PDA

View Full Version : Split Slabs

dtownsend
2007-01-09, 05:48 PM
A better way to split up slabs.

If I have one big slab and it needs to be broken into 4 different slab (for pour phasing) it is a pain to have to edit the one slab and draw 3 more.

Maybe allow some kind of split slab or allow for zoning the slabs into different phases. - if you did something like that you could also go ahead and make it put in contol joints that would show up in fine detail view.

Paul Andersen
2007-01-09, 06:53 PM
I agree that this functionality would come in handy. If the footprint of the slab that you are breaking up is quite complex you may want to try the following approach to save some time (if you aren't already doing this):

Assuming the slab footprint is correct:

1. Edit the slab that needs to be broken up.
2. In sketch mode - select the lines that will be used as part of a new slab and Ctrl+C (Copy).
3. Quit sketch mode.
4. Select the Slab tool and Edit -> Paste Aligned -> Current View while in sketch mode.
5. Close off the open ends and finish the slab.
6. Repeat as necessary.
7. Final step is to adjust the original slab to become one of the smaller portions.

Not as quick as what you suggest but faster than sketching new ones from scratch. There are also several other uses for this same technique. One that I have used quite often is to copy the sketch lines from a slab on grade and paste them into the sketch mode of a pad which is used to cut the topography.

dtownsend
2007-01-10, 12:15 PM
Thanks. That is what I ment by sketching new ones.

I'd like a tool that would do this with out copy and paste - since it is a common task.

I usually draw the line in where the break needs to go and use the split command to split the existing lines, then Cut the lines that will be used on the next slab and to finish it off start a new sketch and paste them in and re-sketch a line where the break is at and finish the sketch.