PDA

View Full Version : Linked File Errors

Mottiqua
2007-06-05, 04:31 PM
I'm having a problem when my architect moves walls (she has her own model file, and we have our own MEP) It won't allow us to open the file until we delete certain wall fixtures ie, receptacles, wall switches, fire alarm strobes....doesn't give us an error to resolve the error....only to delete it....AND I can't be "shown" where the item is.....
Why is it that when an architect moves a wall, my items won't go with it??? This is driving me crazy

brendan.upton
2007-06-06, 01:50 AM
Hi Mottiqua,

You may have already tried this, but can you somehow lock your elements to the wall in question so that they might move with the it when it moves??

Cheers,
Bren

mjdanowski
2007-06-06, 12:45 PM
I'm having a problem when my architect moves walls (she has her own model file, and we have our own MEP) It won't allow us to open the file until we delete certain wall fixtures ie, receptacles, wall switches, fire alarm strobes....doesn't give us an error to resolve the error....only to delete it....AND I can't be "shown" where the item is.....
Why is it that when an architect moves a wall, my items won't go with it??? This is driving me crazy

I have been also getting this error. I have no idea why it is doing this...

mwiggins121466
2007-06-08, 08:09 PM
I get this also. I submitted this to Autodesk and here was the response.

These warnings come up most of the time if there are information in your model that is hosted by other object that are linked in such as the Architectural model where the information is no longer existing in linked file. One thing to try is to use the "Show" functionality to try and locate these elements. The first thing that I would check is what changed has been made to the main hosting objects that these elements are trying to locate to get hosted. If this does not help, and if you are not able to isolate the issue, further, can you please upload the project and all the linked files as well so I can take a closer look

Have not had a chance to follow up with the fact the "show" button is not available. I will let you know what they say.

Mottiqua
2007-06-11, 04:48 PM
cool, thanks ya'll for letting me know i'm not crazy...
Keep us posted.

mwiggins121466
2007-06-20, 05:12 PM
I talked to Autodesk support today about this. I was told that this is being worked on and that there would be a build coming out soon to address it.

kyle.bernhardt
2007-06-20, 06:20 PM
Guys,
We just released a build that addresses this issue, you can download it at http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=9262907. We actually held back the release of the build to incorporate the fix of this issue. We had heard about this but not seen a reproducible case until recently. I had seen your reports about it, and knew it was important, but without a reproducible case it's very difficult for our Dev team to figure out what's going on. Of course, once we could see it, the decision was quite clear.

Previously, depending on what's been done in the Architectural model you'd see one of three scenarios when the Architect changes an element in the linked model that serves as the face host for the Face-hosted element in the MEP model.

Revit picks up this change and moves the element along with it. This is the best-case scenario.
Revit detects the change in the element, tries to maintain the hosting of the MEP element, but cannot. The user is presented with an error and is prompted with the option to Unhost the element. I temporary reference plane is created to host the element in the MEP model. This is really the only option, as Revit has lost the host face from the Link.
Revit detects the change in the element, tries to keep the host but gets really confused. The user is presented with an error and the option to Delete the offending element. This is the worst-case scenario.

Basically what we've done is removed #3 from the table, and changed the behavior so that at worst the element is Unhosted. As this is really the only option, rather than present the user with the obvious choice, this is now a Warning (bottom-right corner or window).

Ideally, we'd like to have this be avoided altogether, but there are situations where it just can't (Architect deletes wall, places Door where receptacle lies, etc). If you have cases where you think you shouldn't be losing hosting, please report these to our support team.

HTH,
Kyle B

dave.redding
2007-08-06, 09:49 PM
In regards to this issue, we do have the latest build, and we have hosted objects to a linked in ceiling.

When we updated the background last time, a bunch of the objects became unhosted and then spun a random direction.

I can reproduce this.

Should I post this?

kyle.bernhardt
2007-08-07, 02:31 AM
This issue should be reported to the Subscription Support team. They are best suited to assist you with such issues.

Cheers,
Kyle B