PDA

View Full Version : Text scaling chart

Wanderer
2004-07-01, 03:12 PM
A couple months back, right before the worm attack, some people had posted some text scaling charts. Anyone care to share again?

Maverick91
2004-07-01, 03:37 PM
When I do civil-type drawings, I’ll use the Leroy scale text (either using ROMANS or Arial font). I simply multiply the desired text size output by the drawing scale to get the text height. Here’s an example. If I have a 40-scale drawing (1” = 40’), and I want to use L80 (text output at 0.08 inches as plotted): 0.08 * 40 = 3.2. I make my text in model space 3.2 units in height. No need for a chart.

And I avoid architectural work when I can. :lol:

Glenn Pope
2004-07-01, 04:07 PM
You also could just put all text in paper space. Then you wouldn't have to worry about the height :mrgreen:

Wanderer
2004-07-01, 04:16 PM
You also could just put all text in paper space. Then you wouldn't have to worry about the height :mrgreen:
~cracks knuckles~~rolls shoulders~ oh, you're looking for a rumble, ay? :p

All well and good, until you want to x-ref or copy things to another file, then you have no notes/room numbers, etc.

I could just do a change space, I guess. But, why make things more complicated? :beer:

Ed Jobe
2004-07-01, 07:51 PM
My TextUtilities on the Exchange has a text scale utility. One of the features is scale-to-paperspace. So you don't need to know the scale factor, just enter the apparent height, e.g. 3/32.

Maverick91
2004-07-02, 03:03 PM

This idea goes along with the idea of putting dims in paperspace. :screwy: Do you really want to open that can of worms...? (as I stand next to Mama, cracking my own knuckles)

estb
2004-07-02, 11:21 PM
For a chart ,see this site:http://www.markcad.com/autocad/drawingscale.htm

Françpois Huot,
Montmagny, Québec, Canada

jim.dahl
2006-04-11, 02:57 PM
This thread covers CAD only. Does anyone know how to convert to Windows font size in points? I am trying to create output from other software to appear as it does in CAD.

The closest I can figure is there is about 92 points per inch. For example, my DWG has 20 foot text for 200 scale output. So my formula is (92 points / 1 inch) x (1 inch / 200 feet) x 20 feet. This gives a 9.2 font. Does this make sense to use?

Thanks, Jim

Opie
2006-04-11, 03:34 PM
This thread covers CAD only. Does anyone know how to convert to Windows font size in points? I am trying to create output from other software to appear as it does in CAD.

The closest I can figure is there is about 92 points per inch. For example, my DWG has 20 foot text for 200 scale output. So my formula is (92 points / 1 inch) x (1 inch / 200 feet) x 20 feet. This gives a 9.2 font. Does this make sense to use?

Thanks, Jim
Have a look at this -> Metric typographic units (http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/metric-typo/) (Not on AUGI.com)

jim.dahl
2006-04-11, 03:36 PM

Another search revealed another thread on this issue, and I see that the points per inch can vary by text style. For simplicity, the 100 points per inch gets real close, but the 92 comes out for the RomanS

Thanks, Jim

GenreNomad
2011-03-28, 07:16 PM
I have used this set of charts:

http://arquitecturapr.net/forum/index.php?topic=190.0

I used to print them out and tape them to my monitor, that was before using Revit more than AutoCAD.

Hope this helps!

nextvkin
2011-04-10, 08:27 AM
This may not answer your request but in my CUI I have a setting for scales with a macro (compliments of an AUGI genius whose name escapes me) to set the dimension text & the mtext heights in relation to the scale so that if my dimscale text height is set to 2 so will my mtext. See attached.