PDA

View Full Version : Circles have tops and bottoms?

jgratton
2007-03-01, 11:16 PM
I'm running through Ellen Finklestein's tutorials and in the second one she makes the following statement regarding adding thickness to circles and rectangles:

"Did you notice a difference (beyond the basic shape)? Interestingly, the cylinder has a top, but the box doesn't. In fact, the box doesn't have a bottom either. It turns out that when you add a thickness to objects:

Circles, 2D solids, and polylines with a width greater than zero have tops and bottoms.
Polylines and closed line figures do not have tops or bottoms."

I am using 2005 and my circle is just as open-ended as my rectangle.It dows not look like the one in her tutorial either. I see the tesselation lines inside my open topped cylinder.

Is there something new about circles that postdates the tutorial?

Mike.Perry
2007-03-02, 05:48 AM
[ SNIP ]

Is there something new about circles that postdates the tutorial?Hi Janet

Could you please point to the actual tutorial (supply a link), so we can take a look at what was written...

:beer: Mike

jaberwok
2007-03-02, 01:15 PM
They will all look the same until you Hide, Shade or Render. Then the results will be different in full acad and LT.

jgratton
2007-03-02, 02:30 PM
Hi Janet

Could you please point to the actual tutorial (supply a link), so we can take a look at what was written...

:beer: Mike

Sorry, here it is (http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/item?siteID=123112&id=3018122&linkID=2475176)

A new drawing behaved as Ellen wrote, but I was drawing circles on the sample drawing called OIL MODULE and that was the drawing where the circle did not have tops and bottoms, so there must be a system variable involved. I have tried resetting dispsilh, facetres and shadedge, but I cannot make the circles on the OIL MODULE drawing appear like my drawing1.

It's not a problem really, just a puzzle as I am trying to learn 3D on my own from the inside out.