PDA

View Full Version : AutoCAD 2004 or above - use QNEW command to start new DWG based on a DWT file

dzatto
2006-12-22, 03:01 PM
For those of you using your own templates, set your _qnew command to automatically open your template for a new drawing. Go to options, open the file tab. Under template settings you will see "default template file name for QNEW". Save your template file path there. Now when you need to start a new drawing from a template, type _qnew and there it is. Works on 2007, but should be there on all releases.

tedg
2006-12-22, 03:50 PM
For those of you using your own templates, set your _qnew command to automatically open your template for a new drawing. Go to options, open the file tab. Under template settings you will see "default template file name for QNEW". Save your template file path there. Now when you need to start a new drawing from a template, type _qnew and there it is. Works on 2007, but should be there on all releases.Nice tip, it works for 2006!

robert.1.hall72202
2007-01-02, 02:06 PM
Always been a great tip. I often catch myself going to the file menu even though I know
I can just hit the QNEW button on my toolbar.

robert.1.hall72202
2007-02-16, 01:40 PM
I almost forgot how to do this because it falls under "Set it and Forget it".
I did a search and found this post.............still a great tip!

RFW_Cadd_Guru
2007-02-16, 05:26 PM
What if you have a template made and you want to use it an existing drawing. I would you bring the template into that drawing???

Opie
2007-02-16, 06:00 PM
What if you have a template made and you want to use it an existing drawing. I would you bring the template into that drawing???
You cannot insert a template (dwt) into a drawing. Also, existing settings, that have the same names in the template, within the existing drawing will not be overwritten by the template. So layers, dimstyles, text styles, etc. that are currently in the existing drawing will not be changed by inserting in another drawing.

jaberwok
2007-02-17, 03:11 PM
No. Start new with the template then insert the existing file.
That will force changes, for example an existing layer would take on the colour and linetype allocated in the template.

jlunsford
2010-03-24, 10:11 PM
How do you insert the drawing into the existing template? Or do you mean as an xref?

jaberwok
2010-03-24, 11:05 PM
Hi, welcome to AUGI.

No. Open the template, switch to modelspace, erase any geometry and use the INSERT command to insert the drawing as a block. Explode the block.
Only modelspace objects will be inserted.