PDA

View Full Version : Journal files for crash recoveries to be easier to manage

Martin P
2003-06-19, 10:02 AM
The journal files that Revit creates can be very useful for recovering from a crash, however you have to find the last time you saved - and also watch out for any other files you have opened in between. Also I have some journal files that are over 20 MB in size!! this cannot be good for memory etc when using Revit.

What I would like to propose would have many benefits - why not create a NEW journal file each time you save, AND when a new file is opened. This solves all the problems in one go, and I really cant see the problem in splitting it up - files all have dates and times when they were created, this would simply allow us all to make more use of journal files, manage them better, and keep the file sizes down. whether you have 10 files or 1 file there is no real difference anyway is there, they are all in the one folder.

Thoughts?

PeterJ
2003-06-19, 11:45 AM
Meaning you can do a selective restore?

Clever

This might even allow a means of dealing with the holy grail of options. You could store option 1, 2 and 3 as journals and then rerun the work that took you to that point in time once the client had made up their mind.

P

Martin P
2003-06-19, 12:30 PM
Meaning you can do a selective restore?

Clever

This might even allow a means of dealing with the holy grail of options. You could store option 1, 2 and 3 as journals and then rerun the work that took you to that point in time once the client had made up their mind.

P

Never thought of that type of thing really, just that it would save trawling thought the file (which can be HUGE!) to find the last point you had saved at - and if you opened another drawing after that it gets really confusing!!

I suppose it could have other uses too? The whole issue of options 1,2,3 etc - I dont think that is really something lacking in Revit - I believe the simplest option here is the solution, and Revit can already do that one :shock: - Saveas! :D anything else just seems as though it would get horribly complicated to me, and I would end up just using "saveas option2" anyway.

beegee
2003-06-19, 10:25 PM
[quote=PeterJ]

I suppose it could have other uses too? The whole issue of options 1,2,3 etc - I dont think that is really something lacking in Revit - I believe the simplest option here is the solution, and Revit can already do that one :shock: - Saveas! :D anything else just seems as though it would get horribly complicated to me, and I would end up just using "saveas option2" anyway.

Martin,

I totally agree ! This is what I have been doing since starting with Revit and it works like a charm. Save as " Scheme 1... scheme 2 etc ".
Only problem is if some of the "base" information changes, like say a carpark gets reconfigured after you have done 5 different building schemes and it ( the carpark ) has to show the same in each scheme. That could be handled by linked files though.

beegee