PDA

View Full Version : Cannot save copy as DWG from IDW in Inventor 8

patrickteo80
2004-06-30, 04:02 AM
Hi all,

Anyone here face with problem that can't save copy as DWG file from IDW in Inventor 8? Information i would like to share with you:
1) Operating system: Windows XP Professional
2) Product name : Autodesk Inventor Series 8 Upgraded from Autodesk Inventor
Series 7
3) Notebook : Pentium 4 1.2GB, 1GB DDR RAM & 64MB Graphic card
4) Situation:

i've many existing idw files that have to be converted into DWG in Autodesk Inventor Series 8 through my notebook.

At the meantime, i haven't uninstalled Autodesk Inventor Series 7. Then i can't convert IDW into DWG at all (At the lower left, i found out that it showed me ENTITY # 1 to 30 and stopped. Next it popped up a dialog box telling me that it cannot export and then i clicked Yes, another error dialog box popped up and showed that it cannot find any drawing template. (After i tested it in other unaffected computer, it actually will show ENTITY # 1 to 60 and then successfully convert it into DWG. So my IDW files are not problem at all.).

Although i uninstalled Autodesk Inventor Series 7 & 8 and then reinstalled Autodesk Inventor Series 8 and cleaned system. It was still the same. But if i redo again the idw drawing and directly save copy as DWG. It won't be a problem. Think about it if i have to redo hundred of IDW files and save copy as hundred of DWG. Please advice.

Thanks & regards,

Patrick

janovsky
2004-08-06, 06:16 AM
Hello, I was really desperate with almost the same problem, not only export, but import DWG/DXF also. It could be caused by wrong records in Windows registry. When you uninstall Inventor, it doesn't clean it at all. So first uninstall Inventor, then delete all records of Inventor in Windows registry by REGEDIT (be carefull just Inventor, not Inventory !!!), and then install Inventor. Next upgrade to avoid cleaning registry try to uninstall old version first and then install a new one. Regards. Pavel

rosterreicher
2004-08-06, 05:11 PM
I used to have some problems with this.

Don't know if they are the same things though.
Some entities would not come through, some would but be goofed up, etc.

What i found to work best for me was:
Don't use an Acad dwg template. I leave that blank.
I save it to just a blank new drawing, and in a layout.

Have not had any problems since.

patrickteo80
2004-08-10, 05:30 AM
Hi Janovsky & Rosterreicher,

First of all, thanks for your warmest help.

Actually i've do the system clean (regedit and documents & settings) already and reinstall Inventor 8. But same problem happened. i just can't save copy Inventor 8 idw file as dwg but i'm still able to convert Inventor 7 idw file into dwg.
Is it all regarding Microsoft COM server which has to run several DLL files external to the Inventor 8 software to perform the DWG translation? Or if the original IDW drawing file is particularly large? Why?

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/item?siteID=123112&id=2882170&linkID=4183228

My problem was same with Rosterreicher that some entities would not come through, some would but be goofed up, etc. But you mean i've to save a blank idw without any border and title block? Please check this website whether it can solve your problem:

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/item?siteID=123112&id=4418143&linkID=4183228

Thanks & regards,

Patrick

rosterreicher
2004-08-10, 04:10 PM
" But you mean i've to save a blank idw without any border and title block? ".

Since i already have a Border and Title block etc in my IDW. I just use that for the DWG.

When i save as DWG with Template left blank and set to save to layout it retains my Inventor border, Title Block etc.

When i tried it with a Template i would have The border and such fromAutocad and also the border and such from IV.
Granted i could make a special Acad Template for the Conversion, But It worked easiest for me to simply not use any template.