PDA

View Full Version : Converting 3D polylines to surfaces or solids

Darren Allen
2007-04-17, 06:18 PM
I am in need of converting or creating surfaces or solids from a 3D polyline object that is not planer. The objects (ceiling tiles) will be installed at varying angles and elevations. Please give precise directions as possible.

Thanks

jaberwok
2007-04-17, 06:48 PM
It's hard to guess how a 3d polyline equates to a set of surfaces. Would you like to provide more information or a file?

Darren Allen
2007-04-17, 06:59 PM
What are the Directions to share the file?

jaberwok
2007-04-17, 07:06 PM
When you reply, scroll down below the text entry box to Additional Options / Manage Attachments.

Darren Allen
2007-04-17, 08:07 PM
Look at this in 3D and rotate as necessary to view the elevated planes that I am referring to.

Thanks

Darren

jaberwok
2007-04-17, 09:54 PM
Are these the bits you are interested in?
The new parts coloured "bylayer" (orange) on layer "new" are Regions converted from the old polylines (not 3d polylines).
The new parts coloured green are also Regions but the two new Regions replace one old 3dpolyline. You can see the split line where there is a change of orientation.

HTH.

Darren Allen
2007-04-18, 12:36 PM
Thanks for attempting to help...I think you may not be able to see the lines above the flat lines you made into regions. Please check my dwg again for the lines above. Let me know if you do not see them.

Thanks

Darren

jaberwok
2007-04-18, 12:39 PM
Okay. I'll take another look when I get home this evening.

jaberwok
2007-04-18, 07:15 PM
Like this?

I've changed your lines to layer "new" and drawn 3dfaces over them (I noticed you were already using 3dfaces). Only two shapes had to be divided - see the small faces in green.

If this is still not right please reduce the file to just the parts that you're interested in.

Luck.

fhoffnar
2007-04-19, 12:06 PM
I tried to flatten your sections, as that seemed to be what you were asking for, but they were drawn twisted.

Darren Allen
2007-05-09, 06:54 PM
OK, back to this project...the file which was originally attached shows the items in their final 3D positions. I need to thicken, extrude or create 2" thick panels from what is shown. They will be installed in a ceiling in the actual locations shown. Can someone direct me?

jaberwok
2007-05-09, 06:57 PM
I can't swear to it but doesn't A2007 have a "thicken" command for this situation?

Darren Allen
2007-05-09, 07:14 PM
Thicken command will not complete this task.

jaberwok
2007-05-09, 07:30 PM
I'm still not sure which parts you are interested in but the blue polylines will Extrude to solids.

Darren Allen
2007-05-09, 07:41 PM
The red lines floating above the blue lines. I was able to explode the red ployline objects and use the mesh edge to create just that out of 4 lines at Varian planes, however, it will not allow more than 4. Is there a way for more than 4?

...This didn't help either. I really need to make 2" thick ceiling panels out of the red floating lines in 3D. I have attached a current file. Turn off the 00-background layer to see the red more clearly.

jaberwok
2007-05-09, 07:53 PM
Isn't this where we came in?

A polyline can have any number of sides greater than 2.
You can create flat, closed polylines by first (if necessary) creating a co-ordinate system on or parallel to the flat plane for the polyline. A non-flat surface has to be divided into flat areas. Closed polylines can be extruded.
Please, if you want any more, cut the file down to just the relevant parts just so we know that we're talking about the same things.

Good hunting.

Darren Allen
2007-05-09, 08:00 PM
Try this simplified file. See what you can.

jaberwok
2007-05-09, 09:00 PM
I've started but now it's bedtime.
That's all by creating UCSs and polylines. It may also work by using Edgesurf and Thicken (?).

Darren Allen
2007-05-10, 01:21 PM
Thanks John, that looks great! Now here's the challenge; all the Joints (seams) that are perpendicular to the individual UCS's for each panel, has to be perpendicular to the World UCS. The wide joints will have light bars suspended above them.

Darren

jaberwok
2007-05-10, 06:34 PM
Hmm. How about the real-world objects? Are they going to have their sides shaved off at odd angles?
Anyway, once you have the solids, the Slice command used whilst in WCS should do the trick. That'll do the upward edges. You'll be wanting to add material to the downward edges though. :-( I'd try rotating the object UCS through 90 degrees, drawing a triangle on the edge and extruding that along the edge. Then Union, of course.

BTW, ignore the earlier Edgesurf suggestion.

Darren Allen
2007-12-05, 02:17 PM
Thank you for all of your input. I see what I have to do.