PDA

View Full Version : Non – print text

kornackiph
2007-06-01, 03:44 PM
Need “non – print” text with arrow and line type to be seen on screen only to place comments to others working on the project, but not to be printed with option to turn it on if need to be printed.

Jshaver
2007-06-01, 04:16 PM
Also a non-printed linetype would be a good addition. You can only do so much with ref-planes and ref-lines. As far as not printing text I have resulted to creating "working" views and placing the text I do not want printed there. For example If a column moved due to an engineering change I put a note/leader in that working view explaining the change. It works as long as users are doing there modeling in the "working" views.

sfaust
2007-06-01, 04:32 PM
Design review is free now. export to dwf and mark up. You can then link the dwf back into Revit and it will overlay where you put it. Just unlink the dwf when it's complete or when you print. Not quite the same, but it's really a pretty good system...

jsr13
2007-09-27, 02:42 AM
The Design Review option sounds like a good solution (workaround?), but why not have everything right there without having to involve another program? An option similar to the "plotting/non-plotting" layer property in AutoCAD is what it sounds like we're talking about.

Actually, commenting in Adobe Acrobat has just what we're talking about. There is an option in the print dialog for printing the "Document" only or the "Document and Markups". That way, the comments would always be there (until deleted) but can be controlled for all of the sheets with the one option in the print dialog. Acrobat also has an option for "viewing all comments" that lists all of the comments in a window at the bottom of the screen. You can even select the comment and it will take you directly to where the comment is. How nice would THAT be in Revit?

We are actually starting to receive electronic shop drawing submittals that we are commenting, applying our "stamp", adding security to the file and sending it back. i didn't mean to change the subject, but...

Steve_Stafford
2007-09-27, 03:17 AM
Legacy Revit perspective...non-print is a non-sequitur... if you don't want it to print then don't place it. :smile:

Before you blast me as a jerk, I'm not suggesting that placing notes for the team and such internal communication is a bad thing. I prefer to use communication views for such things, duplicate internal views that you can add all the notes you want, but the client never sees. That doesn't solve it for every view though.

My concern about non-print text and other elements is that it is another bloody thing for users to mistakenly use and create quality issues with the documents. And since the idea is meant to improve QA that would be ironic.

For true red lines on sheets and views, assuming that such things are actually done in a computer, maybe more so in the future, then it doesn't seem a workaround to me to use Design Review. It is what it was created for. A tool to allow a non-techie document reviewer to add digital comments to a project. Within Revit a "post-it" type feature for internal markup and review would be a lot better than just having a subtle little parameter to make a text type non-print that users can miss or misuse.

For what it is worth, most of the errors I find in documents are on paper anyway, something about staring at a screen disguises the most glaring mistakes that "pop" off the page when you take a sheet off the plotter. Plus we shouldn't be proofing our own work either eh? :wink:

Reminds me of a time when three of us were standing around staring at a redline around a room on plotted plan view. We all stared at it and couldn't tell what was wanted, no note, just the circle. Finally it dawned on us...no door to the room, duh...no way to get IN the room. It WAS a looong day though...

my 3.5 cents....