PDA

View Full Version : Room Calculations

mjdanowski
2007-04-12, 07:48 PM
I have been having this reoccurring problem every since we started our first project in Revit Systems a few months ago. For some reason, none of my receptacles, fire alarm fixtures, lighting fixtures and/or lighting devices will show up within a room in the system browser. They will not show up on watts/sqft calcs and have been pissing the **** out of me since I started with the software.

Before this wasn't as big of a deal, but I have been really hardcore cranking out our first Revit problem from scratch for the last 2 months and it the farther I get along it seems the less amount of "cool stuff" Revit can actually produce. So essentially, I would really like to take a stand with these damn room calcs to show to both myself, and more importantly my fellow highly skeptical engineers that this wasn't just a waste of time.

Anyway, ranting aside.

Anyone know what makes something "stick" into a room?
Everything on my systems browser is categorized under "unassigned" even though they are physically in rooms. Does it have to do with the connector's location? A project parameter of some sort?
I tried messing with the room boundaries but it didn't seem to do anything.
I have been completely befuddled by this, and I have tried almost everything to try to fix it. Originally, rooms would show up with wall hosted families (and not face based), however sometime lately it has just stopped. I just don't know why.

Thanks

jvedio
2007-04-13, 03:26 PM
here is a video showing the process of creating a power system. Let me know if it helps.

mjdanowski
2007-04-13, 06:37 PM
here is a video showing the process of creating a power system. Let me know if it helps.

well the power systems work, I can circuit and do all that fun stuff fine. However, for example, when I check a panel schedule it will just say "Power" rather then "Power Rm. 103." The rooms are not "seeing" the circuits and devices within it, and therefore not showing up on the watts/sqft etc. calcs within the room properties. The system browser is also not categorizing my devices by room under that organizational option, it is just saying "unassigned".

kyle.bernhardt
2007-04-13, 07:41 PM
Familes will register as "inside" a room if their insertion point lies within the boundaries of the room. This is seen as the original location of the reference planes when you first start building a family.

You should be able to get these to work, it just may take a bit of inspection. Without seeing your model it's difficult to tell what the problem is. Do you hve access to Subscription Support? I'd highly recommend that you log this issue with them. They can involve the Product Team if needed.

Cheers,
Kyle B

mjdanowski
2007-04-13, 07:58 PM
Familes will register as "inside" a room if their insertion point lies within the boundaries of the room. This is seen as the original location of the reference planes when you first start building a family.

You should be able to get these to work, it just may take a bit of inspection. Without seeing your model it's difficult to tell what the problem is. Do you hve access to Subscription Support? I'd highly recommend that you log this issue with them. They can involve the Product Team if needed.

Cheers,
Kyle B

These are all wall based families though, so in theory they should always be inside the room :(

kyle.bernhardt
2007-04-13, 08:04 PM
Yep, so that indicates there's some sort of a problem (obviously). I've seen things linke this before, I think you should involve our Support Team to get to the bottom of this for you.

Does this seem to happen in certain families, certain models, all of the above? If it's just a family, care to upload a copy?

Kyle B

jvedio
2007-04-13, 08:11 PM
If you're having this trouble using custom families, can you post one of them and I'll test it. Otherwise can you post the project file?

mjdanowski
2007-04-13, 08:12 PM
Yep, so that indicates there's some sort of a problem (obviously). I've seen things linke this before, I think you should involve our Support Team to get to the bottom of this for you.

Does this seem to happen in certain families, certain models, all of the above? If it's just a family, care to upload a copy?

Kyle B

it seems random, though most of my electrical equipment is showing up, and none of my devices are. The majority of the 400 or so elements are electrical devices.

mjdanowski
2007-04-13, 08:18 PM
Here is the main offender.

Thing is though, under my first rendition of the project before it was scrapped (due to me not knowing what the hell I was doing), this all worked fine. Now nothing works.

kyle.bernhardt
2007-04-13, 08:26 PM
Can I get a screen grab of your Room and Area Settings for your project?

mjdanowski
2007-04-13, 08:32 PM
though I have already messed around with these settings a lot.

jvedio
2007-04-14, 03:28 AM
I am having the same problem with the receptacle family you posted. After creating the power circuit the receptacle doesn't show up in the system browser.

But, and this is curious, if I remove the receptacle from the circuit, finish the circuit then go back and add the receptacle to the circuit again it shows up properly in the system browser.

Try this and let me know if you experience the same thing.

If your'e still having trouble dont use your family, try to alter the existing revit receptacle to suit your needs.