PDA

View Full Version : Getting Revit 9.1 to see new License Servers

bcambridge
2006-10-18, 09:03 PM
We have recently upgraded our servers. I have installed FlexLM on the new server and have it running with the new license file. The problem is getting the programs to look to the new server. For ACAD 2007, all I had to do was turn off the FlexLM on the old server, then when starting ACAD, it asked for the new location. Seems to work seemlessly. However, I cannot got Revit 9.1 to change over. any suggestions?? Thanks!

rkmcswain
2006-10-19, 01:55 AM
We have recently upgraded our servers. I have installed FlexLM on the new server and have it running with the new license file. The problem is getting the programs to look to the new server. For ACAD 2007, all I had to do was turn off the FlexLM on the old server, then when starting ACAD, it asked for the new location. Seems to work seemlessly. However, I cannot got Revit 9.1 to change over. any suggestions?? Thanks!

Assuming Revit works the same (and it should AFAIK) - refer to this document for the places that the software will look for the LM (and the order in which it searches)
http://support.autodesk.com/getdoc.asp?ID=TS71384

Allow me to also submit this.

I use only the Windows environment variable (ADSKFLEX_LICENSE_FILE). No registry changes, no LIC files, etc. --- and since I switched to this method, I have had ZERO problems and ZERO dialogs asking for the server.

In my case, I have to push this out to several NLM users, so I created a VBS file and call this VBS file in the networked "Acad.lsp" file. Now I don't think that Revit will run lisp, but you can apply the theory to your situation, maybe use a Windows startup script.

See this link for an example of the VBS file and LSP code. http://discussion.autodesk.com/thread.jspa?threadID=513225

Unless of course this is just for one user, then just set this variable manually.

pould
2006-10-20, 06:47 AM
You can also use LM_LICENSE_FILE environment variable which will work for any flexlm application.

-- Poul
----------------
Need an inexpensive solution for license monitoring? Look at License Statistics - http://www.x-formation.com/license_statistics/index.html

LRaiz
2006-10-20, 12:24 PM
I think suggestions by rkmcswain and pould may be true for Autocad based applications but may not work for Revit.

Did you try pressing Help > Product and License Information... button? I don't have 9.1 but in 9.0 and prior version the dialog provided a field for switching Flex server.

rkmcswain
2006-10-21, 12:55 PM
I think suggestions by rkmcswain and pould may be true for Autocad based applications but may not work for Revit.

Why not?
Doesn't Revit use the same FlexLM based licensing system?

The function of finding a LM is independent of the application (AutoCAD, Revit, etc).

Interested to hear more....

LRaiz
2006-10-21, 01:58 PM
The fact that Revit uses the same toolkit for licensing, the same Autodesk network FlexLM server, and the same back-end does not mean that Revit has the same UI or makes use of any environment variables. Revit provides its own UI that in the view of designers would make things easier for end users. For example network installation of Revit is vastly different from Autocad based products. Instead of applying Autocad recipes it may make sense to try doing things the way how software is designed to operate.

bcambridge
2006-10-24, 01:33 PM
Yup, I figured that would be a easy tool to use to switch over. When I change the license server name, it states that it can no longer find the license server and goes into demo mode. Once I restart the program as required, it comes back up as the old license server. I've even changed the licpath file, thinking it might look to that. No such luck. I was just thinking someone must have done this already.

rkmcswain
2006-10-24, 05:55 PM
This KB article seems to support what I have been saying - that is that the LM reads the local environment variable to determine what LM to look for.

http://support.autodesk.com/getdoc.asp?ID=TS1052325

Have you looked at the value of this environment variable?
Have you tried setting it to the name of your new server?

bcambridge
2006-10-24, 08:18 PM
After reading the article, and checking my own enviromental variables, I do not have anything listed for LM. It appears to be all windows variables. I did notice the article refered to a distributed server setup, ours is a single network license. I have looked into the registry, and there are variables in there, but they all point to the C:\program files directory. which is where the licpaths are stored, but changing those does not seem to change anything. I think my next step tonight will be to reinstall the program on my machine with the new license server in the deployment. that will tell me if it is burried in the computer somewhere or is a program variable.

rkmcswain
2006-10-24, 09:30 PM
After reading the article, and checking my own enviromental variables, I do not have anything listed for LM. It appears to be all windows variables. I did notice the article refered to a distributed server setup, ours is a single network license. I have looked into the registry, and there are variables in there, but they all point to the C:\program files directory. which is where the licpaths are stored, but changing those does not seem to change anything. I think my next step tonight will be to reinstall the program on my machine with the new license server in the deployment. that will tell me if it is burried in the computer somewhere or is a program variable.

But have you tried setting the enviroment variable on this machine?? This is much easier than a reinstall.

LRaiz
2006-10-24, 09:30 PM
My knowledge may not be up to date and 9.1 handles things differently. In previous versions environment variable played a role only in case of distributed servers (three servers). In case of a single server everything used to be controlled by Help > Product and License Information dialog. If this dialog does not work for you then you may want to get in touch with Customer Service and report a possible bug.

bcambridge
2006-11-01, 06:30 PM
Well, We have it figured out.

depending on how the variable in the registry for FlexLM is set, determines what server the license will be pulled from. That and also we realized Autodesk sent us a license key for the new server as revit series 9.0 instead of 9.1. Because we are running four programs (2004, 2005, 2007, and Revit 9.1) off of two servers, I need to specify in the registry which servers to look for. If that variable is not set, it then goes to the first program opened which would have been 2004 or 2005, then looks to the licpath file in those program directories for the server. So if a user had been using 2005 before 2007, the licencse path would look to the licpath under 2005 which pointed to the older server, therefore, when they would open 2007, it would still point to the older server. so to solve the problem during this transition, I have pointed the variable in the registry under Flexlm to first point to the new server, than the old server. that way it will first look to those servers for those licenses before going to the licpath files. Then when we are ready to turn off 2004 and 2005, I just need to shut down that license manager on the older server. Hope this made sense. Thanks for everyones input!