PDA

View Full Version : Table Data

bweir
2004-07-14, 05:09 PM
I'm glad to see that Autodesk finally put a Table Entity into AutoCAD. However I thing that you guys could do a little better.

- Add combinations of Text with Blocks to cells
- Add mulitiple blocks to cells
- Row and Column Addressing (like in Excel) and calculate functions
- Improve the Table Styles for use of templates (the current styles are way too basic)
- In the Styles, format a Row/Column rather then same for all data
- Add Headings on Left or Right (not just Top or Bottom)

Wanderer
2004-07-14, 05:27 PM
I second that emotion...

bweir
2004-07-21, 04:02 PM
Something else I just thought about. The ability to insert a Table into MTEXT.

RobertB
2004-07-21, 11:16 PM
Getting greedy now, aren't you? ;) Since a table has MText within it, that might be tricky.

molsen72358
2004-08-06, 06:32 PM
How about the ability to put the lines on a different layer than the text so we don't have to force color.

DAVIDINEDMOND
2004-08-06, 08:42 PM
How about the holy grail of tables in autocad and be able to insert a linked excel table that is still an autocad entity such as a block with set linetypes/layers/etc...

bpayne
2004-08-19, 11:20 PM
I would just be happy if a table template could be saved outside the drawing you created it in. It's like being able to make a block, but not being able to write it out to a file. (OK...so Design Center makes this illustration less impactful then it could be, but you know what I mean!)

RobertB
2004-08-19, 11:27 PM
How about the ability to put the lines on a different layer than the text so we don't have to force color.

:banghead: Actually, tables need to support STB's also.

bweir
2004-08-31, 05:04 PM
Getting greedy now, aren't you? ;) Since a table has MText within it, that might be tricky.

Shouldn't be difficult to combine MTEXT and a TABLE. You can nest block within block within block. I see the technology functioning in a similar manure with combining MTEXT and TABLEs.

dgriessmann
2004-09-01, 07:20 PM
How do dumb down a table created in 2005 so it can be viewed in 2004?

Wanderer
2004-09-01, 07:24 PM
How do dumb down a table created in 2005 so it can be viewed in 2004?
Tables created in 2005 are proxy objects when opened in previous releases. We were able to explode them. In 2004 the geometry became lines & mtext, while in 2000 the lines disappeared and the annotation became text objects. (from dotsoft.com)

Also, next time you have a question, you can ask it in the appropriate forum (http://forums.augi.com/forumdisplay.php?f=58) for ACAD 2005 general.

Hope that helps. :)

tlewald
2004-09-08, 12:34 PM
dynamically linked tables imported into AutoCAD as native objects would make me jump up & down!

jkipfer
2004-10-13, 02:22 PM
I would just be happy if a table template could be saved outside the drawing you created it in. It's like being able to make a block, but not being able to write it out to a file. (OK...so Design Center makes this illustration less impactful then it could be, but you know what I mean!)

So does this mean I can't create several tables for schedules, drawing lists etc, and then save them into a template or as part of a standard sheet set? Do you have to re-create the tables each time? The sheet list table info disappears once you have no sheets in your sheet set, so how do you save the table as part of your sheet set template?

Thanks,

Jason

Glenn Pope
2004-10-13, 03:27 PM
So does this mean I can't create several tables for schedules, drawing lists etc, and then save them into a template or as part of a standard sheet set? Do you have to re-create the tables each time? The sheet list table info disappears once you have no sheets in your sheet set, so how do you save the table as part of your sheet set template?

Thanks,

Jason
Tables can be saved as part of a template. bpayne just want to save the table out to a file like WBlock.

Spectrefish
2004-10-13, 03:37 PM
How about having the standards checker include tables! Or has someone created a plug in for this already and I'm just left in the dark?

aram.chavdarian
2004-10-13, 10:19 PM
I love being able to use the table, but a few little improvements might make it much more attractive. Here are my suggestions, but let's hear everybody's:

1. Things don't align right all the time. If we had some more options it might help. For example, I have one column showing numbers and the next column with text associated with the number. they're both aligned top-left, but they're still not on the same line. There are also several other alignment problems. Anything besides middle-center seems to have slight alignment variations between cells.

2. Keyboard shortcuts for alignment options. like ctrl-l for align top-left, whatever.

3. For blocks with attributes, once the block has been placed in the cell, we should be able to double-click the cell to get to the attribute dialog instead of first having to re-choose the block every time.

4. Speaking of blocks, how about an option to center the block using the the insertion point for alignment, instead of the extents of the block object.

Glenn Pope
2004-10-14, 01:17 AM
Those are some pretty good ideas. Haven't had a problem with alignment though.

Something else I would like to see is some more merging cell options. Right now if you merge two cells, the data in the left cell is what will populate the new merged cell. A lot of times I don't have anything in the left cell, but do in the right cell. I would like to be able to tell it which cell to keep the information from.

tlewald
2004-10-22, 05:05 PM
wow, there recommendations are great - sure would make my life a lot easier if they were implemented now :banghead: