PDA

View Full Version : HP 755 Ink cartridge - shaken or not?

Rico
2006-11-07, 09:47 PM
Wondering about plotting issues people have had ....

Our plotter (some 15 years old) is finally starting to go. But since management does not wanna replace the plotter, we're stuck using old technology (HP755).

Which is fine. It does the job.

But our plotter has recently begin spitting out an error message of service cartridges when the ink cartridge is completely full or half full.

Personally I think the plotter needs a good cleaning. But one of the co-workers here has suggested that the ink cartridge be taken out, shaken and placed back in.

I have my doubts about doing this as I imagine the build up of bubbles may be part of what's causing the issue.

And that is my question.

Is shaking an ink cartridge proper plotting practise? Should it be shaken or not?

Please, discuss.

Opie
2006-11-07, 09:58 PM
Have you replaced the print head lately?

Would the bubbles matter if the ink is coming from the lower portion of the cartridge?

.T.
2006-11-07, 10:03 PM
Stirred, maybe...J/K :)

I wouldn't shake them, either. The big thing that goes wrong with the older HP plotters is that the contacts (that coppery strip where the cartridge goes, and on the cartridge itself) gets dirty and loses contact. I would try cleaning that, very gently, with a q-tip.

Sometimes removing and reseating the cartriges works because it restores contact.

HTH

Rico
2006-11-07, 10:09 PM
Would the bubbles matter if the ink is coming from the lower portion of the cartridge?
Well that's what I wanna find out. ;)

I'm not in our company's CAD department so I have no idea when the last time the print head was replaced.

Rico
2006-11-07, 10:11 PM
Stirred, maybe...J/K :)

I wouldn't shake them, either. The big thing that goes wrong with the older HP plotters is that the contacts (that coppery strip where the cartridge goes, and on the cartridge itself) gets dirty and loses contact. I would try cleaning that, very gently, with a q-tip.

Sometimes removing and reseating the cartriges works because it restores contact.

HTH
Ooooohhhh That's right. I had forgotten about that. At one of my old employers' place I was a favorite employee because I saved them like 4-500$ every time they needed the plotter fixed.

And what did I do? Grab a Q-Tip and clean the ink reservoir and copper strip on the cartridges.

Thanks for refreshing my memory.

Rico
2006-11-07, 10:11 PM
But that still doesn't answer my question .... should ink cartridges be shaken as a general practise?

Railrose
2006-11-07, 10:19 PM
Ooooohhhh That's right. I had forgotten about that. At one of my old employers' place I was a favorite employee because I saved them like 4-500$ every time they needed the plotter fixed.

And what did I do? Grab a Q-Tip and clean the ink reservoir and copper strip on the cartridges.

Thanks for refreshing my memory.
We do that, & add a little alcohol to the q-tip if needed. As far as shaking, we've never tried that. It might help if the plotter sits for long periods of time & the pigment settles in the cartridge, but if it gets regular use, I'm not sure how it would help.

Opie
2006-11-07, 10:20 PM
But that still doesn't answer my question .... should ink cartridges be shaken as a general practise?
Probably not. (http://www.hp.com/oeminkjet/products/Bulk_Ink_maintenance_handling.html)

.T.
2006-11-07, 10:25 PM
~looks at black ink spot on shirt~ :p

Is this a poll? If so, I would say no, don't shake them...

Railrose
2006-11-07, 10:26 PM
I guess it depends on who you ask.
http://service.dell.com/ap/step/1,,139+24198+16761,00.html

Opie
2006-11-07, 10:37 PM
I guess it depends on who you ask.
http://service.dell.com/ap/step/1,,139+24198+16761,00.html
Another HP document (http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?docname=c00372286&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN) doesn't specify about shaking.

Firmso
2006-11-07, 10:55 PM
I've read somewhere that says Shake before using....sometin like dat.
Just don't shake too hard tho.

2006-11-08, 08:42 AM
Shaking, no, turning upside down before you install, yes.

As for the plotter giving false cartridge failures, there are several things you can look at; firstly, as Richard said, check the print heads, secondly, where the cartridges park in the side of the plotter, there is a little sponge or suchlike that is to keep the jets clear, this gets clogged up with dried ink and dust, that wants a clean too. The contacts do wear out on the cartridge seats, as Tim said, be careful with Q-tips though, they can leave cotton strands which is fatal for the cartridges, they can be replaced if they are too worn, also you should replace the drive belt that moves the cartridges across the paper, it ain't pretty when they snap!
There are companies around that will do a service on old HP's, I had a guy come and look at an old 750C a while back, it was failing more than printing, good as new for £180!

Rico
2006-11-08, 01:51 PM
Shaking, no, turning upside down before you install, yes.

As for the plotter giving false cartridge failures, there are several things you can look at; firstly, as Richard said, check the print heads, secondly, where the cartridges park in the side of the plotter, there is a little sponge or suchlike that is to keep the jets clear, this gets clogged up with dried ink and dust, that wants a clean too. The contacts do wear out on the cartridge seats, as Tim said, be careful with Q-tips though, they can leave cotton strands which is fatal for the cartridges, they can be replaced if they are too worn, also you should replace the drive belt that moves the cartridges across the paper, it ain't pretty when they snap!
There are companies around that will do a service on old HP's, I had a guy come and look at an old 750C a while back, it was failing more than printing, good as new for £180!
thanks for the tip. I was reading the document that was posted and it warned against using Q-tips as well. I did that to my last employer's plotter for about a year ... guess I got lucky.

macwizzy06
2006-11-08, 02:11 PM
thanks for the tip. I was reading the document that was posted and it warned against using Q-tips as well. I did that to my last employer's plotter for about a year ... guess I got lucky.
I guess then that there's a lot of us getting lucky around here. I've never thought twice about shaking the catridges up-a-bit. Funny, but they usually behave after that! ;)

Rico
2006-11-08, 02:14 PM
I guess then that there's a lot of us getting lucky around here. I've never thought twice about shaking the catridges up-a-bit. Funny, but they usually behave after that! ;)
Well, wouldn't you behave if you were gonna get roughed up when you didn't do as you were told? :lol:

I think I'm simply gonna reccommend that we call the HP guy to come over and fix this thing.

And I'm gonna push for a new plotter once again ...... the one we're using is 15 some odd years old ....

2006-11-08, 02:26 PM
Well, wouldn't you behave if you were gonna get roughed up when you didn't do as you were told? :lol:

I think I'm simply gonna reccommend that we call the HP guy to come over and fix this thing.

And I'm gonna push for a new plotter once again ...... the one we're using is 15 some odd years old ....My favourite plotter bodge is when the cartridges gum up with dry ink, use a spitty finger across the jets, it makes everyone who knows anything about plotters whince, but it works! (you may need to wash your hands afterwards, though)

I have called out Hp on a number of occasions and always found them less than marvelous, I tend to hire local non-HP techs, for some reason they seem to know more, do more and cost less. :screwy:

macwizzy06
2006-11-08, 02:32 PM

And I'm gonna push for a new plotter once again ...... the one we're using is 15 some odd years old ....
What's this thing about HP plotters that made them last so long? We once had a L... plotter which packed up in 8months (and that was a pretty long time, if you know what i mean) ;)

Rico
2006-11-08, 02:41 PM
My favourite plotter bodge is when the cartridges gum up with dry ink, use a spitty finger across the jets, it makes everyone who knows anything about plotters whince, but it works! (you may need to wash your hands afterwards, though)

I have called out Hp on a number of occasions and always found them less than marvelous, I tend to hire local non-HP techs, for some reason they seem to know more, do more and cost less. :screwy:
The ol' spitty finger. I tried that once. And only once. After I ruined my favorite shirt I decided I was done with the spitty. ;)

Railrose
2006-11-08, 02:42 PM
What's this thing about HP plotters that made them last so long? We once had a L... plotter which packed up in 8months (and that was a pretty long time, if you know what i mean) ;)
We have an HP850 that was still working when we put it into storage. Only reason we did that is because one of our engineers wanted faster, better plots & talked the boss into an HP5000. We figured we could use the 850 for test plots with cheaper paper & keep the better paper on the 5000. Turns out, we are getting a better price on the better paper than we did on the cheap paper, & the engineer who was going to do lots of plots was made an offer to retire early. Now, the 5000 is the only one we use & the 850 is a drawing rack.