PDA

View Full Version : Revit Topo Model and/or Part CNC Milling Service

hand471037
2007-01-29, 05:41 PM
Hey everyone. Been really busy, but have gotten quite keen with the direct fabrication of going from Revit to CNC.

So I'm wondering, while it's been really great for our little design/fabrication projects, if there would be any money in milling site models and/or parts for other Revit users out there.

It would be really simple for someone to send me a site model from Revit, AutoCAD, Rhino, Max, or Civil 3D, and for me to produce a CNC-milled version of it out of wood or foam. However, most of the time, Architects don't have a ton of money to throw at a nice model, and if they do, they would hire someone who does that sort of work all the time (i.e. one of the many high-end model shops).

Also it would be really easy for someone to send me a Revit model, and then for us to cut or 3D carve custom parts out or wood, plastic, or aluminum. Like fancy parts for a custom reception desk, interior feature, or any other custom element. Then we could ship those parts back to the person. However, again, not too many Architects directly build things, it would be the contractor and subs that do this, and they probably already have arraignments with local shops who do this work cheap and fast.

So, what I'm wondering is:

A. What price range do you think is fair, or expect to pay, for a basic milled site model? How much have you paid for something like this in the past?

B. Would there be any interest in custom parts, trim, features, and the like as well? Maybe for those out there doing design/build or that are contractors using Revit? What kind of fees do you think would be acceptable for that kind of service, and would you be at all interested?

Thanks everyone!