PDA

View Full Version : Worksets crash when saving to central

sbrown
2003-06-25, 07:46 PM
Has anyone else experienced this senario.

1. working on single user project
2. need help, click worksets
3. save as central.
4. create a local file
5. 2nd user opens central and creates local file
6. 2nd user takes a workset, starts working
7. 2nd user click save to central and fatal error
8. first user tries to save to central crash.

9. 1st user creates new central file from his local file.
10. 1st user creates new local from new central
11. 2nd user creates new local.

12 . 1st user can save to new central, 2nd cant. crash.

some how revit is not releasing a workset enabled by the 2nd user even though the dialog box says no one has any worksets. the user can't relinquish because the file crashes when he tries to save to central(where you check the boxes to relinquish)

this has happened on all our projects and I can't figure out what we are doing wrong. Revit team has the data and is looking into it but I thought Id see if anyone else has experienced the same issue.

Steve_Stafford
2003-06-25, 08:50 PM
Thank God, no.

I've had up to three working on this one so far. We've each had worksets checked out and checked in and so far no problems. This project started life with a dead stock Revit template (commercial) though. That might be the only significant difference, you've probably got an office template developed? I got the impression from your post that more than one user created worksets? True? If so, that would be a difference too, I have been the only one to create new worksets.

Hope the R team sorts it out for you.

Kevin Janik
2003-06-25, 10:10 PM
I and another person did a 114 unit apartment project and never had a problem. I was sure we would but we did not. It seemed to good to be ture that everything saved correctly. I also was the only one who created new worksets.

Yman
2003-06-25, 10:20 PM
Nope, although we had something similar when a person had to do a recovery file. we saved a new central file and then made sure no one was checked into a workset and resaved as the central file 1 more time and then created local files and worked fine since. We have had a "can't save to central" only once before and I think it was related to split wall deal. I don't split walls anymore and seems to be fine.

Y

beegee
2003-06-26, 12:22 AM
Nope, although we had something similar when a person had to do a recovery file. we saved a new central file and then made sure no one was checked into a workset and resaved as the central file 1 more time and then created local files and worked fine since. We have had a "can't save to central" only once before and I think it was related to split wall deal. I don't split walls anymore and seems to be fine.

Y

Y,
If theres a problem with split walls and worksets, I'd like to hear more about it. My projects have heaps of split walls :shock: So far I havnt needed to do much with worksets, but times a changing.

beegee

christopher.zoog51272
2003-06-26, 01:08 AM
I've had somthing similar happen Scott, can't pin it down though, I've always chalked it up to new user error, 'cause it was inconsistant always happening to the "newbie". :wink:

I usually just created a new central file from my local and everything works fine, so long as all users give back there worksets at the end of the day.

Wes Macaulay
2003-06-26, 01:28 PM
Neither myself nor any of my clients have had workset problems. I would look around in the file and see if there are any views that cause a crash - usually there's an object in that view that's corrupt... maybe that's what's happening here.

Or: delete all the worksets so that objects are all dumped into one workset, then recreate the worksets, moving objects back to their original worksets.

Yman
2003-06-26, 03:35 PM
Y,
If theres a problem with split walls and worksets, I'd like to hear more about it. My projects have heaps of split walls So far I havnt needed to do much with worksets, but times a changing.

beegee

All I know is that sometimes I have had issues with split walls in other situation that Revit didn't seem to like and I never explored into it deep. I split a complex wall that was edited in elevation and then when I tried to save to central file that is when things fell apart. Good thing I had another file of the project and lost only a couple hours of work. I haven't used a split wall since. I'm scared :oops:

Y

rreissig1788
2003-08-18, 07:25 PM
We have had many a crash in the 6 weeks we have been on Revit. Both of our pilot projects are having this problem and without any consistency. We have tried to reproduce the failure, so we can get Autodesk to respond, but to no avail.

funkman
2003-10-14, 04:54 AM
revit is crashing for me now when I split a demolished wall...will restart the computer and try again..damn computers!!

Y,
If theres a problem with split walls and worksets, I'd like to hear more about it. My projects have heaps of split walls So far I havnt needed to do much with worksets, but times a changing.

beegee

All I know is that sometimes I have had issues with split walls in other situation that Revit didn't seem to like and I never explored into it deep. I split a complex wall that was edited in elevation and then when I tried to save to central file that is when things fell apart. Good thing I had another file of the project and lost only a couple hours of work. I haven't used a split wall since. I'm scared :oops:

Y

funkman
2003-10-14, 04:59 AM
ok still crashing and a mighty quick crash too - bamm and its off :shock:

BUT - it is only doing it on walls that were edited in profile. Will change them back to its default as a work around methinks...unless someone else has some ideas?

funkman
2003-10-14, 07:11 AM
yep - it is definitely only crashing when I try to split a wall that was "edit-profiled" in the existing phase and demolished in the current phase.

I dont know if anyone else has had this problem but just in case - I fixed this problem by changing this wall back to an unedited profile and then demolishing each wall in the current phase.

Steve_Stafford
2003-10-14, 10:24 AM
Don't forget to discuss this with support, it takes a little time, but is worth it for all of us that they hear it. This way it stands a chance of being fixed. Phasing can create interesting conundrums...trying joining an existing roof with a new one...seeya!

sbrown
2003-10-14, 02:27 PM
It warms my heart to know there are others struggling with worksets and crashes as we are. When I call support they are very helpful but act like worksets are working for all their other users so it must be something we are doing wrong.

I will share a very big tip with you all. DO NOT USE GROUPS in a workset environment. any kind of group unless you are extremely careful with how you use them.

We have had countless "cant save to central" problems in our last 2 jobs and it turns out in both cases groups were to blame. Groups can get screwed up so bad in worksets because you can easily group items on mult. worksets and then if you try to edit the group other instances of the group are on a workset someone else has, the save won't work and its almost impossible to find all the instances of the group and which workset its on.

Some of the worst are when you create a detail and you have some array'd mortar joints that make a group, then you add to that a group of detail lines or components and that group is in one users workset. then a second user needs a piece of that detail so he copy pastes it now that group is in 2 worksets and you don't know it until 3 hours later when you try to save to central and revit tells you it can't but doesn't tell you why so your are left trying to upload 3 90mb files to revit, this takes 3+ hours to upload, 3 hours for them to download and who knows how long to fix. So what do you do, you make a new local file and eat your loss.

Then you try to copy paste from the crashed file so not to lose everything and you copy paste those details(there just details you say they shouldn't effect anything, cause details are view specific right? well they are until they have a group in them.)

Just a long warning. Oil and Water, Groups and Worksets.

Wes Macaulay
2003-10-14, 09:28 PM
When using groups and worksets - for unit plans, for instance - we create a workset for each group. So if you've got six unit plans, you use seperate worksets for each, or you could have a workset for all the unit plans.

You're right about having groups on different worksets - that's not a good idea.

Steve_Stafford
2003-10-14, 11:13 PM
I think he's describing the burden of "discovery"...it takes great effort (for me anyway) to remember to change worksets everytime. So you could work merrily along and realize that you didn't switch worksets, then not switch everything to the correct workset because you forgot about that group you made...now each of your team does this and whammo blammo, can't save to central!! It's good advice to go slowly and carefully with worksets.

Wes Macaulay
2003-10-15, 01:11 AM
Yeah - that's true. People are going to use the software in ways you might not expect - and it may be the most logical thing in the world. And the software needs to handle all of those situations.

I don't use groups a whole lot other than for unit plans, and I would certainly like some improvements to how they work. I don't mirror groups - you get unexpected results, and I do hear Scott's pain. With the group thing I do see why they'd be having more trouble with worksets and central/local files...

Simon.Whitbread
2003-10-15, 01:31 AM
And theres me thinking that I'm the only one and maybe its my fault!
I've had two projects do this, one with worksets , one without.
It seems there may be a common factor though...

In each one, a copy of a floor plan with detailing would, for some reason start behaving abmormally. like taking FOREVER (well maybe 10secs) to zoom. Or do anything.

However, once I'd copied the detail objects and pasted them to another copy of the level [ NOT the 'duplicate with detailing' option ], things seem to behave themselves.

I have also had feedback from AutoDESK, saying that if you create a project in Revit 5.1 build no. [eg] ***1 and then update to another build, you may experience problems with the file crashing.

I think this programmes great, but...