PDA

View Full Version : What system can take REVIT?

Merlin
2004-07-22, 07:36 AM
Hi,

This question may sound stupid, BUT....can REVIT be loaded onto and handled by a Pentium 3 (555 M/bytes) with 512 M/bytes RAM that is running Windows '98? (yes!....I know it's an "antique")....

Obviously it would be highly advisable to install it on a superior system, but I might be in a situation where I have to load REVIT onto an existing system now and will be upgrading the hardware & Windows later. I've looked through the on-line manuals and can't find any system requirements (they may well be staring me in the face, but I just can't find any)

Thanks,
John Mc

beegee
2004-07-22, 07:51 AM
The last time I saw published Minimum Hardware spec requirements, it was for R 5.1.

At that time the preferred min was Pentium 4 or Athlon 2.8 GHz with 256 Mb min for a single user ( preferred 1024 Mb DDR )and the preferred op was Windows XP Pro.

R6.1 is a bit hungrier again.

I guess all you can do is try it - might work for basic stuff, maybe. Win 98 will be the main problem I'm thinking.

Merlin
2004-07-22, 08:01 AM
hmmm....thought as much...*sigh*....Thanks beegee

John Mc

SkiSouth
2004-07-22, 09:12 AM
Don't let the hardware stop you from learning Revit (if you don't know the program).I have a dual PII 300 that I keep in reserve to answer emails and plot under a crunch. It ran 5.1 for about a year til I upgraded to quad pIII's. My renderers are not as quick as a dual P4, but I can survive as I don't have 6 G's tied up in a box (yet - I will buy a new system hopefully next year). If you can bump your memory to 1 or 2 Gigs, put a separate HD in for your windows swap file, and give your C drive a good 40 percent (minimum) free, you can survive and learn the software - and make a living.

By the way -the PII will run 6.1...just S L O W L L Y handling the larger files, but once up, then it seems the graphics card kinda slows it up more than the box itself...

bclarch
2004-07-22, 02:16 PM
I believe that 6.1 is not designed to be used with anything less then Windows 2000.

Scott D Davis
2004-07-22, 04:20 PM
I run 5.1 on a Win 2000 P3 machine, 450Mhz, with 384M RAM. It runs fine for smaller models. I've rendered on it, and yes, it is slower, but it still works!

trombe
2004-07-23, 10:11 AM
John,

I only have a P III, 733 Intel Coppermine, 512 Mb SDRAM, 64 Mb GeForce 4 cheapie MX card and Win 2K SP4 and Revit 6.1 runs fine for my mainly residential work - file sizes up to 11Mb after closing, not while rendering.

Rendering is slow that is true, at resolutions of 150 - 500 dpi, but 6.1 seems to be faster and hang less than ever before and the results are pretty good I think.

If you can, I would definitely wait for the next generation motherboards featuring the PCI Express codecs, rather than the AGP series grpahics, also much higher bus speeds and CPUs in the range 3.4 to 6+ Ghz.
This leap is almost here in retail and rather makes buying into P4 technology right now a poor buy.
If ,however, you are doing commerical work of any scale, I am sure you will hear everyone say ( quite rightly) you need P4 power NOW Also, in NZ at least, you can get a fair P4 for about the price of a good digicam.
cheers
trombe

Merlin
2004-07-30, 03:34 AM
Hmmm!.....OK...thanks, gang.....Seems like the biggest essential is that you're running Windows 2000 at least.