PDA

View Full Version : Plotting in Building System 2005

jfranco
2004-07-06, 05:44 PM
Hi
I have Autodesk Building System 2005.
They did a major overhaul in the plotting menu.
They removed one practical use for "inches or mm" found from previous releases
Now I have to add new page formats for all my printers; long and tedious.
I know the format for 24"x36" but don't ask me what the values are in metric.

When I had to print in metric I chose "mm" with paper size 24"x36",
in imperial I chose "inches" with paper size 24"x36".
I only had one set of paper size

Now I have to choose paper size 610x914 if the plan is in metric
and 24"x36" if it's in imperial.

Is there a patch that will add back "mm" and "inches" to the plot menu?

Thank You

Joe Franco
Groupe Stavibel

Beth Powell
2004-08-13, 03:39 PM
One thing that I often suggest to really streamline plotting is to use Named Page Setups.

You can do this in two ways.

First, you can go to File>Page Setup Manager. One important thing to note is that you need to pay attention to whether you are setting this up in model or paper space. You cannot set one up in one and use it in the other.

You simply set your plot options here and name it. I usually do one for Laser that is set to fit page and monochrome and another one for Plotter-D for the plotter, D-size sheet, 1:1 (plotting from paperspace), appropriate plot style table, etc.

This can also be set from the plot dialog box. You would set everything to plot and then choose "Add" in the top left hand corner next to Page Setup Name.

The beauty of this is that you can set your basic plotting setups once and then simply choose these from the drop down menu in the upper left of the plot dialog.

I set these up in the template so they are always there. Should you plot something that was created before you added this to the template, you can always go to that "Add" mentioned above and "Import" the page setups from another drawing.

As to the metric and Imperial units, this is set in most printer preferences within Windows. You generally need to choose one or the other nowadays.

Named plot styles make plotting so much more effecient. They've been around for years, but is one of those features very few people know or use.

Hope this helps!

mjfarrell
2004-08-13, 04:46 PM
The answer Joe is NO, AutoDESK
decided that if one is working in Metric units
that one would know the page dimensions in
Metric units, so they removed that toggle
and have no plans to give it back to us.

Published date: 2004-07-09
ID: TS84461

Applies to:
AutoCAD® 2005
AutoCAD LT® 2005

Issue

In the Plot or Page Setup dialog box, you want to select Plot Scale and Plot Offset using millimeters, but the options show inches. The radio buttons to change the units are not shown.

Solution

In AutoCAD® 2005 based products, the radio buttons Inches and Mm are no longer shown in the Plot or Page Setup dialog box. To change these options, you must select a metric paper size that uses millimeters. If there are no selections for paper sizes using millimeters in the Paper Size drop-down list, edit or create a PC3 file that will include the selection of metric paper sizes for the desired output device. See related solutions for more information about creating custom PC3 files.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/item?siteID=123112&id=4459172&linkID=2475323

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/item?siteID=123112&id=2867530&linkID=2475323

RobertB
2004-08-13, 05:42 PM
The answer Joe is NO, AutoDESK
decided that if one is working in Metric units
that one would know the page dimensions in
Metric units, so they removed that toggle
and have no plans to give it back to us.

Actually, I think it will come back, but not as a SP to 2005. We will likely have to wait for AutoCAD 2006.

mjfarrell
2004-08-13, 05:52 PM
Actually, I think it will come back, but not as a SP to 2005. We will likely have to wait for AutoCAD 2006.

Now there is a compelling reason to upgrade if I ever saw one.