PDA

View Full Version : ABS2004/ACAD2007 proxy object trouble

Mamma Jamma
2006-11-20, 07:25 PM
The problem is this:
ABS2004 drawing with some proxy objects. Open (read only) on one station of ACAD2007, see the stuff. Open on another, (read only) don't see the stuff.
Yes, all the settings (that we are aware of) are the same and nothing has changed between openings. Yup, Service Pack 1 also installed on all.
Help!

stelthorst
2006-11-20, 08:19 PM
Hi Sue,

Have you checked PROXYSHOW? It should be set to 1. If it's set to 0 proxy graphics will not show and if it's set to 2 only the bounding box of the graphic will show.

That's all I've got for now. I'll dig deeper after lunch (A guys gotta eat you know)

Mamma Jamma
2006-11-20, 08:29 PM
Yes, indeedy. All that stuff is set the same as the one (ACAD2007) seat on which the drawings work - proxyshow, check for enablers, etc. Restarted ACAD, checked the settings, rechecked the settings. No dice. I've sent one of the drawings to Autodesk for troubleshooting, but, with my luck, they'll be able to open it without problems.
Additionally, the originator of the drawings and proxy objects (ABS2004) can't see the objects either, when the drawings are returned to her after being "touched" by 2007. This isn't only one drawing, but apparently all of our drawings that were created with ABS2004 and now need to be opened with ACAD2007.
This is killing me!

stelthorst
2006-11-20, 09:43 PM
I'm using ABS2007.1 if you post a drawing with the problem/issue I'll check to see if I can see the proxy objects.

If I understand your original post correctly you are able to see the proxy objects in one seat of ABS2007 but not in another seat of ABS2007.

Is this correct? If it is, it seems like it's probably a setting on the one machine. If it's not let me know.

Mamma Jamma
2006-11-20, 09:50 PM
Thanks, bu not quite right...
one seat of ACAD2007 (not ABS) can see objects in ABS2004 drawing, while 2 others (also ACAD2007) can't. All setting are the same. To top it off, now the ABS2004 seat can't see the objects either. It's all very confusing, and apparently might have something to do with older object enablers or something. Autodesk sent me a screenshot of how they were seeing the drawing I sent them, and they weren't seeing the stuff either (though they thought they were).

stelthorst
2006-11-20, 10:09 PM
Now you really have me intrigued.

Any possibility of posting the drawing in question?

Mamma Jamma
2006-11-21, 02:21 PM
Unfortunately, due to client proprietary concerns, it can't be posted. I'm working through the issue with Autodesk subscription support. Hopefully, getting everyone onto 2007 (ABS, ACAD and LT) will solve the issue for us in the long run. In the meantime, I'm contemplating tossing my computer (or at least the Autodesk CDs) off the top of the building, shortly to be followed by myself. I'm now having problems just trying to manually install the ABS2004 object enabler, as recommended by Autodesk support.
Of course, even if WE get everything fixed internally, what sort of fresh hell will we unleash when we share these drawings with our clients?
I'll keep you posted (if I haven't gone "splat").

stelthorst
2006-11-21, 04:58 PM
I feel your pain. :(

I have given up using ABS2007 on projects where file sharing is required. Even if you can get the proxy graphics to work the proxy objects end up taking on the properties they were created on. (ie they are no longer by layer but have specific color, linetype and lineweight) this can only be fixed by exploding the objects and changing everything back to bylayer. This makes data manipulation a hassle for anyone working on your drawings.

If you find a solution via Autodesk please post it because I would be very interested in the solution.

Mamma Jamma
2006-11-22, 02:00 PM
This is the latest I got from Autodesk...

AutoCAD, by itself, cannot view some objects the same that Autodesk Business Systems can, whether you are using AutoCAD 2007, AutoCAD 2006 or AutoCAD 2004.

What you might test is installing Autodesk Business Systems 2004 on your workstation. Even without starting it up, it should add the capability to view ABS objects in your AutoCAD 2007 just like the other workstation can that you have already confirmed has ABS 2004 installed that can view the ABS objects in AutoCAD 2007.

So...they're advocating duplicate licenses? Adding ABS to all our stations? (we have something like 100, including about 60 LT)

Before that I got...

From what we have determined, it's the Autodesk Building Systems that is assisting in the display of the ABS objects on the one workstation and not the Object Enabler. That means there is no specific Object Enabler that can assist AutoCAD 2007 to view those specific ABS objects. That explains why my workstation with the ABS 2004 Object Enabler is unable to view the ABS objects.

To confirm this, I opened the base drawing "42DCE301 SEND TO AUTODESK.dwg" in AutoCAD 2006 and with Live Enabler turned on, it also reported the following object enablers unavailable:

AutoCAD has not found an object enabler on the Autodesk website for AecBase50
AutoCAD has not found an object enabler on the Autodesk website for AecStructureBase50
AutoCAD has not found an object enabler on the Autodesk website for AecArchDACHBase50

Therefore your installation is very likely not corrupt, it just cannot handle the ABS objects like ABS can, or can assist with.

yeah, and....WHAT? So basically, what they're saying, is we're screwed. (Pardon my "french")

kyle.bernhardt
2006-11-25, 06:38 PM
Hi Sue,
I'll jump into the fray here. I'm not sure who's handling your support case with us, so I haven't seen your drawings. I can say that I would expect you to be able to see the ABS objects in in your 2004 drawing on your AutoCAD 2007 installation.

I think the first thing I'd want to make sure is that you have BOTH the ABS and ADT 2007 OEs installed on that machine. This is noted on our OE download page. Installing that 2004 OE isn't going to do a whole lot, the 2007 OEs give your AutoCAD 2007 installation similar abilities as ABS 2007 in handling 2007 format AND previous version drawings. If you had to install the 2004 OE to view the 2004 drawing in AutoCAD 2007, then you'd need to do the same thing in ABS 2007. Obviously, this is not the case, as ABS 2007 has native support for previous version drawings...same goes for AutoCAD 2007 with the proper OEs installed.

If you want, you can let our technician know I consulted on this issue on the boards, and have them get in touch with me about the matter. I'll be glad to add my ABS expertise. I will be at AU next week, so I may not be looking at the matter on Monday morning :)

Cheers,
Kyle B

Mamma Jamma
2006-11-27, 01:59 PM
What about 2007 LT? We have many seats of LT that need to, at least, be able to open ABS 2007 drawings, maybe change a date, plot, stuff like that. IS THAT POSSIBLE? We can't find an OE for LT.
Thanks,