PDA

View Full Version : MORE MORE MORE copy/monitor...

Rudy Tovar
2007-05-01, 01:15 AM
Ok, that pretty much says it...

More objects to be copied or controlled...

This would really open the doors for multi-Discipline....

And I'm not just talking about monitoring walls, but families...

Example...equipment......

mjdanowski
2007-05-01, 12:22 PM
See, I would like to see less objects based upon C/M. Things like walls should be an "automatic" functionality where you can host it right upon the element in the link, and then constrain based upon points in the link.
Things like rooms, titleblocks, project parameters (for titleblock entries for example) and anything that is shared by both the architect and the MEP engineer should be copied.

Perfect example would be like what you said with equipment. A dishwasher has its location specified by the architect, but we need to give it an electrical connection. We do not want to have to deal with its "physical" characteristics, the architect has already done that. All we care about is the connection. If this is all we care about, why do we need to copy it? Ultimately what would be better is if we could just hook it up to the link and be done with it.

Rudy Tovar
2007-05-21, 04:42 PM
What if the dishwasher moved?

mjdanowski
2007-05-21, 05:42 PM
What if the dishwasher moved?

then everything connected to it should move, just like if it was copied over (except it isn't). Copy/monitor as I see it now is just a way to interact with elements of the linked file, if this whole administrative phase could be avoided, I think a lot of things would be a lot easier.

ahefner
2007-06-26, 06:23 PM
Well I agree, MORE, MORE, MORE things should have the ability to be copied/monitored.

Like ceilings and equipment or at least the ability for the MEP package to interact with the "equipment" families from the architect/structural package, so we can add our necessary connectors without having to completely re-insert the family.

The arch currently specifies the ceiling and then gives a "lighting intent" while we show the electrical connections and then to IECC and Health Department checks. If we HAVE TO move a light we loose the "BIM" technology of "sharing" the information and have to turn off their lights and show our own. Basically, redoing work that has already been completed instead of simply modifying the work.

Just my $0.02 worth.