PDA

View Full Version : Can I input a formula in AutoCAD???

jhohman
2004-07-06, 12:59 PM
I am using ADT 3.3 on ACAD2002 and I have always wondered something, is it possible to input a fomula in AutoCAD? Let me explain, say you are drawing a window (2D Line drawing) at a bay lets say. You have drawn a line to offset for the window opening and now you have to tell AutoCAD the offset distance. Is there anyway at this time that I could tell AutoCAD to offset 1/2 of what I input, so if I needed to offset 8'-6", instead of converting it to inches and then dividing it in half, could I input something that will tell AutoCAD to offset half the distance? I know I could just as easy draw a temporary line that is the length of the window and then pick the offset distance by endpoint and midpoint, I was just wondering if this has ever come up before? Thanks.

BrenBren
2004-07-06, 01:04 PM
You can use the geometric calculator To do this, start the offset command, type 'cal (note the apostrophe), then type 8'6"/2. This will calculate the distance. The command line will then prompt you to select the object you wish to offset. It will then offset that object 51".

jhohman
2004-07-06, 01:17 PM
Brenda, thank you so much!! I guess I need to learn more about the 'cal variable, I have only been using that to acquire the midpoint of 2 endpoints, and I use that alot!! I appreciate all the help and speedy reply.

treb
2004-07-07, 10:45 PM
sigh, I just wish I could insert a excel formula into a block attribute (2000i)

mjfarrell
2004-07-07, 10:56 PM
Similar mathematical formulea are possible within
Land Desktop during Line, Curve, and Point labeling operations.
They will add, subtract, multiply, divide, and perform trigometric
functions as well.