PDA

View Full Version : Please add casing option for doors and windows.

dcoe.139519
2007-05-22, 01:38 PM
Description:

My wish is to have a casing option on doors and windows. This would be an option such as adding mutins. You would also be able to define properties such as, a custom profile for the casing including width and depth and the material. This option could also be added to both interior and exterior sides independently.

For Architects showing window/door casing on interior elevations is critical for placement of windows and doors. This allows the architect to design the proper spacing between windows/doors from other objects such as corners of walls and other windows/doors. this would also allow you to add different exterior casing details than the interior and have them be dynamic in size when you change the size of the window.
In a nut shell this would save having to add multiple blocks to window/door styles for every style of window/door you have. In a as-built situation it is very common to have many different door/window sizes and styles.

How Used:

Next to the Mutin tab in the Display properties overrides window for both doors and windows! there would be a tab called "Casing". you would then be able to select a profile to use as the casing. then select which sides you want the casing on left, right, top and bottom. Obviously bottom would be disabled for doors. then you would also have the option to select which side of the window you want them on, either front or back.
Thats it. The casing would then automatically stretch with the window/door size. You could also have the option to add another casing to the door/window for the opposite side if there are different casings on each side of the door/window. FYI the origin point for the casing profile would locate it based of the inside edge of the window/door frame. It of course would be set to match the wall thickness.

AutoCAD Release: AutoCAD 2008

Feature Affinity: 3D

stelthorst
2007-05-22, 03:57 PM
Hi dcoe.139519 (Sorry I don't know your name)

First off welcome to AUGI and congrats on your first post. :)

I'm not an Architect but I think adding door and window casings is a great idea. Not only would it make the 3D model look more realistic but it would allow for scheduling the materials required and types of casing used.

H-Angus
2007-05-22, 04:27 PM
That would be a good addition to window/door/opening styles and shouldn't be too difficult for Autodesk to produce given the fact that some of it is already set such as the ability to stretch the lining to wall width.
Maybe something along the same lines as the window/doors sill options with the ability to add a profile as you say.

Although personally if I want to show door casings etc I would produce details using the detail component manager rather than show them on 1:50 plans sections etc. It would probably be useful for 3D renders, as I currently create them using mass elements or structural members on a as required basis.

As far as scheduling goes, if you can get your head around it you can currently use custom formula properties to achieve scheduling of casing, but I agree a simpler method built into door/window/opening styles would be more user friendly. In my experience if someone finds something difficult to use - they simply don't use it.

All in all excellent wish IMO :beer: And also welcome to AUGI and congrats on ya first post :beer: :beer:

Chuckyd67
2007-06-21, 06:59 PM
I have been wondering where this has been. In addition to showing the casing, there should be a way to schedule the casing shape. For example, a rectangular shaped casing is type A and a wedge-shaped casing is type B. Maybe even the lengths could be scheduled.

Ed Jobe
2007-06-21, 08:09 PM
Wouldn't this apply equally as well to windows? As far as the model goes, the casing could be controlled by the display rep so that you could control when you want it displayed.

libbybapa
2007-10-07, 06:07 PM
I would be happy if they just allowed a start/stop offset of the custom blocks that you can attach to the windows/doors similar to the option of the frames in the assemblies. I would make it so that if the offset distance extended the trim beyond the window, then that portion of the block would not scale and only the middle of the block (the size of the window) would scale. That would allow consistent miters for trim as well, or a profiling of the actual start/stop edge of the trim. That way you could simply attach the custom blocks, define the offset for scaling and the trim would have consistent offsets. The current method of attaching blocks is fairly easy, but to have to do so for each window size is a pain. The above outlined approach would be even simpler for the Autodesk folks to code. Regardless, scalable trim with consistent offsets (one way or another) is long overdue. Looking forward to it in the next release.