PDA

View Full Version : Annotation - Roof Pitch Marker

Chris.N
2005-11-14, 10:48 PM
roof pitch block, 1"-12" (1 inch increments), manually stretchable, look-upable, flippable, over-rideable.

mattm.92326
2006-03-03, 10:28 PM
roof pitch block, 1"-12" (1 inch increments), manually stretchable, look-upable, flippable, over-rideable.
I didn't like this block (sorry). It wasn't dynamic except visibility states. Plus the text didn't change. It just stayed 12/12. Here is an example of how this could be handled. We use this on end cuts of structural members (columns, rafters, etc.) and could easily work for elevations. Don't forget to update the field for the slope angle.

Chris.N
2006-03-04, 12:40 AM
I didn't like this block (sorry). It wasn't dynamic except visibility states. Plus the text didn't change. It just stayed 12/12. Here is an example of how this could be handled. We use this on end cuts of structural members (columns, rafters, etc.) and could easily work for elevations. Don't forget to update the field for the slope angle.for the record, they aren't vis states, the slope is modified by a lookup table (node is sim. to visibilities) that needs a 'refresh' with each instance of the modification because the text is linked to the length of the vertical member of the triangle.

if a regen, save, ect.... doesn't update the field after modified, check your 'field update settings' in the 'Options' dialog box

it is one of the first and simplest of my dynamic blocks using lookups. i apologize that i didn't describe it's construction and behavior more thoroughly upon posting it. I will enjoy checking our your version for new ideas. ;)

Chris.N
2006-03-04, 12:49 AM
Matt, i like the use of the dimension for the "Rise" After this thread got rolling and that idea popped up, i seriously considered it myself, but for the fact when mirroring it makes the text mirrored. that is why i kept it as a field in an attribute and centered the 'flip' on the horizontal line and didn't include the text in the action. i didn't want to have a 'left / right' visibility for file size reasons. (minor in this file, i know... but i didn't want to anyway)

wait till you get to the cabinetry that uses dimensions.... there it makes itself quite useful! ;)
happy DB'g!!

krushert
2006-06-19, 04:27 PM
for the record, they aren't vis states, the slope is modified by a lookup table (node is sim. to visibilities) that needs a 'refresh' with each instance of the modification because the text is linked to the length of the vertical member of the triangle.

if a regen, save, ect.... doesn't update the field after modified, check your 'field update settings' in the 'Options' dialog box

it is one of the first and simplest of my dynamic blocks using lookups. i apologize that i didn't describe it's construction and behavior more thoroughly upon posting it. I will enjoy checking our your version for new ideas. ;)I was wondering that myself why the text was not updating and why I could not see the attribute thru the properties pane. How did you make that "non-editable"?

Just learning about Dynamic Blocks, just surfing for now. questions come later. "totally sweet." block.

zorroxxxx
2006-10-25, 04:56 PM
Hey Chris,

Your Roof Pitch DB that you posted is awesome!!!!

I figured it out that you drew the block at 1" = 1', where each leg of the triangle is 4". Then in your distance parameter you had your increments set at .0278 with a max of .3333.

I am just starting to dabble with DBs, so bear with me.

My questions are:

1. Why wouldn't you draw a triangle at Full Scale, each leg = 12". Then have your increments set at 1?
2. Is this to save file size?
3. Is this so you can insert the block with the auxillary scale of DIMSCALE
4. In your post it says "Over-rideable", how would you override the block?

Any input will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Gary

Chris.N
2006-10-25, 05:04 PM
Hey Chris,

Your Roof Pitch DB that you posted is awesome!!!!

I figured it out that you drew the block at 1" = 1', where each leg of the triangle is 4". Then in your distance parameter you had your increments set at .0278 with a max of .3333.

I am just starting to dabble with DBs, so bear with me.

My questions are:

1. Why wouldn't you draw a triangle at Full Scale, each leg = 12". Then have your increments set at 1?
2. Is this to save file size?
3. Is this so you can insert the block with the auxillary scale of DIMSCALE
4. In your post it says "Over-rideable", how would you override the block?

Any input will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Garyoh, boy!
that one was one of my very first ones i made! lessee if i can recollect that far back....
1. I sized it relative to the plotted text size, as all our annotation (should) be placed in PS, so i don't scale it.
2. No
3. No, full size all the time. (PS reason)
4. Oops, i thought it would be. I just checked, and the way it's built, you'll have to burst it to have it something other than the 1" rise increments. I didn't want anyone to 'manually' edit the value is probably the reason i did it that way.