PDA

View Full Version : Room Tags in Different Views

ahefner
2007-05-23, 04:22 PM
I've been "crash coursing" in Revit Systems 2 and then switch jobs and the new company has Revit MEP. I don't remember coming across this before, but now I'm using customer files and not the tutorial "training" files.

I received the architect's background and have several Views... I start with the Level 1 Ceiling plan and "Duplicate" it to get my Lighting Plan started, but the first plot needs to have the FF&E and Room Names showing so I can see where the lighting needs to go.

I've gone into the VG to make sure all the categories are on/visible, but I can't seem to figure out how to make the Room Names and Numbers show up. When I create a new View Template (Lighting Plan), then apply that to my copied view it still doesn't work.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

(Maybe the tag tutorial has something that would help?)

ahefner
2007-05-23, 04:51 PM
One thing I think I remember about tags, is that they are view specific. So if you want the same tag in a different view you have to recreate it.

I could totally be wrong, so please let me know if you see something I'm missing.

mabrey
2007-05-23, 05:20 PM
You should be able to get room tags to show up in linked files. Go to visibility settings (VG) and click on the Revit Links tab. Click the "By Host View" button under Display Settings, and change the radio button to Custom. Now go to Annotation Categories, change the drop down menu to custom and scroll down to room tags and make sure they are visible. The other option is to copy/monitor the levels in the linked file and then copy rooms so you can tag them yourself.

This is of course assuming you have the architect's revit file? If not, disregard this message :Oops:

ahefner
2007-05-23, 06:22 PM
I don't see a Revit Links Tab or "By Host View" button nor Display Settings.

I do have the arch's Revit file, so maybe I'm not "LINKING" it correctly? I simply opened it and started my design. Is there a different way I'm supposed to be using their file (maybe this is my problem)?

mabrey
2007-05-23, 06:58 PM
The general workflow is to start a new project in MEP, then link in the architect's file under the File > Import/Link > Revit. Then you use the copy/monitor feature to copy in the levels and grids first, and then copy rooms once Revit knows where to put them. You have to set everything up in the options of the copy monitor panel (particularly the phases for the rooms), but then you should be good to go. This method is preferred because it leaves the architectural model untouched, and any changes in their model will be reflected in your model through the link. The way you are currently working, there is now way to easily implement changes in the architectural model to the MEP model once you have thrown in duct, pipe, equipment, etc.

Back to your original question now that I know you aren't linking the architectural model, just opening it. I'm confused as to why the room tags don't show up. If everything including annotations is turned on, (including worksets) then they should be visible. I just opened an architectural model in MEP 2008 and can see all of the room tags. You might want to click on the lightbulb in the bottom of the window next to the sunglasses icon and see if they were hidden in the view for some reason.

HTH,

Jon

Mottiqua
2007-05-23, 08:58 PM
I don't see a Revit Links Tab or "By Host View" button nor Display Settings.

I do have the arch's Revit file, so maybe I'm not "LINKING" it correctly? I simply opened it and started my design. Is there a different way I'm supposed to be using their file (maybe this is my problem)?

Room tags are view specific. You can't "see" them through a linked file. You have to C/M the rooms to get the room data that the architect sets up. Use "Room tag" on the design bar, and then tap inside the room....you don't have to type up the room name or anything, that automatically comes thru via the room data.

If you're simply opening the architectural model in MEP, then you should be able to see the room tags....that's where your visibility comes into play....could be turned off.

jvedio
2007-05-23, 10:34 PM
There is one other method, which we use in our office so that our room tags match the architects exactly.

Once the architects model is linked in, go the view properties->visibility/graphics overides for that particular view. Go to the revit links tab at the top and then press the "by host view button". Same process as mabrey post except for one thing when you choose custom you are going to select the linked view fly down and then select the view from the architects model that contains the room tags. This will allow you to view the tags exactly as the architect has shown them. Room tags are view specific so you need to make sure that you pick the proper architectural view that contains the tags.

ahefner
2007-05-23, 10:51 PM
Wow, I really appreciate everyone lending a hand... I'm the only one in the office that's even seen Revit to say the least about worked in it, and I've only gone through the training and the System 2 tutorials (just got MEP 2008). This is the first time I've had anyone else's file to mess with... Thank you all for explaining it to me (we must have skipped that page in the training but we did cover the AutoCAD link stuff just not the Revit).

I know I should be able to see the tags (since I'm just opening up the arch's Revit file, duplicating the Ceiling View, and not linking), but I can't. I've clicked ALL the VG categories in every tab to be ON, including the "show all categories" option. I've checked the "Light Bulb" and all the other little button/settings near the bottom and I've tried "Duplicating" their view with all the options available and can't figure out why I can see them. I finally just did like Mottiqua stated and re-tagged the rooms individually, but this is a pain in the neck as there are LOTS of rooms in the entire projects.

I'll try scrapping everything I've done so far (which isn't much) and go the Linked route to see if that helps.