PDA

View Full Version : Could not instantiate AecDict! ???

scott.mccoy
2006-12-07, 10:17 PM
Could not instantiate AecDict!

Has anyone seen this error in recent times?

There is an old thread in the forum here that links back to a 2002 page at Autodesk, but it doesn't really fix anything.

Autodesk tells me that I get the error when recovering a drawing, but actually I get the error when saving and loading the drawing.

The drawing appears to still be in functioning shape, just curious how to make this error go away...

Thanks!

Scott

Ed Jobe
2006-12-07, 10:33 PM
Instantiation errors usally are a problem with the class definitions in the registry. Try repairing the installation.

scott.mccoy
2006-12-08, 04:30 PM
Repairing the installation of ???

To date, the only time I get this error is when I load or save 2 isolated drawings, and they are not my drawings.

I should also mention that these drawings are also missing a couple of xrefs that I am guessing referance 3-D objects.

Is there any chance that the missing xrefs are the root cause of this?

So much to learn....

Thanks!

Scott

stelthorst
2006-12-08, 04:51 PM
Hi Scott,

Look at the DCTCUST variable. It could be the people who sent you the file use a custom dictionary that is not in your search path. You can also look at the location of the custom dictionary on the files tab of the options dialog.

Hope this helps,

Ed Jobe
2006-12-08, 05:27 PM
Repairing the installation of ???
ABS of course. Here is a tech doc (http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/item?siteID=123112&id=7290027&linkID=2476059) that mentions how to do it in connection with this error.

scott.mccoy
2006-12-08, 06:51 PM
Thanks everyone... will look into this.

Have a great weekend...