PDA

View Full Version : I would like some pictures showing what a cad user can do with 2 screens.

robert.1.hall72202
2006-11-01, 01:44 PM
I am looking to make a case to get dual screens in my office.
I would like some pictures showing what a cad user can do with 2 screens.

I know some of you out in AugiLand have 2 screens. Can you take
some pictures for me? I will use them for demonstration purposes only.

H-Angus
2006-11-01, 02:15 PM

Acad on one, AUGI on the other - How can they not approve that? :wink:

But seriously, I'm also quite interested in what people use dual monitors for, I've been partitioning to get a dual system for a while now but to no avail. I don't know too much about it but from what I understand I'd need either a second video card or one that supports dual monitors - is that correct?

cadkiller
2006-11-01, 04:30 PM
Here goes one running at 1920 X 1200 resolution each.

It would be so much better if you could get 2 - 30" LCD's running at 2560 X 1600 each.

Imagine how much less zooming and how much more space you will have for toolbars, palettes, extra windows, multi tasking, etc.

PS: Dell, Apple and now Samsung has them and prices should be dropping soon (I hope).

Good luck convincing them

cadkiller
2006-11-01, 05:17 PM
Here is another one running Revit over two screens.

cadkiller
2006-11-01, 05:20 PM
And another one running 2 sessions of Revit.
One as read only or a different project.

powermarc
2006-11-01, 05:25 PM
Here is my setup - 2 19" ViewSonic displays running 1280x1024 each. I think from this and the other screenshots sent in so far that it's easy to see the benefit of two monitors.

cadkiller
2006-11-01, 05:33 PM
Last one Revit in one window and windows explorer in the other.
Drag and drop your content from one window to the other.

robert.1.hall72202
2006-11-01, 06:13 PM
Those look like great ideas for architecture.

How about mechanical projects?

stusic
2006-11-01, 09:07 PM
Any occupation that involves a lot of computer usage would benefit from dual monitors. Just as larger screens and higher resolutions improve productivity, dual screens extend that functionality by allowing more viewable area.

A user who multi-tasks can easily benefit from dual displays by being able to continuously monitor their email program while continuing to work with their primary software. This saves time from switching back and forth between applications. This may not seem like much, but think of it like this: Switching applications takes maybe two seconds. Multiply this by how many times a day you bring up your Outlook window to see who new email is from. This time adds up fast and the long-term time savings benefits should be obvious.

As a CAD user, my dual displays are indispensible. From comparing two drawings side by side or working with two different views of the same model, two displays allows me to function in a way that's impractical with a single display.

Also, as it is with my field of work, my graphics card was dual display capable even before I got two monitors; this was because I needed the GPU processing power and there weren't too many cards that had the power without being dual display capable.

I'm not exactly sure what you do, but I would go out on a limb and say that any CAD field where you are manipulating 3D or other complex models, dual displays offer the ability to view and edit your model and work in another program, saving your resources from working so hard to minimize the model, display your email client (or explorer or your browser or whatever), then re-display your model.

If you can, do it. In any circumstance, you won't be disappointed.

ekubaskie
2006-11-01, 10:00 PM
Life in the civil world on 1 screen and on 2 - and this is just CAD, no email, browser, etc.

Contrived to be a bit extreme, I admit, but I've always got at least 3 palettes going, plus email, and sometimes GIS as well.

robert.1.hall72202
2006-11-02, 06:07 PM
Also, as it is with my field of work, my graphics card was dual display capable even before I got two monitors; this was because I needed the GPU processing power and there weren't too many cards that had the power without being dual display capable.

I have the same situation, however, getting IT to spend a meager 200 bucks on an
additional LCD screen is quite the battle.

I need to get some ammo in order to convince the higher authorities that my daily life would be much easier with 2 screens.

bowlingbrad
2006-11-02, 07:24 PM
If you have a computer sitting idle, just use Remote Desktop and flip between the two. You can get twice the computing power. Primitve but functional.

avdesign
2006-11-02, 07:28 PM
I used to have a great Whitepaper from Apple discussing Large Displays and Multiple Displays but I can't find it so maybe these links will help.

http://www.dmreview.com/article_sub.cfm?articleId=1044591
http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=16131
http://www.windowsitpro.com/Windows/Article/ArticleID/47573/47573.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dual_monitor
http://www.doublesight.com/download/dd.pdf
http://www.realtimesoft.com/

dmo1205342273
2007-04-16, 06:06 PM
I just started a new job and they set me up with Dual Monitors right away. (I didn't even have to ask) I've never had them and at my last job I would have never asked because anything related to AutoCAD was put on the back burner. (very GIS oriented environment) So I have two monitors now and I'm trying to get them setup to have two views of the same project. I want one to be an overview on half of the right screen with the other half of the right screen for tool pallets & property dialog box etc. I want the left monitor to be for my primary drafting. So far I can't get AutoCAD to unevenly split the screens. Any Ideas?

Thanks

D

madcadder
2007-04-16, 07:22 PM
So far I can't get AutoCAD to unevenly split the screens.

It won't. Even is all ya get. Sorry.

dzatto
2007-04-29, 12:50 AM
I just started a new job and they set me up with Dual Monitors right away. (I didn't even have to ask) I've never had them and at my last job I would have never asked because anything related to AutoCAD was put on the back burner. (very GIS oriented environment) So I have two monitors now and I'm trying to get them setup to have two views of the same project. I want one to be an overview on half of the right screen with the other half of the right screen for tool pallets & property dialog box etc. I want the left monitor to be for my primary drafting. So far I can't get AutoCAD to unevenly split the screens. Any Ideas?

Thanks

DYou could try not docking your tool palletes and property dialogue box, then it would just "cover" the drawing area that is not used. I personally am running dual Dell 20.1" ultra sharp wide screens. I used to run dual 19" flat screens. I lose about an inch in height, but pick up about 4" in width. Anyway, I stretch one cad session across both monitors, and have the left screen split horizonally (top and elevation views), and the right screen with one viewport in perspective. My toolbars are minimized and not docked. They fly out when I need them.

rjcrowther
2007-04-29, 07:29 AM
I use my screens for different programs.

I have a 21 inch widescreen LCD and a 17 inch CRT (the old one that I am wishing would break).

Usually I have cad ( be it Revit or AutoCAD) on one and often outlook on the other.

The best use for my method of working is to save the smaller one for reference files (PDF's of manufacturers stuff, checklists in word docs, internet, etc) and the larger screen for cad.

If using AutoCAD only, the second screen gets filled with properties box, tool palettes, some toolbars that I find useful.

The absolute best and efficient use is for the times I require AutoCAD and Revit open at the same time. I would hate to reference AutoCAD whilst producing a Revit drawing on the same screen. The flipping between the two would annoying to say the least.

The next best and efficient use I have found is to have two sessions of Autocad open and view separate drawings - usually when using a secondary drawing as an example to produce the primary drawing. People screw up their nose for this being a suitable use for two screens (there is Ctrl/Tab I know) -but I find that after talking to the same people after they have their second screen they do this surprising often - cut and paste between similar drawings is very handy as is viewing two things at once.

I am surprised this is an issue for management these days. The productivity improvement using two screens will pay for itself within 3 months (more likely one month!) - in Australia a goodish 21 inch LCD screen and video card costs about $750. Upper management will waste that on a self indulgent lunch.

If you can produce concrete proof that it is worth the money then good luck. It is one of those things that just should happen because it is easier to work with two screens. I have the benefit of working for myself and after doing some freelance in someone's office for four days using two screens - there was no way I was going back to one screen after that.

Thanks,
Rob

robert.1.hall72202
2007-04-30, 12:58 PM
Thanks for the in depth response. I am putting together a
word document that I can use to make a case for an additional screen.
The responses will definately help.

cadtag
2007-04-30, 02:25 PM
There is a way to get the overall view on a second screen using basic Acad commands. Use the AV command and open up the AerialView window. It will dynamically show the area of the screen the main window is zoomed into as a white box on the miniature AV windows. It also works with layout tab changes.

kinda a helpful trick. along wih undocking all the movable windows and pallettes to the second screen,

jaberwok
2007-04-30, 06:09 PM
There is a way to get the overall view on a second screen using basic Acad commands. Use the AV command and open up the AerialView window. It will dynamically show the area of the screen the main window is zoomed into as a white box on the miniature AV windows. It also works with layout tab changes.

Wow. Just like the old days. :-)
I remember doing that under DOS with a third-party display driver that provided a "bird's-eye view. Of course, the second screen was usually 14" mono.

affdesco
2007-05-08, 04:17 PM
Here is a "dual view" pic of Revit across both screen with each screen working independently. The system uses a quadro 4400 graphics card, a dell 21" monitor rotated vertically and a dell 30" monitor horizontally. The resolutions are great at 1600x1200 on the 21" and 2560x1600 on the 30". This has been a fantastic working arrangement.

thomas.stright
2007-05-09, 12:58 AM
Dual 21" CRT's

rjcrowther
2007-05-09, 03:31 AM
Dual 21" CRT's
Looks good.

What would you do if you had to go back to a 14 inch green screen?

mark.forward
2007-05-09, 08:44 AM
Here's a more light hearted perspective on application of dual screens with AutoCAD.

robert.1.hall72202
2007-06-08, 05:02 PM
An update to my original post..........I finally had IT purchase me 22" widescreen monitors.

All I can say is that my cad life is going to alot easier.

I have outlook and my computer located on the lefthand side of one of the screens.
(one above the other) This leaves me a big enough space for an application of my choice.

The second monitor is cad only.

enoc
2007-06-09, 12:54 AM
I started out w/ two 19" CRT's and I was the first one in the office to have them. People thought it was dumb of course but now a lot of our production people have them. I currently have (3) 19" lcds and one 15" lcd that just showed up one day, I think two of the monitors mated over the weekend.

Our office only buys 1 monitor per workstation, people only get two monitors when one comes available. We also started to buy 21" widescreens so dual monitors wont be neccesasry. The widescreens work fine for drafting and having enough room for your palletes.

As for how I work I have ADT on all three monitors, left one being used for design center (on autohide), center screen for drafting, and the right screen for the propoerty pallete. i don't use the tool pallete (or buttons for that matter) so my properties pallet takes up the whole screen.

The left screen is used for windows icons and the taskbar. I also use it to open windows explorer.

The middle screen is my primary viewing screen for e-mails and IE.

The right screen I use for special purposes, like expanding a spreadsheet over two screens (center and right).

The 4th smaller 15" lcd is for my outlook and Itunes windows. It's also used at a display to show my allegiance to the decepticons :)

The extra monitors I paid for myself because if my boss bought me the extra monitors then he would need to do the same for others. I see this more as a luxury item that I enjoy everyday as opposed to a need because i could easily work of a single 21" wide screen monitor, but not a single 19" normal lcd monitor. I tried that after working on two monitors and I struggled because I couldn't tolerate the wait time of my palletes to reappear. It slowed me down.

My CPU is hidden behind the lcds and the 15" monitor sits on top of it.

robert.1.hall72202
2007-06-12, 05:06 PM
My 22" pair looks about the same as those 3 screens in the picture.
What would you need the fourth screen for? Seems a bit much.

enoc
2007-06-19, 08:24 PM
My 22" pair looks about the same as those 3 screens in the picture.
What would you need the fourth screen for? Seems a bit much.

The extra 15" monitor was given to me so I decided to use it. I actually have it unplugged right now because I was using it to clean up another cpu. I havn't noticed any drain on my system when it was plugged in.

I still prefer the 3 monitors as opposed to the two widscreens because I can have my main drafting screen right in front of me instead of the edge of the monitors.

robert.1.hall72202
2007-06-20, 12:19 PM
The extra 15" monitor was given to me so I decided to use it. I actually have it unplugged right now because I was using it to clean up another cpu. I havn't noticed any drain on my system when it was plugged in.

I still prefer the 3 monitors as opposed to the two widscreens because I can have my main drafting screen right in front of me instead of the edge of the monitors.

I don't know about that.........one 22" drafting screen looks pretty sweet! 8)

d_m_hopper
2007-08-08, 01:54 PM

I use my second screen to drag blocks into dwg area, I also use it to see my pdf markups while I work. 2 screens is a huge time saver, long gone are the days of ctrl+tab to go between dwgs or alt+tab to open one of my 6 minimized windows.

good luck getting the second screen

robert.1.hall72202
2007-08-10, 12:27 PM
I use my second screen to drag blocks into dwg area, I also use it to see my pdf markups while I work. 2 screens is a huge time saver, long gone are the days of ctrl+tab to go between dwgs or alt+tab to open one of my 6 minimized windows.

good luck getting the second screen

I did get the second screen. Dual 22" LCDs.
Everyone around here keeps begging me to bring in some movies.

They will never understand the benefits to a CAD user.
They are jealous.

StephenJ
2007-08-13, 01:04 PM
It was a tough decision but for my home office I decided to go with a 24" screen instead of trying to purchase 2 - 19" or 20" monitors. I love the amount of "real estate" I have on my monitor. I think if I start doing more 3D I will get a second 19" monitor. but that is down the line.

robert.1.hall72202
2007-08-13, 01:15 PM
It was a tough decision but for my home office I decided to go with a 24" screen instead of trying to purchase 2 - 19" or 20" monitors. I love the amount of "real estate" I have on my monitor. I think if I start doing more 3D I will get a second 19" monitor. but that is down the line.

Very good point.
I have 2 windows open on one of the screens.
An office document does not take up the entire screen.
In some instances, 1 large screen is just like having 2.

The only program I run in fullscreen mode is AutoCad.

StephenJ
2007-08-13, 02:15 PM
Originally Posted by StephenJ

Very good point.
I have 2 windows open on one of the screens.
An office document does not take up the entire screen.
In some instances, 1 large screen is just like having 2.

The only program I run in fullscreen mode is AutoCad.I do miss having the larger screen when at my morning job and not working from home in the afternoon. It has been three weeks since I have done this and the 19" monitor in the morning makes me feel like I am missing part of my screen. I think someone chopped off the edges of my screen. The other advantage of the larger monitor is I can open multiple documents, browsers, ... and compare them side by side just as if I had 2 monitors.

Spanky
2007-08-21, 01:47 PM

Just think of anything that would require you to switch from one program to another multiple times in a short period of time. Do not make the mistake of buying a widescreen. This will ruin your ability to see mistakes with the naked eye on your screen. It ovals arcs and circles and does not show perpendicular lines as perpendicular. I use the two screen setup mainly for copying. It is the nicest feature in my eyes that the two screens offers. Fight as hard as you can to get dual screens, you'll love it.

robert.1.hall72202
2007-08-22, 07:34 PM
wohoo! Loving it.
And Augi is on the left.

GreenMan415
2007-10-24, 04:29 PM
Depends on how much work I have going at one time. I usally only stick with my 21" LCD, but if I need to I flip up my power house laptop monitor (19") if I need to.