PDA

View Full Version : SURVEYING BASICS

cpacinello
2006-10-06, 06:48 PM
A COURSE ON THE BASICS OF SURVEYING.

CADKitty
2006-10-06, 07:56 PM
Hi,

Were you looking for a specific software package, or actually standing out in the street with those pole-thingies?

Also, in the forums using caps lock is considered yelling...just FYI...

Opie
2006-10-06, 09:40 PM
Hi,

Were you looking for a specific software package, or actually standing out in the street with those pole-thingies?

Also, in the forums using caps lock is considered yelling...just FYI...

"those pole-thingies" :confused: :lol:

It's usually called a "prysm pole" because it has a prysm at the top of the pole. The person holding "those pole thingies" are called "rodmen". ;) :p

Railrose
2006-10-07, 06:59 PM
It's usually called a "prysm pole" because it has a prysm at the top of the pole. The person holding "those pole thingies" are called "rodmen". ;) :p
Around here, the rodmen are the absolute basic newbies, therefore, are called DAR's. DAR = dumb @$$ rodman. No offense to rodmen out there, but that's local terminology & I had nothing to do with it. ;)

Opie
2006-10-07, 09:02 PM
Around here, the rodmen are the absolute basic newbies, therefore, are called DAR's. DAR = dumb @$$ rodman. No offense to rodmen out there, but that's local terminology & I had nothing to do with it. ;)
It's not a glamorous job either. But it beats being a laborer.

Railrose
2006-10-08, 02:29 AM
It's not a glamorous job either. But it beats being a laborer.
I know. We got a sample of it in drafting school.

dkoch
2006-10-08, 05:18 PM
Sounds like the equivalent of getting to hold the "dumb end" of the tape measure on an architectural "survey" of existing conditions. That assumes, of course, that the project budget and staffing allow for at least two people to go on the survey. I would rather be at the dumb end of tape measure than what ususally happens - being the sole person "surveying" and trying to hold both ends! :screwy:

[I put "surveying" in quotation marks because I know taking a bunch of field dimensions in an existing building and then pretending the walls are all parallel and perpendicular and trying to get a half-way reasonable representation in the drawing is not the same as measuring distances, angles and changes in elevation with proper equipment.]

Railrose
2006-10-08, 08:52 PM
Sounds like the equivalent of getting to hold the "dumb end" of the tape measure on an architectural "survey" of existing conditions. That assumes, of course, that the project budget and staffing allow for at least two people to go on the survey. I would rather be at the dumb end of tape measure than what ususally happens - being the sole person "surveying" and trying to hold both ends! :screwy:

[I put "surveying" in quotation marks because I know taking a bunch of field dimensions in an existing building and then pretending the walls are all parallel and perpendicular and trying to get a half-way reasonable representation in the drawing is not the same as measuring distances, angles and changes in elevation with proper equipment.]
I know what you mean. I did some contract work drawing existing buildings on the local air base. Many times I had to go out & get measurements & hold both ends of the tape. I don't miss those days at all.

margaretl
2006-10-12, 03:06 PM
We have gone high tech and have a laser distance meter for our Condominium Surveys. Still need two people though. Not all interior corners provide the right surface for measuring the walls, so person number two holds a clipboard. How would you like that job?

dkoch
2006-10-12, 04:38 PM
We have gone high tech and have a laser distance meter for our Condominium Surveys. Still need two people though. Not all interior corners provide the right surface for measuring the walls, so person number two holds a clipboard. How would you like that job?
That would depend upon where is the job located and how much it pays [$ and benefits]. ;-)

amarq13
2006-10-18, 03:46 PM

:lol: Having been a DAR and the instrument man, I prefer the DAR. Living up north and having to endure the chills that come with it, standing still and pressing buttons verses walking all over the site with the rod and staying warm, being a DAR is a lot more inviting!

With the advent of electronic data collectors hooking up to the total stations, I now call running the instrument "being on the stupid end." At least being a rodman there's some brainwork involved along with footwork. The instrument man, however, does only what the data collector says.

cunzner
2006-10-23, 12:54 PM
:lol: Having been a DAR and the instrument man, I prefer the DAR. Living up north and having to endure the chills that come with it, standing still and pressing buttons verses walking all over the site with the rod and staying warm, being a DAR is a lot more inviting!

With the advent of electronic data collectors hooking up to the total stations, I now call running the instrument "being on the stupid end." At least being a rodman there's some brainwork involved along with footwork. The instrument man, however, does only what the data collector says.

I'd have to agree with you on the monkey pushing the buttons thing. You have to have some kind of knowledge or experience to know what to shoot and what is important. My party chief was the one that always ran the rod. He preferred it that way.