PDA

View Full Version : Export or Save DWG file to .STEP or .IGES

rabbid
2007-02-11, 05:01 AM
Ok I need help saving or exporting .DWG to .step or .iges file. I do have a copy of Inventor Pro 2006. However I am not yet familiar w/the software. I tried to import the DWG file into Inventor but the main componets were incomplete. I saw somewhere that if you exploded the image to 2D that it would open in Inventor. I did that However everything was scattered so that does me absolutely no good. Is there any way to do this with Mechanical Desktop. If someone could help me I would greatley appreciate any help. What would happen if I just renamed the file as a .step or .iges other than absolutely nothing????

Thanks
JOHN

jaberwok
2007-02-11, 09:37 AM
AFAIK, step and iges are 3d formats so "exploding to 2d" won't help.
Vanilla AutoCAD does not create these formats so I think you need to persevere with Inventor or Mechancial Desktop.
Renaming a file will achieve nothing, I'm afraid.

rabbid
2007-02-11, 12:20 PM
I do have a copy of mechanical desk top 2006 didn't figure there was a difference considering upon install it prompted me for which icon I wanted to display as quick link mechanical or autocad

jaberwok
2007-02-11, 12:23 PM
I believe MDT 2006 has export to iges. Could be wrong though.

rabbid
2007-02-12, 09:28 PM
I believe MDT 2006 has export to iges. Could be wrong though.
I'll have to re-install it right now using the 2007 demo

jonathan.landeros
2007-02-12, 11:56 PM
I'll have to re-install it right now using the 2007 demoACAD-M can export IGES by going to File>Export IGES.

MDT can also export STEP by going to the same location (File>Export and choosing STEP).

Hope this helps!

rabbid
2007-02-13, 01:59 AM
ACAD-M can export IGES by going to File>Export IGES.

MDT can also export STEP by going to the same location (File>Export and choosing STEP).

Hope this helps!

Thanks helps alot still pretty new to this