PDA

View Full Version : BOMA issues with Buliding Common

musico20002000
2007-02-15, 04:17 PM
Hi

This is the question. If you have an A/C room at the basement and the room give service exclusively to the ground floor main lobby, is it a building common or a floor common?

These are my assumptions

The room is not a floor common, because there is no benefit regards to that space to the basement level. Maybe is abuilding common but, it will give service only to a lobby and not to the whole building. So... What could be the logical approach to this?

I believe that if the A/C Room gives service to a building common area, (MAIN LOBBY) then it should be a building common area too but, I want to see other points of view.

Would it be logical to state that if a room serves to a building common area, then that room is a building common area too no matter what floor is located?

And for that, another question:

What if a room at the 2nd level serves a tenant space at the first level? This can not be a floor common to the 2nd level but is not a building common ether because the service is for a single tenant.

These are situations not addressed by BOMA and not in the BOMA's 26 questions paper but, these are real scenarios I have. Any approaches, comments or agreements are very welcome!

FN_RobertB
2007-03-15, 06:51 PM
Would it be logical to state that if a room serves to a building common area, then that room is a building common area too no matter what floor is located?

Yes.

And for that, another question:

What if a room at the 2nd level serves a tenant space at the first level? This can not be a floor common to the 2nd level but is not a building common ether because the service is for a single tenant.

It might be simpler to make all of your AC spaces Building Common and do your tenant proation from there.

-Robert

analyst
2008-03-25, 02:48 PM
Can you help me guys, i'm having trouble with using Common Floor & Building R/U ratios for tenants in Mixed-Use commercial properties (Office/Retail).

First - is it normal practice to apply the same R/U ratio in Mixed-Use Structures to both Retail and Office premises in one building or we can calculate R/U for Retail and Office separately? Is it just Store Area? I'm asking because of why retail-tenants must to pay for common areas on top-floors, like public conference hall or fire tambours at all floors?

Second - during lease-up, floors with high R/U ratios are more difficult to lease. So, is there any reasons to use single R/U Ratio that can be applied to all floors of the building? Is there any practice of using single R/U in Mixed-Use Structures in your city?

Thanks in advance.

musico20002000
2009-07-07, 03:37 PM
Can you help me guys, i'm having trouble with using Common Floor & Building R/U ratios for tenants in Mixed-Use commercial properties (Office/Retail).

First - is it normal practice to apply the same R/U ratio in Mixed-Use Structures to both Retail and Office premises in one building or we can calculate R/U for Retail and Office separately? Is it just Store Area? I'm asking because of why retail-tenants must to pay for common areas on top-floors, like public conference hall or fire tambours at all floors?

Second - during lease-up, floors with high R/U ratios are more difficult to lease. So, is there any reasons to use single R/U Ratio that can be applied to all floors of the building? Is there any practice of using single R/U in Mixed-Use Structures in your city?

Thanks in advance.

BOMA Standard is designed to calculate de R/U ratio for the hole building, in fact both space types are addressed in the standard as store and office spaces but the standard is still a guide. The most common aplication for retail spaces ( in my market) is using the Gross Leasable Area. You can google for it to see how to polyline it. You can use the R/U Ratio for mixed purposes, I'm actually separating the retail area from the office area on one of owr buildings. I have to add that in this difficult economic times for lthe lease market, you may want to offer a space free of additional space allocation charges. Don't forget to use tripple net (CAMS, TAX, insurances) charges for those retail tennats to ensure that you will be obtaining the rent income. If I where you I will look for an aproach that is ease to understand for the retail tennat wish is very different from the office tenant. If you are acting as the owner's consultant, then explain to him the diferent aproaches to figure out wish one is more flexible for him to handle over the building lifecycle.

J.