PDA

View Full Version : Project Browser Sorting

raddis
2006-10-26, 02:24 PM
I'm sure it has been asked a 100 times already, so I apologize for not thread surfing, but...
We have created a "boat-load" of plan callouts. They unfortunately are "Floor Plan" types and I have no way to change that apparently in Revit, so they sort with all the full floor plans.

I've tried a few different Browser scenarios, like scale, etc., but I like the way All sorts, just want the Callouts in their own section, like Floor Plans, Ceiling Plans, Callout Plans.

Has anyone figured out a way to do this?

cphubb
2006-10-26, 03:09 PM
Reid,

You will need to add a new parameter to your project that controls views. You will then assign values to this that will categorize your views. Then set a browser view that sorts or filters using this parameter and your are in great shape.

In your project parameters dialog add a new parameter and set views as its category. The go to your view properties for the views to be assigned and enter a value in the parameter.

Your browser settings dialog will then be able to use this as a group or filter.

Justin Marchiel
2006-10-26, 03:30 PM
have a look at this thread: http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=49281

we where just talking about this same sort of thing but as it applied to sheets. Just change the parameter from drawing sheets to views and the principal remains the same.

Justin

raddis
2006-10-26, 07:26 PM
Thanks.
I've done this and it is going to require some tinkering with.
I'm using Other and Text and Group parameter and type.

m.thomas
2006-10-26, 08:03 PM
For all others viewing this post read through the great advice from Wes as in the link below. I found it a great help in organising the browser.

http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=35295

aaronrumple
2006-10-26, 08:14 PM
I'm sure it has been asked a 100 times already, so I apologize for not thread surfing, but...
We have created a "boat-load" of plan callouts. They unfortunately are "Floor Plan" types and I have no way to change that apparently in Revit, so they sort with all the full floor plans.

I've tried a few different Browser scenarios, like scale, etc., but I like the way All sorts, just want the Callouts in their own section, like Floor Plans, Ceiling Plans, Callout Plans.

Has anyone figured out a way to do this?

What's your naming scheme for your views? Or it a free-for-all?
A good naming scheme can be very helpful in keeping the prowser roganized.

cphubb
2006-10-26, 08:40 PM
We use both a good naming scheme and a couple of parameters to help organize our browser. Any view that is not going on a sheet is considered a work view. It's name is prefixed with a W. Any view on a sheet is display and prefixed with a D. Presentation stuff is prefixed with a P. We also then assign that to the parameter and often filter or sort the browser to remove the type we are not using. We also have begun trying a user parameter which needs to be filled out. This helps us track who created and is using the views. We hope to be able to automate this soon.

aaronrumple
2006-10-26, 08:51 PM
I've implemented a naming scheme that has pretty well eliminated the need for extra parameters.

We use:
Discipline.Type.Level.Section (Common Name)

We'll have:

A.LVL01
A.LVL01 Existing
A.LVL02
A.LVL01.W
A.LVL01.01.E
A.EP.LVL01 Conference
A.EP.LVL01 Toilets
I.LVL.01.E
WK.LVL02 Existing

WK=Work
A=Architecture
I=Interiors (etc..)
LVL01=Level 01
EP=Enlarged Plan

Interior Elevations are named:
Level.Room Number.Direction (LVL01.204.N)

raddis
2006-10-26, 10:29 PM
The problem is enlarged plan details.
They fall under Floor Plan Type so even though I use numbers like 1-First Floor, 2-Second Floor, etc. having 50 call outs starts to make the list crazy.

I have now added "other View Types" Project Parameters to the Views: regular floor plans are just "Plan", while large scale and callouts are "Plan Enlarged". Seems to be working.

aaronrumple
2006-10-26, 11:35 PM
Are you using the floor plan view for pilaster details, corners and jambs and such? Or just enlarged room plans?

robert.manna
2006-10-27, 12:13 AM
The problem is enlarged plan details.
They fall under Floor Plan Type so even though I use numbers like 1-First Floor, 2-Second Floor, etc. having 50 call outs starts to make the list crazy.

I have now added "other View Types" Project Parameters to the Views: regular floor plans are just "Plan", while large scale and callouts are "Plan Enlarged". Seems to be working.
I've found that a good way to work on details, or at least find them, is to work on them from the sheet view. In Revit you don't take too much of hit for working in the sheets on your seperate views, and you don't have to worry about the issues that go with working in paper space of an ACAD project. Furthmore, you can open the view from the sheet in a seperate window if you need to. Once you know what sheets your details are on you get to stuff pretty easily.

HTH,
-R

bowlingbrad
2006-10-27, 02:46 AM
I've found that a good way to work on details, or at least find them, is to work on them from the sheet view. In Revit you don't take too much of hit for working in the sheets on your seperate views, and you don't have to worry about the issues that go with working in paper space of an ACAD project. Furthmore, you can open the view from the sheet in a seperate window if you need to. Once you know what sheets your details are on you get to stuff pretty easily.

HTH,
-R

I would like to add to Robert's comments above. We also work on views after they are placed on sheets. We then filter the browser to 'not on sheets'. This leaves all of our working views. I personally don't think it's the browser that's the problem. I think it is all of the selection boxes that display EVERY plan view. There is no way to limit this. It should be an internal Revit Yes/No parameter something like "Selectible". This way if it is unchecked, then it doesn't display anywhere.

Brad

raddis
2006-10-27, 01:00 PM
Hmmm....responding to these threads is tricky!
To answer AARON's question, we are using the callouts for enlarged plan details on this project, such as pilasters, column details, etc. They will also be used for enlarged stair plans.

We try to document at 1/4"=1'-0" which tends to add more "plan" sheets to the set, but reduces the need for enlarged room plans.

Why do you ask out of curiousity?

jcoe
2006-10-27, 02:21 PM
I think what Aaron is getting at is that Revit uses two types of callout views; plan and detail. If you use the plan callout type, Revit will sort this as a plan view in your project browser. If you select a detail callout type, Revit will sort these under details in your project browser.

I would recommend using the detail callout type for your columns, pilaster, etc. and using the plan callout type for "true" enlarged plan views such as stairs, toilet rooms, etc. (my 2 cents).

raddis
2006-10-27, 05:02 PM
Got it!
An intern did these BEFORE asking me.
The problem is you can choose apparently only BEFORE they are created.
I went to the View Properties after and the drop down for type only lists Floor Plan.

Anyway to switch to a Detail Plan after the fact?

chris.macko125036
2006-10-27, 06:16 PM
What I just did that seems to be working really well is add a project parameter called view sort. from there I can designate views as 1/8" plans, 1/4" plans, 1/8" working, export plans, details, presentation views, etc. its a 45 story+mechanical level condo tower, so there are quite a few views and sheets, but I can collapse everything down to whatever I am working on to fit on the screen. I did the same thing with sheets so they are sorted by discipline, series, and eventually volume when the set gets big enough, although that was more for the drawing list than the browser.

cphubb
2006-10-29, 11:16 PM
These are all good ideas and work well. The trick (Reid you really need this) is well documented standards for browser organization that everybody understands and buys into. Otherwise if a firm were to use all of these methods there would be chaos.

raddis
2006-10-30, 01:55 PM
Thanks.
We are working a bit with "Chaos Theory" here as this is our "pilot project" that we will be learning much from.

The problem is a wee-bit-o lack of knowledge, plus I can't police everyone all the time.
So I gather there isn't a way after the fact to change these view types?

Thanks for all the support and ideas by the way. A lot of this stuff is "knowledge-use" based that is hard to find/understand from the Help files, if it is even there.

Justin Marchiel
2006-10-30, 04:31 PM
you cant change the type of view that it is (ie building section, wall section), but with project parameters sorting you can change it at any time.

this is a great thing about project parameter sorting, is that you can make as many and change them at any time.

Justin