PDA

View Full Version : Are you, or have you, used Revit Systems on an actual project?

luigi
2007-01-19, 03:45 AM
If you have, have you completed CD's yet, what was the biggest issue in using Revit Systems on an actual project? Was content the main thing lacking? or are there some issues, or something else, important to know?

Any input would be greatly apreciated..... :)

Chad Smith
2007-01-19, 03:52 AM
Could we please have one extra option "Don't intend to use it". Thanks.

luigi
2007-01-19, 03:55 AM
Could we please have one extra option "Don't intend to use it". Thanks.
Sorry, I am interested in just the people that are using it, and have intention in using it...it's intended to gain help from others that have already begun using it.... We have had it for a while, and our MEP team is going to begin looking into it...

luigi
2007-01-20, 10:56 PM
Nobody else is using Revit Systems?? :)

Chad Smith
2007-01-21, 01:02 AM
That last option I suggested was supposed to help give you an idea of the numbers that don't/won't use it.

rjcrowther
2007-01-21, 03:59 AM
Luigi, I think Chad was merely suggesting to broaden the question to include the people who have looked at it and decided not too pursue it. Perhaps Chad thought that info would be useful as well. I would imagine it would cast some light on its weak points.

I am no help here because I don't have any interest in any of the other Revits and so have not pursued them

Thanks,
Rob

luigi
2007-01-21, 05:43 PM
Hi Chad and Rob,

in regards to the poll....we are going to use the program, and my poll was just supposed to find out about people that are using it, and their process of implementing a program that lacks content... whether they are able to get by, and to find out what they like and don't like....

So, actually I am interested in the people that are using it, not the ones that are not using it.... although I can imagine that some people would like to know who is not using it...

If I was part of an architectural firm that doesn't have engineers, of course we wouldn't use the software and would not be interested in it....

I hope my need of the poll is clear....

Again, there is nothing stopping people to voice their opinion on the use/usefulness of the program.....

Take care,

Luigi

Tyveka
2007-01-22, 02:24 PM
Our firm is using it. We have actually created many of our own symbols and families, since the stock ones aren't quite right on this.

Additionally, there is simply not enough content to make it totally viable, so we are building as we go. Many of the built families do not have the intelligence needed, as I am an architect and don't know what kind of connector information I need to be building in to something like, say, a chiller....

I hope this helps your survey.

Thank you!

rafterman
2007-01-22, 06:03 PM
We have been using since it came out. We have not used it to it's fullest potential yet, but have completed projects in it.

jbaumann
2007-01-24, 06:17 PM
As an MEP firm we are beginning to use it on a few projects and are aware of the fact that we must create quite a bit of content to have the designs representative of our firms standards. It is clear to see that Revit Systems has all the potential built into it or will in the near future.

awascher
2007-01-30, 07:56 PM
We have used it once, but it was a limited project (shell and core strip mall). We ended up faking a lot of things so that it looked right on the prints, but it was not even close to being an intelligent model.

Lots of white filled regions to white out what we didn't want to see on the prints. Rooftop units we not attached to the roof or a roof curb. No electrical circuiting through Revit. We used it more as a drafting tools since the intelligent content isn't there.

mhartmann
2007-02-09, 04:25 PM
i've used (partially) revit systems on two projects now (only electrical, our mech and plumbing people haven't learned it yet). i did all the plan work in systems, and brought in schedules and details from autocad (after solving some pen weight issues, acad sheets looked fine). i'm at an arch/mep firm, our architects have been using revit building through several versions now. i've created most of my own electrical content, using the provided content as a starter kit. i've not used it's calculating to it's potential yet, as most of my content doesn't have proper loads built into the connectors. i was building them on the fly under a crunch. there are some issues (i don't trust it's calculations yet) with the schedules and loads, but my demo work, and new lighting and power plan sheets look great.

Mottiqua
2007-02-20, 02:18 PM
Hi Luigi! Hope you're doing well! Yes, we're using Revit systems on (2) of our projects right now, with hopes to do a third.

s.messing
2007-02-26, 10:10 PM
The ball is rolling. Our firm has been exploring, though sadly I might be the only person in this office with time and energy to get into it (and I am not an engineer). I am personally very interested in sustainability and therefore energy modeling and the newly approaching coordinated effort with IES and the pre-existing relationship with gbXML. I would love for architects to start talking about how they are modeling in Revit Building and then using Revit Systems for energy analysis and early stage energy modeling. I think we are all moving toward more efficient buildings (thank goodness) due to the 2030 Challenge (www.architecture2030.org (http://www.architecture2030.org/)) (that is now supported by AIA and a whole bunch of other people). We have a great opportunity to make better buildings and use this tool as a way to do so. I encourage anyone making bold steps into sustainable design to share, but if no one is there yet, hopefully I will be able to share soon...

Cheers,
Stephen

wdj_01
2007-04-09, 09:49 PM
I have completed one project, a very simple strip mall. Revit is very limited in the details of CD's, no text formatting, limited options for keynote styles and very little flexibility in how a project is designed. Speaking only of Mechanical, the system is fine if you are designing ductwork equipment to diffuser but kiss the intelligence good-bye if you aren't. It have been very frustrating so far but hopefully with improvements to the system and more learning on my part it will work out well in time.

But right now, my ABS drawings are much more intelligent than the Revit models I've created.

jvedio
2007-04-11, 01:40 PM
My firm's using it on a office tower right now and the only issue we've had so far is content creation and the speed of the program in terms of view redrawing. Other than that everyone loves it so far.

ldcadd127
2007-04-11, 10:49 PM
Nobody else is using Revit Systems?? :)

I am starting a project in which the architect is using Revit Building, and we've installed Revit Systems for the first time in February 2007. I am still in the infancy stage as far as implementation, but so far the only problems I've had are dealing with content and making our panel schedules similar to the output from AutoCAD. I've resolved it so far by using the AutoCAD versions so far, but hope that in the future, it will be included out of the box in Revit MEP soon.

David J Krope
2007-04-12, 10:33 PM
We decided this week to roll out Systems, er MEP, office wide. We started MEP and Structures on our first fully integrated project yesterday. I am very interested to see what improvements MEP 2008 has added as 2 is a bit light.