PDA

View Full Version : Gray Walls

Brian Myers
2007-02-14, 09:53 PM
Curious... what setting in Revit Systems controls the display of the walls? First I must state I've used Building (now called Revit Architecture) for some time now, but the visibility parameters (graphic overrides) do not appear any different in systems than in building, but the walls are still gray. Why?

Just an easy question I'm sure (I've only studied Systems for a couple days now) but so far I've yet to see an answer.

Steve_Stafford
2007-02-15, 12:57 AM
The discipline of the view.

Brian Myers
2007-02-15, 01:45 PM
Ahhh.. that makes sense.

I'll owe you a :beer: at AU next year (yes, I was in your Revit families class at AU this year and enjoyed it very much...)

jason.combs
2007-03-08, 05:47 PM
Steve, do you have an idea how to control how Systems controls the discipline display? Architectural backgrounds display way too light.

See my other post:
http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=48148&highlight=discipline

kyle.bernhardt
2007-03-08, 10:31 PM
I had to rain on the parade, but the discipline settings are hard-coded in the app. Non-MEP objects are displayed with Underlay graphics when using Mechanical or Electrical discipline views, regardless of the state of the Visibility/Graphics setting.

That's currently how we handle the drawing of Hidden Lines, take the Non-MEP stuff out of the equation by putting them in the underlay display type. I'm not saying that is the best way to do it, but it's the best solution we found when developing the feature. It's on our radar screen.

HTH,
Kyle B

jason.combs
2007-03-12, 04:17 PM
Thanks, Kyle. :)

This is a basic Revit question, so don't laugh. The architectural backgrounds are printing way too light and need to be darkened. What is the best way to do this? I have messed with changing the line weights, but have received little results. Is there a shade/gray scale control? The line thickness is appropriate, but the shading is too light.

:)

jvedio
2007-03-14, 03:38 AM
Under visibility settings for the linked file, under object settings change the color for the walls to a darker shade of grey.

jason.combs
2007-03-14, 12:57 PM
Thanks. Maybe this is more technical than I thought. Going back to Kyle's explanation, I should reword the question.

How do I change the Underlay graphic settings?

If I can't, what is the best way to get them to print darker? Adjusting the line weights will be global.

Help!

jvedio
2007-03-14, 03:31 PM
I dont know if you can directly alter underlay settings but:

This can still be set under the links visibility settings. Just set the discipline to architectural under the links visibility settings. Then adjust the colors of the walls and everything else by object type. The discipline in your own drawing will stay the same as whatever mep discipline you set it to.

mjdanowski
2007-03-26, 01:33 PM
I dont know if you can directly alter underlay settings but:

This can still be set under the links visibility settings. Just set the discipline to architectural under the links visibility settings. Then adjust the colors of the walls and everything else by object type. The discipline in your own drawing will stay the same as whatever mep discipline you set it to.

This works rather well, I justed changed all the architectural categories within object styles to be the appropriate line weight and color for a reference. When you start a new project, then all you have to do is change the discipline.

jason.combs
2007-03-26, 01:57 PM
That is what I ended up doing too. Not bad, but we should be able to control the "underlay" setting of the linked files. I think the line weights are good, but the shading needs to be darker.

I can't change the plotter settings as this will affect the entire office.

mjdanowski
2007-03-26, 06:57 PM
yeah, same.

Our arch references are still a bit "grainy" so to speak, if we could sharpen them up somehow that would be great.

mjdanowski
2007-04-16, 02:27 PM
Another problem I have recently encountered with this issue.

For some reason, model lines and drafting lines are showing up as halftone much like the walls were for what I am guessing the same reason. I had to change the entire drawing to coordination discipline to make them show up as new work.

Though we can still reorganize our project browser via sub-discipline, it is kind of annoying to have to use a workaround for this.

Ultimately, we are going to have to draft some things on our plans that are outside of models. The whole automatic halftone thing is kinda detrimental to that.

mjdanowski
2007-04-17, 05:52 PM
OK, as I move further along with this, the more of a problem it becomes.

All detail line work under a mechanical or electrical discipline becomes halftone - which is bad. To alleviate this I switched all my views to coordination (a pain, but it fixed the problem).

Unfortunately, what now happens is all the duct work does not show its correct hidden/rise/drop line work.

I am essentially forced to choose between not having extra line work (unacceptable at this point) and not having correct hidden line work (also unacceptable).

This is a serious, serious, serious problem because it hinders the ability to make presentable documents.

Baldwin_4-6-0
2007-10-31, 01:26 PM
This Squeaky Wheel NEEDS some grease!!

AutoDesk if you are watching this thread you NEED TO SOLVE THIS ONE!!!

This is the kind of problem that will turn firms away from purchasing your software.

We all know Revit can draw 3D, but we produce 2D construction documents at the end of the day and we need drafting lines to show up Black when they need to be Black, while still using the discipline views.

kyle.bernhardt
2007-10-31, 04:00 PM
This one is definitely on our Radar screen. Currently the functionality is as-designed, and thus we cannot fix in a Web Update. We would need to develop new functionality to support this, which cannot be delivered in a Web Update.

This issue is high atop our list of "pain points" for documentation in Revit MEP. All I can say for now.

Cheers,
Kyle B

iru69
2007-12-05, 02:09 AM
I hope this issue gets fixed in Revit Architecture as well. I like to set my views to the appropriate discipline when creating plans, and there doesn't appear to be a way to control the half-tone in my electrical plans.

Also, details lines don't work correctly - model objects cover them up (in Revit Architecture).

We haven't worked with any consultants using Revit yet, but if we received plans printed as light as the half-tone currently prints, we'd probably reject them.