PDA

View Full Version : Blue Duct?

CADMama
2007-05-23, 08:28 PM
I have been thrown into MEP here and I KNOW I am over my head.
Why are my ducts coming in BLUE and not black? I am working on the tutorials and the duct was coming in black and now it is coming in blue.
Does blue mean something is wrong?

mabrey
2007-05-23, 08:34 PM
Check Visibility Settings (type "VG"). Scroll down to ducts and check the line color. Someone probably set it up as default blue. Or check under object styles for the same thing (Settings > Object Styles).

-Jon

CADMama
2007-05-23, 08:42 PM
I went to VG and to Object Styles - no blue assigned anywhere.
Next guess????

mabrey
2007-05-23, 08:52 PM
Hmm..:confused: Are there any filters being used? Is everything connected to the duct blue (fittings, accessories, equipment)? What tutorial file are you working on?

-Jon

CADMama
2007-05-23, 09:02 PM
BINGO - 2 Mech in Creating Secondary Supply Air Systems has a filter on.
DANG IT! Why would they do that on the second level and not the first.
You win the prize today.

mabrey
2007-05-23, 09:02 PM
I don't know what tutorial file you are working on, but I just checked "i Drawing Primary Supply Air Duct.rvt." There are filters set up for Supply, Return, and Exaust Air as well as domestic water and sanitary. In the mechanical ceiling plans (levels 1 and 2) the filters are applied and assigned colors to the different systems under the visibility/graphics > Filters tab. Supply Air is blue, Return Air is red, and Exhast Air is green. If this is the case with the file you are working on, you can simply change the line color of the system needed, or just remove the filter from the visiblity/graphics list.

-Jon

edit: I just missed posting this before you resolved it. :) Oh, well. Happy Reviteering!

CADMama
2007-05-23, 09:04 PM
OK so I am beginning to tread water - I will keep you posted so you will know if you should through me a life preserver or not.

CadVizion
2008-11-05, 09:17 PM
I am having the same problem. I copied and paste on duct work from one file to a new one. What is the reason from my duct being blue? Sorry. It has blue outline.

macedogerardo
2008-11-07, 06:06 PM
It depends on what kind of diffuser you connect the duct to. If connected to a supply the duct will turn blue, if connected to return the duct will turn magenta, and if connected to a exhaust the duct will turn green they are the default colors on the diffuser families

Liamnacuac
2008-11-11, 05:37 PM
OK, There is quite a bit more to filters than just saying "filter ducts". I have the same problem, and I have two worksets set up. One for HVAC, and one for Hydronic piping (thank goodness we didn't setup electrical and plumbing worksets...).
I checked on the settings for filters and I have some perameters; Catagories and Parameters. The catagories make some sense to me, but how do I define a filter for say, supply HVAC duct, when the catagory is Duct (only-no distinctions)? so maybe that is defined in Parameters?
OK, let's look at parameters. I can filter by a plethora of options, let's pick one-system type. If I click on the browse button next to filter by system type, I get a PROJECT PARAMETERS menu. By now i'm starting to get lost in where I'm at and what I'm doing. So how do I set a duct to be a supply air duct or return, or exhaust or transfer?
Do I need to set up SYSTEMS prior to creating ducts? Do I create TYPES of duct?
How much of a disaster is it if my designer has created all of her ductwork as ARCH discipline, which is the default-stupid for MEP to do so, by the way.

oshalygin
2008-11-11, 05:52 PM
I have been thrown into MEP here and I KNOW I am over my head.
Why are my ducts coming in BLUE and not black? I am working on the tutorials and the duct was coming in black and now it is coming in blue.
Does blue mean something is wrong?

its not so bad once you get a few weeks to struggle through it lol.

trust me was there a week or two ago :D

this forum helps alot

Um I think its the visibility settings where you set it to blue...mine come up as blue also

mabrey
2008-11-14, 10:39 PM
OK, There is quite a bit more to filters than just saying "filter ducts". I have the same problem, and I have two worksets set up. One for HVAC, and one for Hydronic piping (thank goodness we didn't setup electrical and plumbing worksets...).
I checked on the settings for filters and I have some perameters; Catagories and Parameters. The catagories make some sense to me, but how do I define a filter for say, supply HVAC duct, when the catagory is Duct (only-no distinctions)? so maybe that is defined in Parameters?
OK, let's look at parameters. I can filter by a plethora of options, let's pick one-system type. If I click on the browse button next to filter by system type, I get a PROJECT PARAMETERS menu. By now i'm starting to get lost in where I'm at and what I'm doing. So how do I set a duct to be a supply air duct or return, or exhaust or transfer?
Do I need to set up SYSTEMS prior to creating ducts? Do I create TYPES of duct?
How much of a disaster is it if my designer has created all of her ductwork as ARCH discipline, which is the default-stupid for MEP to do so, by the way.

Setting up systems is the way to go, in order to get both ducts, fittings, and accessories to be the same color. Some people try to set up filters for each duct type, but this requires making a duplicate of each fitting for each desired duct type, so the names match the specified value in the filter. With systems, you simply create the system from the piece of equipment (or a floating connector) and when the ductwork is connected to the equipment, it will inherit the sytem information.

The defualt filters in the template, filter by "System Type" and look for the words "Supply," "Return," or "Exhaust." You could use these if you want, or if you wanted more options you could filter by "System Name" and give your different systems descriptive names. These principles apply to piping as well.

As far as creating the ductwork in the architectural discipline (I'm assuming your talking about the "view discipline" parameter for the view), that should have no effect. The view discipline is simply a graphical representation of a view. Architectural greys back mechanical stuff, while Mechanical greys back architectural, etc. In past releases this was a headache, as some elements would be hidden completely unless you were in a coordination view, but this seems to have been fixed now...

HTH,

-JON

Liamnacuac
2008-11-15, 12:13 AM
The defualt filters in the template, filter by "System Type" and look for the words "Supply," "Return," or "Exhaust." You could use these if you want, or if you wanted more options you could filter by "System Name" and give your different systems descriptive names. These principles apply to piping as well.

As far as creating the ductwork in the architectural discipline (I'm assuming your talking about the "view discipline" parameter for the view), that should have no effect. The view discipline is simply a graphical representation of a view. Architectural greys back mechanical stuff, while Mechanical greys back architectural, etc. In past releases this was a headache, as some elements would be hidden completely unless you were in a coordination view, but this seems to have been fixed now...

HTH,

-JON[/QUOTE]

Y,TH!

Thanks Jon