PDA

View Full Version : Will Raster Design convert a PDF to a DWG?

stusic
2006-10-25, 05:47 PM
Will Raster Design convert a pdf to a dwg? If not, are there any programs available that will convert a pdf into a high-resolution tiff (or comparable) to bring into RD?

Thanks!

Railrose
2006-10-25, 06:01 PM
That's something I haven't tried. I know it won't go directly from PDF to DWG, & a PDF can't be inserted into a DWG via RD like a normal image. I'll see what I can come up with.

stusic
2006-10-25, 06:12 PM
That's something I haven't tried. I know it won't go directly from PDF to DWG, & a PDF can't be inserted into a DWG via RD like a normal image. I'll see what I can come up with.Thanks Jane, I appreciate it! I'm looking around myself to see what I can use to convert it to a high-res TIFF. Would that be the best format to convert it to? I'm hoping to get around 400 dpi so I'll get a better conversion from RD.

Thanks Again!

Railrose
2006-10-25, 06:20 PM
Thanks Jane, I appreciate it! I'm looking around myself to see what I can use to convert it to a high-res TIFF. Would that be the best format to convert it to? I'm hoping to get around 400 dpi so I'll get a better conversion from RD.

Thanks Again!
What will you be using it for? If only a background image, bmp or cals might be a better format. They create smaller files. Tif is best if they will be edited. Either format should allow the 400 dpi. Jpg can be inserted into a drawing, but they tend to lose information. You may have to play with the formats to see what you can get from your PDF reader.

stusic
2006-10-25, 06:44 PM
What will you be using it for? If only a background image, bmp or cals might be a better format. They create smaller files. Tif is best if they will be edited. Either format should allow the 400 dpi. Jpg can be inserted into a drawing, but they tend to lose information. You may have to play with the formats to see what you can get from your PDF reader.I've got a pdf of a press roller that was drawn in the concept phase. I need to update this drawing to an as-built, so I need it to be in vector format for editing. One file, but the sheet is 8' x 2', and crammed with info.

I've converted from the PDF to a TIFF through our nifty Oce Plotter software, but...

I was trying to download the trial version of RD because I will only need it this one time, but apparently I can only download Raster Design 2007, which is only compatible with ACAD 2007. I'm using 2004. Grr...

Railrose
2006-10-25, 06:51 PM
I've got a pdf of a press roller that was drawn in the concept phase. I need to update this drawing to an as-built, so I need it to be in vector format for editing. One file, but the sheet is 8' x 2', and crammed with info.

I've converted from the PDF to a TIFF through our nifty Oce Plotter software, but...

I was trying to download the trial version of RD because I will only need it this one time, but apparently I can only download Raster Design 2007, which is only compatible with ACAD 2007. I'm using 2004. Grr...
If you only need it for tracing, it will insert into AutoCAD. You can rotate & scale it to fit your needs, then trace over it to make vector lines. Afterwards, you can erase the tif file.

stusic
2006-10-25, 07:02 PM
I was hoping I wouldn't have to trace it - doesn't RD convert it to vector format for me?

Railrose
2006-10-25, 07:07 PM
I was hoping I wouldn't have to trace it - doesn't RD convert it to vector format for me?
Not automatically. It does have some neat tools to pick individual lines & it will turn them into vector lines. To make it work, it has to be scanned as a bitonal image. Colored images can be turned into bitonal, but you can lose the clarity of text.

stusic
2006-10-25, 07:22 PM
Not automatically. It does have some neat tools to pick individual lines & it will turn them into vector lines. To make it work, it has to be scanned as a bitonal image. Colored images can be turned into bitonal, but you can lose the clarity of text.I have a bitonal image - black and white! Two tones! Haha!

Oh, this is getting confusing and more trouble than it seems to be worth. I wonder if Scan2CAD would work better...

:banghead:

I'm going to leave work early and drink margaritas...

:Puffy:

Thanks Jane!

Railrose
2006-10-25, 07:28 PM
I have a bitonal image - black and white! Two tones! Haha!

Oh, this is getting confusing and more trouble than it seems to be worth. I wonder if Scan2CAD would work better...

:banghead:

I'm going to leave work early and drink margaritas...

:Puffy:

Thanks Jane!
I've heard Scan2CAD works pretty well, but make sure you double check everything.
Drink one for me.

stusic
2006-10-25, 07:40 PM
I've heard Scan2CAD works pretty well, but make sure you double check everything.
Drink one for me.I'll drink two for ya. Thanks!

Railrose
2006-10-25, 07:42 PM
I'll drink two for ya. Thanks!
Sounds good. I love those things.
I wish I could've been more help.

stusic
2006-10-25, 08:09 PM
Sounds good. I love those things.
I wish I could've been more help.No problem - I think someone should have told me something about Raster Design:

"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

Thanks for the help :)

Mike.Perry
2006-10-26, 07:05 AM
Will Raster Design convert a pdf to a dwg? If not, are there any programs available that will convert a pdf into a high-resolution tiff (or comparable) to bring into RD?Hi

Try plugging the following search criteria into the forum search (http://forums.augi.com/search.php?) faciltiy...

Key Word(s): Convert + *PDF* + *DWG*

Import + *PDF* + *DWG*

Insert + *PDF* + *DWG*

Plus, maybe take a look at something like...

XnView (http://perso.orange.fr/pierre.g/xnview/enxnview.html)

NConvert (http://perso.orange.fr/pierre.g/xnview/en_nconvert.html)

Have a good one, Mike

cadmanger
2006-11-30, 10:02 PM
You need to check out "GTX Raster CAD." This is very powerful 3rd party software that will convert raster images to vector. It even has OCR. It is worth the money for our company. I have not purchased an updated version in a long while. I do not know if they have released a 2005, 2006, or 2007 as of this time.

rkmcswain
2007-07-30, 05:31 PM
Will Raster Design convert a pdf to a dwg? If not, are there any programs available that will convert a pdf into a high-resolution tiff (or comparable) to bring into RD?

Depending on the contents of the PDF itself (whether it contains raster or vector data), you may get your desired results using one of these applications.

http://www.dotsoft.com/pdfimport.htm

http://www.dotsoft.com/pdfconvert.htm

abuselin
2009-08-27, 05:29 AM
If you have adequate time and you request a high quality raster to vector drawing, RD is your best choice. There are many pdf to image converters online, one of them I'm using is from AXPDF: http://www.axpdf.com/pdf_to_image/pdf2tiff.html. It is a shareware but you can still use it to convert to a high-res tiff and convert into DWG with RD.

For easier methods and more convenient to get DWG directly from PDF is to get some converters. You can search in Google http://www.google.com/search?q=convert+pdf+to+dwg&hl=en&sourceid=gd&rlz=1Q1GGLD_enCN340CN340&aq=t