PDA

View Full Version : What are the main differences between AutoCAD and AutoCAD Mechanical?

jsnow
2007-02-21, 02:34 PM
I am looking at upgrading my Autocad what are the main differences between AutoCAD and AutoCAD Mechanical? Which would be better for doing 3D Design of pipe skids?

jaberwok
2007-02-21, 08:05 PM
Why not go for Inventor Series?
You get acad, mechanical, MDT and Inventor.

robert.1.hall72202
2007-02-22, 01:54 PM
I have the inventor/mdt/autocad subscription.

I have found that I need to mdt in order to have
a smooth transition for igesin and igesout.

Mdt can always run as vanilla AutoCad.

I would use MDT for 3d files and vanilla Cad for 2d.

jsnow
2007-02-23, 06:10 PM
Moved Where?

fhoffnar
2007-03-13, 05:16 PM
You don't want or need Inventor for what you're doing.

If you use a lot of standard parts and want to have them in a library then you may be interested in Mechanical. It also has shaft generators and other custom type tools. Be aware that other versions of AutoCAD wil have problems with files created in Mechanical, which was a show stopper when we considered using it.

For flexibility AutoCAD is your best bet.

gsanchez23
2007-03-14, 04:08 AM
Jsnow, here is how I explain Acad M to my clients; it is Autocad loaded with additional tools to make the life of the Mechanical designer easier. You have special dimensioning/labeling tools, it knows to keep proper dimensioning on detail views regardless of scale. you can define parts in front of other parts and if you move one of the parts the hidden lines update on their own. These are just a couple of things, there are literally dozens of other tools included.

As for skid design, I would recommend you consider Inventor Professional Routed systems. In particular the tubing and piping module, It will allow you to re-use your designs, create drawing views on it's own.

DarrenYoung
2007-03-14, 06:36 PM
I am looking at upgrading my Autocad what are the main differences between AutoCAD and AutoCAD Mechanical? Which would be better for doing 3D Design of pipe skids?
Think of Mechanical as a "mechanical" flavored, AutoCAD based parametric 2d drafting tool.

For 3d, you'll most likey want to go w/MDT or Inventor and I'd suggest Inventor as MDT, I don't believe will be around forever.

Father-of-Ten
2007-07-17, 04:46 PM
I also have a questions about the differences....

I have created a number of LISP routines some custom toolbars, etc that work with AutoCAD.

I had one of my users purchase Mechanical and now nothing that I sent him will work. Is there a setting to make it just AutoCAD, does LISP work with Mechanical?

Any thought?

Thanks for your help :)

BrenBren
2007-07-17, 07:09 PM
I also have a questions about the differences....

I have created a number of LISP routines some custom toolbars, etc that work with AutoCAD.

I had one of my users purchase Mechanical and now nothing that I sent him will work. Is there a setting to make it just AutoCAD, does LISP work with Mechanical?

Any thought?

Thanks for your help :)I've not had any problems with LISP programs not working in Mechanical that worked in AutoCAD.

There are some commands that might be different, but for the most part, there are AutoCAD command and Mechanical commands, and both are in Mechanical. Most of the mechanical commands are prefixed with AM, like AMRECTANG for the rectangle command; however, the command RECTANGLE will work in Mechanical.

Clear as mud?

Father-of-Ten
2007-07-17, 09:08 PM
I've not had any problems with LISP programs not working in Mechanical that worked in AutoCAD.

There are some commands that might be different, but for the most part, there are AutoCAD command and Mechanical commands, and both are in Mechanical. Most of the mechanical commands are prefixed with AM, like AMRECTANG for the rectangle command; however, the command RECTANGLE will work in Mechanical.

Clear as mud?

That is very clear - Thanks - I was trying to set up someones computer over the phone and everything that I thought would solve the problem didn't.
I had him send me some log files and it look different than the one I normally see. I think that I need to set up the file structure differently than I normally do.
Thanks for the info....

Have a wonderful day!

stu1037
2008-02-16, 01:46 AM
I've been doing a lot of searching and it has led me back to where I should have started all along... I have a question, similar to these, that i just can't find a suitable answer to.

first, a touch of background...

i've used ACAD since R12 and R14 in my education as a mechanical engineer. i never got into manufacturing as planned and ended up using 2000i for a while designing conveyor layouts for distribution warehouses. then on to Land Desktop working for a civil engineering firm for 4 years. was trained on Civil 3D before leaving to become a foodservice consultant (i design kitchen and servery layouts for colleges and public schools). so now i'm back to using plain old vanilla ACAD again in some very basic 2D plan applications. of all the architects that i work for and play around with, i've finally come across one that is going to require our small firm to start using Revit. i've ordered it and i'm excited to learn.

now, for something totally different... someone gave me a copy of Inventor 10 (no, it's not pirated). I've installed it on my home computer for the purpose of having ACAD at home, and hopefully I'll try to teach myself Inventor and make myself more valuable on my resume. and satisfy my own interests from college that I seem to have passed by a while ago. I have a few ideas for my other growing hobby, homebrewing and associated equipment.

so, blah blah blah, now my question.

What is the difference between AutoCAD, Autodesk Mechanical Desktop, AutoCAD Mechanical, and Inventor?

I believe that I've listed them in chronological order, though I could be wrong. I think that I've found some answers, but none definitive.

AutoCAD: 2D and 3D
MDT: 3D with a mechanical flavor
Mechanical: 2D with a mechanical flavor
Inventor: 3D paired with Vault, yet different from MDT

someone, please, what the heck is going on? why would i use one and not the other? if i've never used MDT, should I forget about it and just use Inventor? I guess I'm not really sure what I'm going to be doing with it yet, but maybe design a brewtree or a bike for kicks?

PLUR,
sTu

Arben.Allaraj
2008-02-16, 11:39 AM
I've been doing a lot of searching and it has led me back to where I should have started all along... I have a question, similar to these, that i just can't find a suitable answer to.

first, a touch of background...

i've used ACAD since R12 and R14 in my education as a mechanical engineer. i never got into manufacturing as planned and ended up using 2000i for a while designing conveyor layouts for distribution warehouses. then on to Land Desktop working for a civil engineering firm for 4 years. was trained on Civil 3D before leaving to become a foodservice consultant (i design kitchen and servery layouts for colleges and public schools). so now i'm back to using plain old vanilla ACAD again in some very basic 2D plan applications. of all the architects that i work for and play around with, i've finally come across one that is going to require our small firm to start using Revit. i've ordered it and i'm excited to learn.

now, for something totally different... someone gave me a copy of Inventor 10 (no, it's not pirated). I've installed it on my home computer for the purpose of having ACAD at home, and hopefully I'll try to teach myself Inventor and make myself more valuable on my resume. and satisfy my own interests from college that I seem to have passed by a while ago. I have a few ideas for my other growing hobby, homebrewing and associated equipment.

so, blah blah blah, now my question.

What is the difference between AutoCAD, Autodesk Mechanical Desktop, AutoCAD Mechanical, and Inventor?

I believe that I've listed them in chronological order, though I could be wrong. I think that I've found some answers, but none definitive.

someone, please, what the heck is going on? why would i use one and not the other? if i've never used MDT, should I forget about it and just use Inventor? I guess I'm not really sure what I'm going to be doing with it yet, but maybe design a brewtree or a bike for kicks?

PLUR,
sTu

There are many reason to reply that.
But I think those softwers really are very fitted to help us in our design with more tools that we need.

BrenBren
2008-02-21, 04:25 PM

PLUR,
sTu

AutoCAD does 2D and 3D designs for any environment. It's drafting software.

MDT - I've not used it, but I believe it is AutoCAD 3D with mechanical tools.

Mechanical - which is what we use here - AutoCAD with mechanical tools. It can do 3D just as plain AutoCAD does 3D. Mechanical includes tools that make mechanical design easier - standard parts such as fasteners, shafts, springs, steel shapes, etc, that correspond to different standards (ISO, ANSI, JIS, DIN). It'll create BOM's for you. It'll create hole lists. There is so much more to it, it's really hard to put everything in here. It's designed to help with 2D mechanical design.

Inventor - 3D mechanical modeler. I'm learning Inventor. I'm not very good at it. I find it very difficult to use right now, but that's because I haven't broken out of my AutoCAD habits (tough to do when you use AutoCAD at work, and Inventor in your spare time). Inventor is 3D for mechanical design.

That's the basics... Hope it helps a bit

dpettyjohn
2008-07-18, 12:51 PM
Very informative thread, answered some questions I had about AutoCAD, Mechanical, MDT, etc.

Now for my question. Does anyone know of a good book for Mechanical? My company upgraded from AutoCAD 2005 to AutoCAD Mechanical 2008 and I am having a very hard time finding any books, training, etc for Mechanical.
I am looking for a good reference manual for Mecahnical.

Thanks for any help

Cad Guru
2008-07-18, 03:15 PM
There's always the training through your reseller. That may be the most in-depth training you can get, but it's pricey. Igetit.com has an online Mechanical course for $25, it looks like it covers quite a few topics, but I have not tried it yet myself. Might be worth a look. Would like to hear what you think of it, if you decide to try it. I've been looking for an AutoCAD Mechanical Book since 2000, and have yet to find one. If you find anything please post it.

dpettyjohn
2008-07-18, 03:43 PM
Thanks, I had seen the training on Igetit.com and was considering it. As for the reseller, yes you are correct, very pricey.
Glad I am not the only one having issues finding a good reference book, or any Mechanical book for that matter, it helps me retain my slim grip on sanity. ;)
If I try the Igetit.com training I will be sure to get back to you about it, same about any books.

Thanks for the help