PDA

View Full Version : Worksets and Alternates

Steve_Stafford
2003-07-03, 09:33 PM
My project has an alternate for a locker room that shares a common wall with a gym. The common wall is either a masonry interior wall for 1 story and an upper story of cavity wall; or an exterior cavity constructed wall. (by cavity I mean compound wall, CMU backup with CMU veneer etc.)

I used two discrete worksets (Base bid and Alternate Bid), in addition to many others, to accomplish this and it works nicely BUT, you have to pay attention to the creation order and the presence of other walls when it comes to the joining of these walls.

The thicker wall (base bid) was negatively affecting the cleanup of interior, intersecting, walls (Alt Bid) with the thinner wall. This caused room tags to report "ambiguous" area values.

To resolve the cleanup, you either need to temporarily delete or move the offending wall so the walls can be stretched and trimmed to the wall they should clean up with. Then you can replace or reposition the offending wall and both base and alternate bid worksets should display correctly again.

Thanks to Mike @ Revit support who helped me work through this.

Clear as mud?

beegee
2003-07-04, 01:28 AM
Steve,

Could you achieve the same result by saving the " base bid" file as " alternative bid", then change the walls and locker room configuration in the new file ?

If changes to the "Base Bid" file become a problem, it could be linked to the "alternative bid" file , with the workset containing the locker room etc , turned off.

Would that be easier than changing, temporarily deleting walls, then putting them back etc ? ( I'm really not sure )

beegee

Steve_Stafford
2003-07-04, 02:40 AM
Perhaps another route would work...but only one common wall is involved in my equation. The whole locker room is the alternate, so the rear wall of the gym is the common wall. Worksets work really well except for what I described. Once understood it was no big deal. But the understanding...aah...that's why I posted. All is well now, for me.

I have only experimented with linking files very lightly thus far so I can't speak to it's effectivness for this situation.

If you want to see what I'm refering to, I posted the floor plan in the Gallery CLICK ME (http://www.zoogdesign.com/forums/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=594)

beegee
2003-07-04, 06:27 AM
OK, thanks.

I've always used the "two file" or "linked file ' system for alternates in the past, but next time .... I'll give the "worksets method " a go. :)

beegee