PDA

View Full Version : One-Line Diagrams

jason.combs
2007-01-02, 08:27 PM
Does/will Revit Systems be able to create a one-line diagram that is connected to the model?

dtownsend
2007-01-18, 12:37 PM
I'm not 100% sure what the requirements of One-Line Diagram are, but I do know that if you change your view Detail Level to Coarse then everything will be displayed as one line. I think the standard in Floor Plan is Medium...change this to Coarse and see if that will work.

nfaehnle
2009-03-10, 03:34 PM
I am in the same boat. It seems there is not much help anywhere on this subject. Could someone please help with this. I need to create one-line diagrams and I'm not sure where to get symbols and/or components to get started

sgermano
2009-03-10, 04:53 PM
at this moment I do not believe there are any type of intelligent parametric 1 line functionality built into Revit. For sysmbols ect, you can use your existing cad symbols. For 1 lines and PNID's ect you may just want to draft them in cad and link that cad file into a Revit sheet.

james.klatt
2009-03-10, 09:45 PM
I think the big challenge with this request is that single-lines are diagramatic and revit is actual distance. Also, now you are getting into a bigger area of engineer and drafter preference. If revit did develop this capability I would imagine it would only be laid out in one format and that format would only appease 1% of the population. Just my 2 cents.

mwiggins121466
2009-03-11, 01:28 PM
We do all one lines and risers in CAD. We also do not link these into revit beacuse it can bring down performance.

AaronC
2009-03-11, 03:35 PM
We do all one lines and risers in CAD. We also do not link these into revit beacuse it can bring down performance.

We link the CAD linework into Revit, and change all the lines to Revit linetypes, then annotate in Revit.

mjdanowski
2009-03-11, 04:56 PM
I think the big challenge with this request is that single-lines are diagramatic and revit is actual distance. Also, now you are getting into a bigger area of engineer and drafter preference. If revit did develop this capability I would imagine it would only be laid out in one format and that format would only appease 1% of the population. Just my 2 cents.

The pieces of the puzzle are there, there just needs to be a function to bring them together.

-Have a UI which lets you set custom symbols for each type of equipment.

-Have a different annotation type for "One-Line Symbols" which has a special element called "connection" where different elements connect to symbols.

- Have a check box on all mechanical and electrical equipment (default set to "off") where you can choose what elements you want to put on your one line.

- Tagging can be done via the current system, just create the tag to fit your needs.

- Allow drafting in one-line views.

Boom, you just have a one-line tool which will appease 90% of the population because its lets the user customize it to their standards. I think thats why people complain so much about Revit is because so many standards are forced upon people and as such people don't like it.

JoelLondenberg
2009-03-11, 05:18 PM

Why ACAD? Revit is a great diagramatic drafting tool, I like it better than ACAD.

musicjunkie300
2009-03-11, 06:20 PM
We link the CAD linework into Revit, and change all the lines to Revit linetypes, then annotate in Revit.

I had a question about how you annotate the single line in REVIT, (I was trying to create a riser diagram in REVIT just to see how it's done and if it's worth it). Did you just set up a generic anotation symbol to annotate since tags can't be used on lines and only equipment (correct?) I had wanted to try and use the tag feature but was unable to, do i just need to do it the old-fashonied way with generic annotation symbols.

Thanks for any help!
-allen

mjdanowski
2009-03-11, 07:11 PM
Why ACAD? Revit is a great diagramatic drafting tool, I like it better than ACAD.

On large projects for us, it is a matter of we can only have ~5 people in Revit at the same time before it just starts to disintegrate our workflow due to performance issues.

mwiggins121466
2009-03-11, 07:16 PM
Revit is a great diagramatic drafting tool

Do you mean to do something like this?

AaronC
2009-03-11, 07:49 PM
I had a question about how you annotate the single line in REVIT, (I was trying to create a riser diagram in REVIT just to see how it's done and if it's worth it). Did you just set up a generic anotation symbol to annotate since tags can't be used on lines and only equipment (correct?) I had wanted to try and use the tag feature but was unable to, do i just need to do it the old-fashonied way with generic annotation symbols.

Thanks for any help!
-allen

Yep, just 2d symbols and plain old text.

sgermano
2009-03-12, 04:09 PM
Now why couldnt a tag be made that was a "duplicate" tag specifically made for 1 line diagrams that would be fully parametric and carry over the equipment info. This could then update if the equipment number was changed in the plans. This idea is im my opinion where the 1 line functionality should go in future revit releases. It makes no sense to create dummy symbols and tags that are not parametric (it does right now as there are no better ways) but in the future this would be high on my wish list. Just having the tags alone linked to the database would cut down on potential drafting errors and could be a big increase in productitvity.

cwade.109269
2009-03-13, 03:30 PM
This is definitely one of my major com,plaints about Revit, AutoCAD MEP can generate Riser Diagrams and I believe SIngle Line DIagrams, why can't Revit MEP? Really, this is something that is basic and is required for plan check. I don't want to manually draft these things, because that leads to potential inconsistency in the drawings.

JoelLondenberg
2009-03-13, 04:50 PM
..."duplicate" tag specifically made for 1 line diagrams...

...because that leads to potential inconsistency in the drawings...

This would be a wonderful addition to the software. Steve, you should add this to the wishlist forum.

JoelLondenberg
2009-03-16, 04:11 PM
Do you mean to do something like this?

Yep, a simple drafting view with lines, text, and inserted scalable symbols if they are useful.

schrodingerscat
2009-03-16, 09:54 PM
Take that!

Though sadly it's not connected. First single line I've done in Revit though.

BigBadBIM
2009-08-13, 07:42 PM
Yep, a simple drafting view with lines, text, and inserted scalable symbols if they are useful.
I know this is post is a little old, but is that Riser Diagram tied to the objects in the model? Or do you have to manually coordinate the information with what is in the model?

vmiller.210437
2010-08-13, 06:08 PM
I have been working on this and believe I am onto something. I am using detail components to create smart lines that cam be labeled and tagged and even share parameters. Using the detail component symbols as well has allowed me to link 2d line work with the 3d Model. If any one is interested I can write a more detailed post after putting the finishing touches on this method.

rvellia
2010-08-13, 06:20 PM
schrodingerscat
jlondenberg
mwiggins

All 3 of you used Revit to draw your singe line diagrams. Look at how different they all look. I agree with some of the earlier comments that stated Revit single line diagrams would only appease 1% of the people. Every firm does their risers/one lines different. Some draw from the bottom and go up through the building.. some put the switchboards at the top and go down. Other use lines to show a bus, others draw the actual size of the switchgear. There are way too many options for Revit users to be forced to settle on one format. Even though it is b**tch to update your singe lines and plans, I think it is still better than being forced to show your riser/one line the way Revit chooses. Just my oppinion.

Imwezal
2010-08-13, 06:47 PM
vmiller, I am quite interested on your method on how you did your oneline riser lines

vmiller.210437
2010-08-13, 07:16 PM
I started with a detail component line based family. Draw a model line and attach it to the reference planes as well as the reference line. Then create and import shared parameters for size, type, etc.. Then use that component to draw single lines. Create a detail item tag and use the labels to point to your parameters. Similarly you can create detail component symbols that use the same tag and parameters. This is my first time writing any kind of tutorial so please let me know if it is not clear or you need more information.

dbokmiller
2010-08-16, 02:55 PM
Just because you are using Shared Parameters does not mean that the information in the model is "linked" to the information in the diagram. You would still have to update the value of the parameters in each entity.

As for how Revit draws diagrams: It's up to you! There is no set way of doing it (just like with ACAD). If you don't like the way it looks out-of-the-box, then set your text and line styles to match your standards...

vmiller.210437
2010-08-16, 04:15 PM
Just because you are using Shared Parameters does not mean that the information in the model is "linked" to the information in the diagram. You would still have to update the value of the parameters in each entity.

As for how Revit draws diagrams: It's up to you! There is no set way of doing it (just like with ACAD). If you don't like the way it looks out-of-the-box, then set your text and line styles to match your standards...

That is not true. For instance in my pipe family I have a shared parameter tied to size. If I update the size of the real pipe it tells the tagged one line to be the same size. This is very helpful. it will work with size, types, and equipment names.

dbokmiller
2010-08-17, 02:00 PM
True, IF the tagged line in your one-line is the actual pipe.

What people are looking for is a way to build the model and have Revit generate a diagram (with linework) of the design, that is related to the model. This functionality does not exist.

vmiller.210437
2010-08-17, 11:35 PM
I'm very close using a detail component as the line work so that is is able to be tagged and receive parameters. The roadblock is that I have not found a way to tie the detail component family parameters back to a schedule or look up table linked to the 3D system family. Any ideas if that is possible. I am still playing with it. I will post back if I get it.

timsea81
2010-08-18, 01:28 AM
I do all my details in Revit as well as the 3D design, it is easier to manage if the whole project is in one software if for no other reason than batch plotting.

sgermano
2010-08-19, 03:57 AM
I have been playing with this idea via api for a while now. I think it can be achieved via a external app to achieve this, but its a time issue of being able to do it and test it.

Im thinking of using tags that can be specified by the user (similar to making annotation tags now for object) this allows any firm to use their own symbology according to their standards just the way revit works now. Then allow the user to select the type of equipment that exist in the db and it will be linked to that particular piece of equipment.

So if I want to make a dict riser and have a fan at the top, I would drop in my companies 2d fan symbol and tag it by selecting from a list of existing fans in the model (could have filtering options here also). Then start your line work.

The trick is when following the pipe/duct through the api can be a little tricky to get the sizes...but you could always give the user the ability to select the "duct size" from a list of connected ducts sizes to that particular fan or ahu ect.

This will obviously not draw automatic, and nothing ever will, but in theory it could keep both the equipment and its ducts/pipes parametric with the system its connected to....

Im getting excited just thinking about it, now I just have to get time to program it! Anyone have about 3 weeks to program it?? Students maybe??

timothy.braggs1
2010-08-19, 09:16 PM
I sometimes take my external objects/one lines/details and paste them into a detail view and drag that to my sheet/s as images.

Faster way?