PDA

View Full Version : Exporting Systems Data to gbXML

Tyveka
2007-01-22, 04:09 PM
Hello there all,

I have a multi-faceted question. Our firm is using Revit Systems to do electrical and mechanical work now. We also use HAP 4.30. One of the interesting things that I've noticed about Systems 2 is that it will put out to gbXML. However, some of the data that I would like to have (that I would think Revit would export) is not in the gbXML file. For example, it comes up with room numbers and with area/volume, etc. It even identifies some of the window sizes appropriately. However, I have put (at least I thought I did) an air system into one of the tutorial projects and then exported it. I am getting strange data regarding different facing walls and I'm getting no data regarding the mechanical systems or the electrical equipment on export.

Also, even though the rooms have names, the room names are not coming through on the export to gbXML.

Can anyone out here help me to get more data brought into HAP via the gbXML export? This would really help sell our firm on the product even more. Also, I'm fairly new, so if anyone can point me in the direction of more information regarding gbXML, I would really appreciate it!

Thank you!

jvedio
2007-03-02, 04:18 PM
I'm having the same problem. Let me know if you come up with a solution and i'll keep you posted as well.

jvedio
2007-03-22, 07:18 PM
I actually tested this out along side someone from Autodesk support and it seems to be a bug in Revit Systems 2, it applies to linked files only. It will be fixed in the next release though. Just wanted to let everyone know.

kyle.bernhardt
2007-03-22, 10:22 PM
However, I have put (at least I thought I did) an air system into one of the tutorial projects and then exported it. There is currently no functionality in the gbXML Schema to support Ductwork or duct systems, so Revit MEP (upcoming new product name) does not export any of that information. What information are you looking to get into HAP?

Also, even though the rooms have names, the room names are not coming through on the export to gbXML. This is because that's how HAP imports the data we give it. The Space Name attribute, as defined in the gbXML Schema, is what's being imported by HAP. We export the Room Number parameter in Revit out to this attribute in gbXML. We export the Room Name parameter out to the Space Description attribute in gbXML.

Why you ask? Since a Room can often have the same name in a building, like "Office" or "Bathroom", and since most analysis programs that import gbXML files are non-graphical, it would be really difficult for you to tell which "Office" you're working on. The Room Number is much less likely to be duplicated in the model.

Also, I'm fairly new, so if anyone can point me in the direction of more information regarding gbXML, I would really appreciate it! Check out www.gbxml.org for more info on the Schema itself, you can also check out a blog post at http://greenrevit.blogspot.com/2006/09/working-with-rooms-green-building.html. Even though it's addressed to GBS, a lot of the prep items still apply. Expect to see some more info on using Revit for Energy Analysis coming from us in the near future.

Cheers,
Kyle B

buzz
2007-11-09, 10:34 PM
Here is what I did to fix this problem...

I export as gbxml from Revit... For whatever reason, it decides to put the Room Number under "Name" and the Room Name under "Description"...

...so, I open up the .xml file with wordpad (or other editing program)

Menu > Edit > Replace

Find what: "</Name><Description>"
Replace with: " - "
click Replace All

then...

Find what: "</Description>"
Replace with: "</Name><Description>Dang Revit, this is a description, not a roomname</Description>"
click Replace All

Then save the xml file and import it into HAP or Trace - It should bring in the spaces with the space names in the format of "101 - Office"

-Buzz