PDA

View Full Version : moving a point group

T-Towntech
2007-01-08, 06:51 PM
I inserted cogo points from a dwg as a point group to a control point ( which was miss labeled) instead of the section corner . How can I move them to the section corner instead of the control point. I keep picking the group, and trying to move them, but can't get the points to update or move manually.

Would I be better off to create a new point group from the orig. points, on the first dwg, that are at the wrong coordinates, in the first place. The engineering firm I inherited this project from inserted the control point at 5000,5000 ????????????

I don't have much more hair to pull out. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

jpaulsen
2007-01-09, 04:53 PM
I haven't had a lot of experience with C3D points yet but can't you just use the AutoCAD move command?

I would recommend trying this with caution. Hopefully someone with more experience can confirm this will work.

T-Towntech
2007-01-09, 05:08 PM
That's what I thought.........

I had to have the point marker visible to grab the points. The points would move, but the label wouldn't. Then when I moved the labels it changed the elevation of the points by the datum of the first point markers I moved. ????????? Plus the points will have to be rotated to fit our state plain coordinates.

I think I'll just make a dummy dwg with only the points, move and rotate them where I need them, then import them as acad objects to a new point group and delete the first point group.

What do you think?

melanie.santer
2007-01-11, 10:30 PM
You CAN move the points using the AutoCAD Move command and it will effectively change their coordinate values, unless they are locked. What I would do is have a reference line of which you are going to rotate them about. If you move the points using the MOVE command the labels should go with them. The elevations of the points should not change unless the points were created based on a surface and if that's the case then as they are moved they will pick up the new elevation of the surface that they are placed on top of.

Let me know if this helps!

That's what I thought.........

I had to have the point marker visible to grab the points. The points would move, but the label wouldn't. Then when I moved the labels it changed the elevation of the points by the datum of the first point markers I moved. ????????? Plus the points will have to be rotated to fit our state plain coordinates.

I think I'll just make a dummy dwg with only the points, move and rotate them where I need them, then import them as acad objects to a new point group and delete the first point group.

What do you think?

T-Towntech
2007-01-12, 03:50 PM
This is what I'm starting with.

AECC_POINT Layer: "PNTS_FLOW"
Space: Model space
Handle = a7721
Text Location : (2607575.81, 372137.56, 0.00)
Text Rotation :
Normal : (0.00, 0.00, 1.00)
Group Name :
Point Number : 532
Point Name :
Northing : 4968.95
Easting : 3189.32
Elevation : 668.62 XDRef:
Raw Description : FL1 XDRef:
Full Description : FL
Marker Location : (2607575.81, 372137.56, 0.00)

Note the difference between the, marker and text, and the point location coordinates.

What is the best way to take, what I have and import it to make points for a surface?

This is what I have after I convert landesk top points. Can you tell me what I need to do?

AECC_COGO_POINT
Number : 107
Northing : 4899.8257'
Easting : 4988.0210'
Elevation : 676.882'
Raw Description : EP1
Full Description : EP1

jpaulsen
2007-01-12, 04:08 PM
I just did some testing with C3D points and point groups and they move just fine, as long as you select the marker as you stated.

I also tried inserting some LDT points and converting them and they moved as expected.

I think there is something wrong with LDT points you are starting with. I have not been able to duplicate what you show above, where the point coordinate and marker coordinate are different. No matter what I do the are always the same as they should be.

I would recommend exporting an ASCII file from LDT and importing that into C3D. Then move the points to the correct location.

T-Towntech
2007-01-12, 04:21 PM
This was the first project this firm did with LDT. I have know idea what they were doing. I think I will go back to the CD that they sent the info on and start over from the start.
I'm trying to compare the engineering firms information (surface) with what we already have from aerial topos.

melanie.santer
2007-01-16, 08:41 PM
Hello,

You need to right-click on the Surfaces collection under your Prospector tree and select New. For type you want to select TIN Surface and give your new surface a name and a style. After that you want to expand your surface collection, expand definition, right-click on Point Groups and add your point data to your surface there.

Let me know if that is what you are looking for!