PDA

View Full Version : Does Autodesk offer any kind of certification for 3ds Max

ramji.ps
2006-11-18, 07:59 PM
Hi there.
I'm from India and I've been working on 3ds max for the past 5 years. I would like to know whether Autodesk offers any certification for 3ds max. Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance.

Rgds,
Ramji

Steve_Bennett
2006-11-19, 05:39 AM
Congrats on your first post!

The only certification I know of exists within the reseller channel for the Application Engineers that work with MAX. They are required to pass it in order to receive support from Autodesk on issues they cannot resolve. If you are in the private industry, your portfolio would be FAR more important than any certification.

If I was searching for a talented CG artist I would look at portfolio, not a certificate saying they can use a program. That would simply be the cherry on top of the icing on top of the cake. It's a very small part of the picture is what I'm trying to say when it comes to an environment such as using MAX. Plus it's applications are so wide in scope it's hard to be certified in every aspect of the specialties it covers.

This kind of goes to speak the same for other certifications such as the AutoCAD certified user/expert and ADT certified user/expert (the later of which I'm current on). It simply says that you know how to use the program in all it's aspects but it doesn't mean you can certify for all the industries that AutoCAD covers.

ramji.ps
2006-11-19, 10:47 AM
Thanks for the reply :-)

Yes, I do agree that a portfolio/showreel speaks more than a certification. But had a doubt whether Autodesk offers any certification programme for its applications. That's because when I enquired at their ATCs, the concerned people didn't have any idea and instead they started offering details regarding diploma courses on 3ds max.

Thanks again.

Rgds,
Ramji

Steve_Bennett
2006-11-19, 04:46 PM
Thanks for the reply :-)

Yes, I do agree that a portfolio/showreel speaks more than a certification. But had a doubt whether Autodesk offers any certification programme for its applications. That's because when I enquired at their ATCs, the concerned people didn't have any idea and instead they started offering details regarding diploma courses on 3ds max.

Thanks again.

Rgds,
RamjiWelcome!

I got a similar reply to what you received when i started asking around where I can become an ADT certified expert. Looking back, it was rather silly on the reseller part. They almost blew me off as if they were trying to hide it. They should have asked: "if you know the software so well, why don't you come in for an interview?" :-)

ramji.ps
2006-11-20, 06:05 AM
Hi Steve!
Looks like this is the case everywhere. May be Autodesk can give some information to the ATCs regarding these.

Thanks and regards,
Ramji

Steve_Bennett
2006-11-20, 06:55 AM
If I run across some of the autodesk reps I'm planning to at AU, I will definitely ask about this. Have a good one! :beer:

ramji.ps
2006-11-21, 08:32 AM
That sounds really nice. It would be really great if I could get some info.

Thanks a ton!

Regards,
Ramji