PDA

View Full Version : View Discipline?

jamie.casile80054
2007-05-03, 04:12 AM
Aloha,
I am normally a Revit Architecture user, but I am currently dealing with Revit MEP. I am linking in a Revit Bldg file from another into a Revit Sys (still on previous releases)...
What is happening, is that anytime we look at any view other than level 1, it s-l-o-w-s down to a crawl. its really strange. level 1 is fine, and if we open up the bldg file, its fine on both levels. also, we've made an interesting discovery - if we change the discipline of the view to architecture or coordination, then it works fine!
so my question is, is this something other people have encountered? is there a solution? am i missing something crucial?
and, if not, are there any repercussions that i am unaware of if we change the disciplines of all the views to coordination and leave the sub-disciplines?
Thanks in advance,
jamie

Mottiqua
2007-05-03, 11:20 AM
Aloha,
I am normally a Revit Architecture user, but I am currently dealing with Revit MEP. I am linking in a Revit Bldg file from another into a Revit Sys (still on previous releases)...
What is happening, is that anytime we look at any view other than level 1, it s-l-o-w-s down to a crawl. its really strange. level 1 is fine, and if we open up the bldg file, its fine on both levels. also, we've made an interesting discovery - if we change the discipline of the view to architecture or coordination, then it works fine!
so my question is, is this something other people have encountered? is there a solution? am i missing something crucial?
and, if not, are there any repercussions that i am unaware of if we change the disciplines of all the views to coordination and leave the sub-disciplines?
Thanks in advance,
jamie

Have you done a purge and Audit on both files? That will clear up some of the unused info that can bog down the file.
Also check the systems file, make sure that there isn't a family out there that is heavily detailed
(we once downloaded a manufacturer's content that was done in 3d autocad, and brought it into revit....it was detailed down to the nuts and bolts - no joke...and it killed our system. The item itself was about 3 meg. Once we got rid of it, the model worked fine....)

Also you might want to consider upgrading Revit. If you're using 9.0 (building) and 1.0 (sys)
that may be another reason it's running slow, and running faster when in 'arch mode'

Other than that, I'm not sure why it wouldn't be slow on that one floor, unless there isn't a lot of systems info on that particular floor.

mjdanowski
2007-05-03, 12:34 PM
Aloha,
Thanks in advance,
jamie

I have experienced it.
If you change a mechanical drawing to coordination or architectural, what will happen is all the "mechanical" linework will not be added to things like risers, drops, and any duct which is hidden (hidden linework). Another problem with this is that you also cannot use detail lines within mech views as it will show up halftone. These are all problems which AD has acknowledged and we will hopefully see a fix soon.

kyle.bernhardt
2007-05-03, 09:27 PM
In Hidden Line mode in Mechanical and Electrical discuipline views the graphics system has a lot more work to do. It needs to determine what things pass underneath eachother, and draw those items differently, as well as determine where things like Rise/Drops occur. With more work, means more time to process -> slower performance. This is made worse by complex MEP families that might exist in a given view (try dropping in the Air Cooled Chiller).

We realize that it is too slow in some cases....can't say any more than that.

Cheers,
Kyle B

jamie.casile80054
2007-05-04, 02:47 AM
thank you all for the responses. so, will it work ok in wireframe? :(
what would be the best route to take regarding this? how are other people working with revit mep? i doubt that they are all only on a single level..... :Oops:
can i manually change the settings with visibility/graphics to account for the mech/elec discipline?
thanks,
jamie
p.s. i purged the heck out of it and then did an audit. also, no MEP items have even been added yet...... its a clean file. only thing in there is the linked in arch file.