PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading from the late 20th Century (gotta go one step at a time here...)

Commissar Rod
2007-04-09, 01:59 PM
I work for a Family Owned Steel Mill that has been around since the early 1900's. They still do alot of things "the way we've always done it" and only upgrade kicking and screeming (our safety guy just moved on to another job because he got fed up with all the resistance he was getting from the union on implementing a drug and achohol program, the plant superintendent told him "I know guys who can drink a couple and still do their job ok..." I think you all get the picture). I interned here while in college and I was just hired on full time in december when I graduated as the company's first "Real" drafter. I have had to break through alot of old habits (one being all drawings had to be to scale so the machinists could measure things not listed on the drawing to make the part rather then doing it the way the dimensions dictated). Right now drawings are emailed back and forth, but any changes are done by printing the paper out and faxing or delivering it back to me to change. Autodesk offers us really nice tools for dwf markup and I am meeting resistance to changing to doing things that way. Some reasons are cost (its free i counter) and training (if you can use paint you can do it i say). Can anyone offer any pointers/websites/blogs that can help me push this idea through, or for that matter, if anyone has an alternative or thinks we should not change, I am open to hearing that as well. thanks!

Mike.Perry
2007-04-09, 02:23 PM
Hi

A good place to start (in my humble opinion)...

Beyond the Paper (http://dwf.blogs.com/beyond_the_paper/)

Have a good one, Mike