PDA

View Full Version : Creating a Field from a Visibility State

Alistair0610
2006-10-31, 03:48 PM
I have a dynamic block of various standard symbols. I would like to have some text associated with that block that will display the name of the current visibility state. I'm too lazy to type in the text and associate it with each visibility state, so I was hoping a field may be able to do it for me. Any ideas?

Rico
2006-10-31, 06:14 PM
I have a dynamic block of various standard symbols. I would like to have some text associated with that block that will display the name of the current visibility state. I'm too lazy to type in the text and associate it with each visibility state, so I was hoping a field may be able to do it for me. Any ideas?
I don't think it's possible to link a field to a visibility state.

When I trieds to do that, I kept getting an error message saying that the block's reference had been deleted, but it's still there. I tried 3 or 4 other possibilities and was unsuccessful in getting the field to link to a vis state.

so i don't think it can be done ... yet .... or maybe I'm doing it wrong ....

Chris.N
2006-10-31, 06:54 PM
I don't think it's possible to link a field to a visibility state.

When I trieds to do that, I kept getting an error message saying that the block's reference had been deleted, but it's still there. I tried 3 or 4 other possibilities and was unsuccessful in getting the field to link to a vis state.

so i don't think it can be done ... yet .... or maybe I'm doing it wrong ....you're doing it wrong.... :p

Chris.N
2006-10-31, 06:55 PM
check this out. you have to use the 'blockplaceholder' option, and insert the field at the time of the attribute creation.....

i used my stair block from the sharing thread to count its own risers....

Rico
2006-10-31, 09:44 PM
check this out. you have to use the 'blockplaceholder' option, and insert the field at the time of the attribute creation.....

i used my stair block from the sharing thread to count its own risers....
y'know what? I tried that exact same configuration and it yielded no results for me.

i'll have to go back and re-check everything. there was probably something simple I forgot to do ..... in any case ... I stand corrected. My apologies for getting it wrong.

It's halloween ... probably a result of the massive sugar rush i've been on since 8am .....

Chris.N
2006-10-31, 09:49 PM
y'know what? I tried that exact same configuration and it yielded no results for me.

i'll have to go back and re-check everything. there was probably something simple I forgot to do ..... in any case ... I stand corrected. My apologies for getting it wrong.

It's halloween ... probably a result of the massive sugar rush i've been on since 8am .....'exactly'??? ;) did you 'sync' it after? did you regen? did you check it to show up for all vis states? didjadidjadidja? (<-got my own sugar rush going)

oh, and you're supposed to give the candy to the KIDS, Rico! :p

Rico
2006-10-31, 09:57 PM
'exactly'??? ;) did you 'sync' it after? did you regen? did you check it to show up for all vis states? didjadidjadidja? (<-got my own sugar rush going)

oh, and you're supposed to give the candy to the KIDS, Rico! :p
I DO!

One for them, one for me ... one for them, two for me ...

Maybe I just forgot to attsync it afterwards. and I know I didn't regen or purge the old values .... (*sigh*) .... where's the dunce hat? (*sulking towards corner*)

Chris.N
2006-10-31, 10:01 PM
I DO!

One for them, one for me ... one for them, two for me ...

Maybe I just forgot to attsync it afterwards. and I know I didn't regen or purge the old values .... (*sigh*) .... where's the dunce hat? (*sulking towards corner*)i think you're exempt cuz of basic geometry... (round hat, block head).... ahem.... :Oops:

anyway, the quick tests get the best of us....

(now share that candy like your mama taught you!)

Rico
2006-10-31, 10:08 PM
i think you're exempt cuz of basic geometry... (round hat, block head).... ahem.... :Oops:

anyway, the quick tests get the best of us....

(now share that candy like your mama taught you!)i am able to squeeze a round block into a square hole ....... so maybe i am not exempt ....

you can have the old gummies but the chocolate belongs to ME!

This is how my mom taught me to share .... none for them, one for me ..... none for them .... two for me ... ;)

Chris.N
2006-10-31, 10:10 PM
i am able to squeeze a round block into a square hole ....... so maybe i am not exempt ....

you can have the old gummies but the chocolate belongs to ME!

This is how my mom taught me to share .... none for them, one for me ..... none for them .... two for me ... ;)i guess... especially as you have the arrangement backwards again... :p

sure, i've had enough today...

:roll:

Rico
2006-10-31, 10:16 PM
i guess... especially as you have the arrangement backwards again... :p
how about i simply stop posting while i've still got some credibility left ;)

Alistair0610
2006-11-01, 10:19 AM
Thanks guys, that worked perfectly. This is the dynamic block of annotated Universal Columns

Chris.N
2006-11-01, 12:52 PM
Thanks guys, that worked perfectly. This is the dynamic block of annotated Universal Columnsvery nice! may i ask a couple and suggest a couple on this?
why don't you have your scale parameter aligned and matching the text height? it would eliminate the 'math' in figuring out the ratios. i think you can also include the rotate parameter in the scale action to keep that node out of the way, too. maybe changing the scale base would solve that problem tho...

also, I'd include the rotate parameter (not the action) in the attribute's move action. that way you won't have goofy axis locations when you want to rotate after moving your text about.

anyway, good question and idea post!! it has lots of potential in my library! :beer:

Chris.N
2006-11-01, 12:54 PM
oh, and for the future postings, it's easier on the downloaders if you post a file with the block inserted, not just the DB file itself. that way we can see how it behaves in your typical file environment, too.

Alistair0610
2006-11-03, 10:11 AM
Thanks for that, I'll give those a try. The more I learn about Dynamic Blocks, the more I want to go back and fix earlier ones that I've created.

Chris.N
2006-11-03, 12:30 PM
Thanks for that, I'll give those a try. The more I learn about Dynamic Blocks, the more I want to go back and fix earlier ones that I've created.welcome to the DBaholics Annonymous Club! http://forums.augi.com/images/icons/icon14.gif

wommack
2006-11-09, 09:41 PM
Cool. Now, can you pull the Lookup Properties discription from a lookup list?

Chris.N
2006-11-17, 12:43 PM
Cool. Now, can you pull the Lookup Properties discription from a lookup list?yup! just make sure you create the lookup first, then add the field in the attribute at the time you create the attribute.

i've attached a screen shot of mine, and for the top choice, you just need to have a single empty space, or it won't let you exit the lookup dialog or use 'allow reverse lookup'.