PDA

View Full Version : Structural - Glue Lam Beam

bmgp
2007-04-11, 06:35 PM
Here is a Glb block that I have created that I find very useful. I have not completed it yet, but I do have a lot of different sizes in it.

Sean

Chris.N
2007-04-11, 06:44 PM
Here is a Glb block that I have created that I find very useful. I have not completed it yet, but I do have a lot of different sizes in it.

Seanare you aware you could do that block without vis states? Lookups, stretches, & arrays...

bmgp
2007-04-11, 09:27 PM
I was not aware of that, but what would be the benefit of using those actions instead of the visibility states?

Mr Cory
2007-04-11, 11:41 PM
You could add another styles of beams that require vis states to hide hatchs etc

or you could have the beam in elevation

Mr Cory
2007-04-12, 01:06 AM
Plus it would cut down on all the lines. The original block could consist of 5 green lines and the 6 grey ones.

bmgp
2007-04-12, 01:51 AM
so how would you go about improving the block. I am always open to suggestions. I have just kind of been creating them the only ways I can think of it. I haven't gotten to much experience on the blocks, so a lot of the ones that I have created are the easiest way that I can figure out. So any ideas to simplifiy and add to would be greatly accepted.

Mr Cory
2007-04-12, 02:59 AM
Thats a great attitude to have!

K firstly i would use a stretch for the variable widths. Use a linear parameter which is justified from the center. (found in the properties). Then have a stretch action on each end of the parameter.

Next i would use an array to duplicate the laminations, which is the tricky bit as the diagonal line switch directions and there is not always an even number of laminations.

Will have to have a better look later

Chris.N
2007-04-12, 01:14 PM
I was not aware of that, but what would be the benefit of using those actions instead of the visibility states?file size and complexity. your lookup controling the block would be your size list. instead of having to add or subtract a vis state when updating, you just update the lookup.

Chris.N
2007-04-12, 01:32 PM
i could figure out the block easily if you had all the hatches going in the same direction, but untill then, here's my take on starting it out keeping the base-point centered on the bottom of the beam. i have not added the lookup to it tho, i'll leave that to another helpfull soul as i have to go make the man some money now... ;)

Mr Cory
2007-04-12, 09:39 PM
I have it working from 4 to 9 laminations, Its on its way, may just take a few hours...

Chris.N
2007-04-12, 10:10 PM
I have it working from 4 to 9 laminations, Its on its way, may just take a few hours...what the heck are ya doing to it? the lookup should be the most time intensive part of the project once the stretches are worked out...

Mr Cory
2007-04-12, 10:26 PM
I noticed on your version that the arrays werent working properly. Here is what i have soo far

Mr Cory
2007-04-12, 11:45 PM
Here we go, you will have to change the lookup properties so they match the original