PDA

View Full Version : Xref vs Worksets

Wagurto
2004-06-18, 01:22 AM
Is it posible to insert worksets as we insert xref in autocad? I need to create a typical unit apartment and place it multiple time in a typical floor plan. It seams that I can not use workset as I use to use xref. any suggestions?
Thanks

sbrown
2004-06-18, 01:27 AM
You can use a sep. revit file and link it in. YOu won't be able to schedule any of the data but thats the same as xref. This is the biggest current shortcoming of revit, there really is no reliable way to make a unit plan and use it in multiple buildings. Groups can work but you must use the utmost care, do a search on groups and you will find a whitepaper on this topic that will help you do it without too much pain.

beegee
2004-06-18, 01:48 AM
Wes Macaulay's white paper ( that Scott referrs to ) is here (http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?p=26007#post26007).

BomberAIA
2004-06-18, 11:37 AM
I work on a lot of multifamily projects and the following is the way I currently produce a project in Revit. I draw the exterior walls of the building. I then draw the 1st unit of the interior walls and insert doors and group those items. This will allow me to copy and mirror the unit. I then do the same for each unit type. I place a roof on it and add all the sweeps to the model (fascia, trim, etc.) Then I'm able to create another building type by copying the 1st building. I keep each building type in the same file. I then can add bath fixtures, counter tops and equipment to each group. Make sure the families are not dependent on walls. This seems to work for me after trying linking and separate files. I hope this help.

Wagurto
2004-06-19, 01:54 AM
Thank you very much guys for all the wonderful tips and pointers. I don't feel alone in this aventure anymore.
Will