PDA

View Full Version : Line Based Break Line

djn
2006-12-14, 08:25 PM
Here is a line based detail component break line that I developed if anyone is interested. You just pick the two end point and it will extend the line 1" past the element. It also will put more break symbs in if the line grows long enough.

Opps found an error here is a new one.

home-tech
2007-10-03, 03:24 PM
DJN:
is there a way you could make that line so no mather the lenght there's always one break line; always centered? (sim. to cad)?

Thanks, ~ Luke

djn
2007-10-25, 02:46 PM
The way this works is the break symb will resize up to a certain point, and then stay the same size. Let me know how this works.

Steve_Stafford
2007-10-26, 05:16 PM
Nice! I took yours and made a version that draws the breakline centered on your first pick point. It is set up on either side of the the left end of the reference line. I like how the break jog resizes as the line length increases.

djn
2008-11-04, 06:24 PM
Here is an updated version of the Break Line that I created earlier where you can pick the 2 end points that the symbol will resize up to a certain point. What I found was that the size of the symbol was two small for breaking small elements like 6" so I reworked the formula that drives the size.

Dave F.
2008-11-21, 06:37 PM
Thank you that will come in very handy.

Is there a way to lock this to a cylindrical object in elevation (such as a circluar column) so that if is moved the detail moves with it?

I tried to align/Lock but there appears to be nothing in either the detail of the column to hook onto.

Hope you can help

thanks

djn
2008-11-24, 03:51 PM
You can lock the ends of the Break line to the sides of an element. Revit unfortunately doesn't seem to find the edge of round element in a elevation or section view.
What you can do though is edit the family of the round element (round column family) and set the four outside reference planes to weak reference then it will find the outside edge of the round element. Although I am not sure if you cut through the middle of an object what will happen.

Here is a pipe break line if you prefer that style.

Dave F.
2008-11-24, 05:36 PM
Thanks
I haven't tried it (not got access to Revit at the moment) but won't the four planes only work if the section/elevation is parallel to them?

I will test it tomorrow.

djn
2008-11-24, 07:36 PM
I believe you are right. If you cut a section at some other angle it won't find those reference planes.

Dave F.
2008-11-24, 07:55 PM
I managed to get a Revit license from our server & had a play around.
If I place a Reference Line down the cenrtroid of the cylinder within the family it appears to work.

However the only way to do it was to align the column to the break line, so to prevent the column from moving I had to place the detail in the correct position first.

Ta