PDA

View Full Version : The Future of Rendering Engines

arshiel88
2007-01-17, 06:59 PM
What could be the best Rendering Engine...lets say in the year 2012 for Autodesk Products? First, the classic AutoCAD Render, then the plugins (Accurender, Penguin, etc.), then the Mental Ray Renderer, and sooner or later, rendering plugins/engines that are available only for dedicated 3D programs. What do you think will be the best rendering engine for Autodesk programs family in the future? Please feel free to edit the poll choices if needed.

Buffeldrek
2007-01-20, 12:54 PM
Hmm, would like to participate, but don't know any of the above.
Know what a kernel is / render engine, ok could imagine what that does - but don't know the in and outs, pro's and con's.
Educate me... :-)

On what render engine is autodesk running now?

arshiel88
2007-01-21, 12:11 PM
Hmm, would like to participate, but don't know any of the above.
Know what a kernel is / render engine, ok could imagine what that does - but don't know the in and outs, pro's and con's.
Educate me... :-)

On what render engine is autodesk running now?

As far as I know, Vanilla AutoCAD 2006 and below are using its internal renderer with Photo Real and Photo Raytrace Quality. While 3d Studio Max uses Scanline and Mental Ray Renderer, both Internal. Its just in AutoCAD 2007 when it uses Mental Ray as its internal renderer. Brazil, V-ray, Maxwell, etc, are 3rd party rendering engines that are installed as plugins in 3d Studio Max and other 3d programs. Hopefully may also be available in Vanilla CAD and parallels in the future.

jaberwok
2007-01-21, 12:52 PM
I believe the "internal" render engine in acad up to and including A2006 is the same one that was introduced in the original (DOS) version of 3DStudio.