PDA

View Full Version : Removing Sheet Set Link from a Drawing

mboyer
2006-10-13, 08:33 PM
Once you've created a sheet set, is there a way to un-associate the sheet set from a drawing for the purpose of being able to select the same drawing to get it's layout for a new sheet set?

Opie
2006-10-13, 08:40 PM
Remove it from the original Sheet Set.

mboyer
2006-10-13, 08:49 PM
If I do that, then my original "Prototype" Sheet set is compromised.
Here's what I'm trying to do.
I created a Prototype Sheet set for a specific project. Now, when I try to create a new sheet set based on that prototype, I don't get near the results I thought I would get. I assumed that my layouts from the prototype would come in for the new sheet set. Not the case. So, I thought I'd copy the dwg files from the prototype to an alternate directory so that I could select them to get those layouts. Not the case.

Any thoughts? Anyone??

Opie
2006-10-13, 08:56 PM
Are you setting up each sheet prior to adding it to the Sheet Set? How many changes are you needing to make to make it usable? Can you set up a template that would do what you need?

mboyer
2006-10-13, 09:01 PM
Would the template not be associated w/ a sheet set?
Currently, we ARE using templates (2004 release)
I was hoping that sheet set manager would allow the entire set to be created from the prototypical sheet set.

If I use templates now (unless I'm just missing something) each sheet would be created from it's associated template. Then, once the sheets were all set up, one would have to go into sheet set manager and "Hook" them all up. Does that sound right?

Opie
2006-10-13, 09:11 PM
You can link a template to your Sheet Set and have the SSM to use the chosen template upon creation of new drawings.

I do not know how you currently set up projects. My current setup for Sheet Sets is to use a few base maps for my existing conditions and design work. I then use independent Sheet drawings and XREF the base maps into the Sheet. You could (and probably should) set up different views in your base maps to bring in the appropriate view to each Sheet. You could then use the callouts SSM provides to link your drawings.

You might also look into the New Features Workshop on Sheet Sets.

Good Luck.

mboyer
2006-10-13, 09:15 PM
Thanks!! Sounds like I'll need it. Can you assign more than one template to a sheet set?

Opie
2006-10-13, 09:48 PM
I'm not sure. I have not tried it.

Mike.Perry
2006-10-14, 03:09 AM
Hi "mboyer" ( Sorry, I do not know your real name )

Please note I have *moved* this thread from the AutoCAD Customization (http://forums.augi.com/forumdisplay.php?f=118) forum to this one, as I feel this particular forum is a more appropriate place for such a topic.

Thanks, Mike

Forum Manager

Chris.N
2006-10-14, 12:57 PM
Thanks!! Sounds like I'll need it. Can you assign more than one template to a sheet set?you could maybe set the 'promp for template' (?) option to 'yes' in the SSM properties.

Chris.N
2006-10-14, 01:04 PM
Once you've created a sheet set, is there a way to un-associate the sheet set from a drawing for the purpose of being able to select the same drawing to get it's layout for a new sheet set?ok, i do something like this for my standard front end sheets and the schedules sheet. the only thing is, i don't have any linked views, just fields. and when i got the templates how i needed them, i did what Rich said, Remove Sheet from the template SSM so you don't get errors when importing them into your new SSM. i don't think there's a way to have them permanently linked with all the pathing issues that the SSM uses.

what i have set up is a 'template' directory that contains our standard file structure and these drawings. once i have copied these files to the new project folder and opened up Acad(2006), i start a 'new' ssm and use the SSM template option. once i have all my info, i then use the 'import sheets' option for under the subsets i'm using.

for my schedule sheet, all i have to do is re-associate the tables to the new files once they are created. (room finish schedule and door schedule)

for anything that requires linked views, i don't bother so i can avoid that massive headache. with the easy way 2006 can drag n drop the views, it's just way easer once the sheets are in place.

mboyer
2006-10-16, 12:27 PM
Ok, so let me see if I got this right. In my current Prototype Sheet Set (PSS), I should create template files for each sheet. Once created, remove the sheets from the PSS. Then, when I create a new Sheet Set, select the template files that are no longer associated w/ the PSS.

My name is Marc by the way. Thanks for all the advice. I've been working in cad for about 10 years now and just recently became the CAD Manager for a firm w/ about 50 cad users. You'll be hearing a lot from me!!

Chris.N
2006-10-16, 01:23 PM
Ok, so let me see if I got this right. In my current Prototype Sheet Set (PSS), I should create template files for each sheet. Once created, remove the sheets from the PSS. Then, when I create a new Sheet Set, select the template files that are no longer associated w/ the PSS.

My name is Marc by the way. Thanks for all the advice. I've been working in cad for about 10 years now and just recently became the CAD Manager for a firm w/ about 50 cad users. You'll be hearing a lot from me!!yeah, once you have the SSM and the files (sheet titles and misc fields) working properly, remove the proto sheets from the SSM, move your SSM file to your 'template' directory, and also your proto sheets to a write protected location. you will just copy these to the new project and then import.

i'm in a similar boat. been cadding for 13 or so. they're not ready to call me a cad manager yet, so i'm stuck with a 'facilitator' type of moniker.... it makes me feel like a midwife of sorts, but i'll take whatever they give me for a more interesting job....

Chris.N
2006-10-16, 01:24 PM
and nice to meet you Marc!

:beer:

mboyer
2006-10-16, 01:51 PM
Thanks!! I'll give it a whirl and see how it goes.