PDA

View Full Version : Can't get external command to kick off

robert.manna
2007-01-03, 03:45 PM
Ok,

Had this external command working fine on another box. Tried to set it up on another box, and nothin'! I've attached a screen shot of the INI file. The command is located in c:\ and the name is correct. I'm logged in with administrative privliges on the box. What am I missing? When I started Revit there is no external tools menu under "Tools".

Start with the dumb stuff folks, cause I just don't know....

-R

david.bartliff
2007-01-04, 12:07 PM
Starting with dumb stuff ...

Make sure you have copied release build of dll onto 2nd PC, not debug.

Make sure any dependent dlls are copied across - especially the correct version of .NET Framework for 2nd PC - by default this is installed with Visual Studio, but not Revit!

If all else fails, try removing the blank line after ECCount.

robert.manna
2007-01-04, 05:26 PM
Still no success. Confirmed that .Net is on the machine. Also double checked the ini file, and tried deleting the extra line. The command is simple and only has one .dll file, and that is also in the right place with same name.

I logged in under a normal user account (no admin rights) and didn't even get the standard warning message about requiring certain admin rights to kick the API off the first time (not to mention that on our current configuration this "setting" doesn't stick).

-R

jspartz
2007-01-08, 09:24 PM
You say it works on one PC and not the second, which means it's not your program. There's nothing wrong with your ini file. You can have spaces too. You said you checked that .NET framework was installed, but is it .NET framework 2.0? Revit API won't work with earlier versions, but typically if 2.0 is not installed and you open Revit it will pop up a message telling you that you need it.

robert.manna
2007-01-08, 09:35 PM
You're advice is correct. My one problem here was that Revit is to dumb to tell me that the wrong version of .Net is installed. So it may warn you when there is no .Net, but if you have 1.x and not 2.x, it just does, nothin'.

Thanks for the advice, we actually got it fixed this AM.

-Robert