View Full Version : Annotation - On it's own Xref ?
2007-05-03, 01:32 AM
We all know the benefits of having annotation (text, dims, tags) in Model Space, but do you agree there can be advantages to having annotation on a separate xref (ie not in Model Space of the sheet file) ? I used this method on the very large Venetian Casino project in Macau, China, mainly so that a draftsman could work on a 'annotation' mark-up while someone else was working on the graphical mark-up (there were 20 draftsmen and 12 No. 1:100 sheets per level). Has anyone got any observations on working this way ?
I've seen it done, but don't really understand the benefits. It's just one more extra drawing you have to get into. I suppose you could use the argument that one person could be working on the xref base, one person could be working on the text and dimensions and one more (3rd) person could be editing the title block info (but how often is that needed?).
We (the company I work for) use allot of xref bases for our model geometry. We have plot sheets (drawings with layouts and titleblocks etc) where the xref bases get inserted.
We put all our (model realated) text and dimensions in model space in the plot sheet drawing on the xref bases. We put all general notes and symbols in paper space in the plot sheet.
I don't see a benefit to having an annotation xref separate from the plot sheet.
Are you referencing the annotation of the same area in multiple sheets?
2007-05-03, 03:04 PM
I would break the sheet notes out as a seperate xref.
For the most part I advocate the arrangement set up by Architectural Desktop, which is roughly a three level set up. The linework is in one collection of xrefs - those are combines in a View dwg where the dims and 90% of the annotation is placed (all in model space) The remaining 10% is for the sheet notes (floor plan notes, refleced ceiling notes, etc...) Than in the View dwg's layout space I make the appropraite viewport which gets xrefed into the sheet dwg.
I understand your desire to break the sheet up into smaller chunks for more people to pick up redlines though I would stick to more of a one person one sheet method. That person is working the whole sheet in unison vs. hoping that it will all come together without overlapping or conflict between the text ad linework.
I understand your desire to break the sheet up into smaller chunks for more people to pick up redlines though I would stick to more of a one person one sheet method. That person is working the whole sheet in unison vs. hoping that it will all come together without overlapping or conflict between the text ad linework.That's what I was talking about. Usually, when you're scrambling at the 11th hour on a project, you may have someone editing the model geometry and someone else editing notes, dimensions and titleblock information. Why add a third step???
2007-05-04, 03:32 PM
That's what I was talking about...
Not only is it another step, you would be adding time and people since you will need to ensure the redlines now make a good sheet. You don't want someone widening some text or adding some lines to the text causing it to now run over some dims or line work.
Having more bodies to throw at a project doesn't always get faster/more accurate results. You get to a point where the people are just stumbling all over each other.
I agree that this is not the way to go.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.1.11 Copyright © 2013 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.