PDA

View Full Version : New Revit class in Orange County

bill0246
2007-06-07, 12:41 AM
Just to announce some new users coming soon from Orange Coast Community College in Newport Beach, CA. I have (ouch!) 40 students in my course. They will be assigned to post here in the next few weeks, as my Mt. San Antonio students, and Santiago High did a few weeks back. Hopefully they will be attending the SCRUG meetings when they are done with the 8 week, Tuesday-Thursday class. I think 40 students speaks to the demand for Revit knowledge in OC!

kpaxton
2007-06-07, 07:41 PM
Bill,
hehehe... bring 'em on... bring 'em on....

I mean (cough-cough)... WELCOME STUDENTS!!! :)

Sounds like you're keeping very busy! Keep up the good work!
Kyle

SwtFlwrGrl83
2007-06-07, 08:26 PM
Hey Mr. Brown you move on so quickly. Have you forgotten about us little people back at Mt. Sac?? Heres one for you? How do you curve a wall??

sleimgruber06
2007-06-07, 08:33 PM
Bill,
hehehe... bring 'em on... bring 'em on....

I mean (cough-cough)... WELCOME STUDENTS!!! :)

Sounds like you're keeping very busy! Keep up the good work!
Kyle
I'm one of those 40 students K-Pax...think you can take me on?! ;) I'll be sure we play poker next AU... :mrgreen:

Oh and Mr. Brown... where's my 10% ?! Haha...

sleimgruber06
2007-06-07, 08:40 PM
Hey Mr. Brown you move on so quickly. Have you forgotten about us little people back at Mt. Sac?? Heres one for you? How do you curve a wall??
I'm assuming you're using Revit Building v9...

Select the wall command, and up on top there is a bunch of buttons (Line, Rectangle, Circle, Tangent Arc, etc...) Its all located in the down arrow!

See Attached Pics - Hope this helps and welcome to the world of REVIT!

SwtFlwrGrl83
2007-06-07, 09:31 PM
Haha.....boy is my face red. Thanks for the obvious...Jazmin

SwtFlwrGrl83
2007-06-07, 09:43 PM
thanks for the tip...heres another one for you. When I add an arc to this newly found curved wall of mine. The ends of the wall are still curved, but the arc itself is straight.

sleimgruber06
2007-06-07, 10:34 PM
thanks for the tip...heres another one for you. When I add an arc to this newly found curved wall of mine. The ends of the wall are still curved, but the arc itself is straight.
Are you adding an arched opening to the curved wall?

cganiere
2007-06-12, 08:45 PM
OCC is in Costa Mesa which is next to Newpor t Beach.
cganiere

SwtFlwrGrl83
2007-06-12, 10:41 PM
Yes I am. Im adding an arch opening to a curved wall.

truevis
2007-06-13, 12:00 PM
Yes I am. Im adding an arch opening to a curved wall.I think you'll need a void to cut the wall that is a wedge on the bottom and some kind of a tapered cylinder (?) shape on top.

pauline.fernandez
2007-06-13, 02:29 PM
Hello everyone.
This is Pauline from Bill's Revit class. Just wanted to introduce myself. I'm a part-time student and a full-time worker. I'm doing a major career change so I'm pretty new in the field. The class, so far, has taught me a lot and I'm looking forward to discovering more of the wonders of Revit.

Cheers!

hijessieness
2007-06-13, 10:04 PM
HEY EVERYONE!

My name is Diana and I'm in Bill's Revit Course at Orange Coast College. Although AutoCAD is a good program Revit seems very promising. Revit is short and sweet gives you what you need when you need it...unless you can't find your *BLANK*. So far I like the program, the class is great! Especially the comments for AutoCAD users LOL.

Hey Joey and Justin...OOPS!

hijessieness
2007-06-13, 11:38 PM
Hi people! (What up Diana!)

My name is Justin and like the 2 prior people before me I'm also part of Bill's great and wonderful Revit class. I'm an Architecture student that loves to party and goof off, but of course not during class. That's when I give my utmost attention to what we are doing. Good luck to all the others in the class.

Justin

irasmo2002
2007-06-14, 03:39 AM
Hey, its Irasmo and wanted to know if I needed to download REVIT 9 or REVIT 9.1?

copetedavid
2007-06-14, 05:34 AM
hello everyone

My name is Juan David Copete but i go by David. i am currently in the revit class in occ and i have to admit this is an awesome program, and i cant wait to learn other new things that it has to offer. I am a full time student and im going to transfer to Woodbury in San Diego during fall 2007. i cant wait. im firendly so dont be shy to say hi.

jonr.108994
2007-06-14, 05:37 AM
Hi Bill;

Class is great so far. We are transitioning to Revit in our office - Carol (Also in the class)and I have a little experience with Revit already. I think an 8 week class is a great format to gain confidence in the program and you have already showed us some things in the first three classes that our Autodesk vendor/trainer did not have any answers for when we took that training!

Its great that OCC is taking on Revit and I look forward to having a few OCC Revit grads in the office in the coming months / years. Its diffucult to find good staff w/ Revit experience.! I'll be keeping an eye out for some star students that may be looking for work!

thanks

Jon K. Reeves, AIA LEED AP
Dougherty + Dougherty Architects LLP
jonr@ddarchitecture.com

chayoybeto
2007-06-14, 05:42 AM
Hey Bill, just to let you know how I appreciated the Revit class that you are teaching us,
it has been only 2 nights and I already love it, it is great, this will be the software for
the very near future that it is going to take over the ADT and the Auto Cad.

Blessings to you Bill, your help and teachings are very much appreciated.
Roberto.

carolr
2007-06-14, 05:47 AM
hi everyone

i'm currently enrolled in bill's OCC class. i work in an architecture firm in costa mesa that is moving from ADT to Revit. i've worked on a few projects now in revit but i'm hoping the class will help me be more efficient and learn some easier ways to do things. i've already completed a bid set for a small project in a Revit / Cad hybrid set and i currently am using Revit for another project that is in schematic design. Revit was very helpful in showing me problem areas and areas that needed to be detailed and i'm hoping to learn more on how to do things in Revit so that coordination issues can be resolved sooner.

i'm also anxious to see how people have transitioned their CAD drawings/detail standards into Revit and if anyone here has used Especs for Revit.

look forward to "talking" with everyone soon. hope to see some of you at the next SCRUG meeting. :-)

howartfull
2007-06-14, 09:22 AM
Hi Bill,
Just signing on to say hi as another OCC student.

As a long time acad user I am finding I keep slamming the space bar to complete a keyboard shortcut - I'm in sooo much trouble with that. In fact as I was working on a drawing yesterday on acad and I realized I was staring at the screen for a few moments waiting for my command to take effect only to find I needed to hit enter - major Homer doh! Combine all the new ones of Revit with I the old keyboard commands that I have developed/learned for SketchUp, Photoshop, Illustrator, Word.... it will be interesting to see what comes to fruition if I am not careful of which program I have up 8)

See you in class,
Andrew Fuller

lphulbu
2007-06-14, 09:28 AM
Hello Everyone

My name is Colin Nguyen. i am currently in the revit class and also know the basic of autcad. I am a full time student and im going to try and transfer to Cal Poly fall 2008.

jeffrix123077
2007-06-14, 03:39 PM
Hello everyone and to Mr. Bill, my name is Jeffrey. I am currently working for Nadel Architects, the most prestigious arch firm in the US and I'm also a part-time soldier with the California Army National Guard. I would like everybody know that I'm currently dating AutoCAD and love her so much but Revit...I think I love her more and I'm thinking of breaking up with AutoCAD....shhhh don't tell her yet :) Oh well got to go now....See you all tonight

sonalidk
2007-06-14, 04:54 PM
Hi

I am following Bill's Revit class in OCC and I am so excited about learning Revit. I work part-time in an architectural company in Newport Beach. I am loving this program. It's great. !!

Sonali

ajavan
2007-06-14, 05:39 PM
Hello everybody and The AutoCAD Users :)

Revit is exciting, powerful, user-friendly and everything else that we have been looking for.
Even though I am a mechanical engineer, but I am falling in love with the architectural version. God knows what will happen to me when I learn the MEP version.

Bill, you are great at what you are doing. Very cool class. Thank you.

Ali Javan, PE, LEED® AP
GLP Engineering, Inc.

lsoyc
2007-06-14, 07:57 PM
Hi everyone,

Revit is a very powerful program but easy to use. It reminds me about "The Sims" (a game from EA). The user interface is as easy to use as playing the game, but powerful enough to provide all required information for construction document. Good to know this program.

Leon Y. So, P.E.
GLP Engineering, Inc

crymle
2007-06-14, 09:16 PM
Ha, I found the page.

Hi Bill. I'm fulfilling the "homework assignment." :) I'm Crystal, just graduated from Woodbury University in Burbank. I went to OCC a couple of years ago before transfering. Now, I'm trying to make it in the "real world." See you in class!

crymle
2007-06-14, 09:22 PM
Oh, forgot to say: I love revit!

Rpena83
2007-06-14, 11:55 PM
Hello, my name is Rosa Pena. I am new to Revit and know little about AutoCAD. I am a Project Coordinator at Carter & Burgess, Inc. in Santa. I am interested in learning Revit because I am supporting one of my firms most recently won projects, the John Wayne Airport Expansion, which requires us to use Revit.

jeffrix123077
2007-06-14, 11:59 PM
Mr. Bill, how do you create "cornice" on Revit?

cn.gxpher
2007-06-15, 01:08 AM
Christopher here. I'm taking the Revit course at OCC taught by Mr. Brown. I haven't started intern work as of this date, but hope to soon.

JOEY4713
2007-06-15, 03:13 AM
Hello Revit Users,
My name is Joey. I already posted one wrong post so hopefully this one works. I am in the Orange County Revit class so far everything is going great learning lots of new stuff. And a little about myself, I work at an architecture firm and I graduated occ this last semester.
Okay that is all for now see you at the nest posting.

rromo_rivas
2007-06-15, 07:40 AM
hey all,
im Ruben Romo also in Mr. Brown's Revit class. I'm an ITT-Tech graduate, I've been working for a structural engineering firm (Wright Engineers) for 2+ years now.

Thanks,
Ruben

fcorleone
2007-06-17, 12:13 AM
Hi I am Fredy Corleone

Have been working in the Architectural Field for more than 8 years
I am attending Bill Brown Revit class @ Orange Coast College

mmartingr
2007-06-17, 04:43 AM
Hi Bill! just wanted to say that your class is just what we needed to introduce us to this software "Revit", I hope there will be additional classes available as a follow-up.
I have an architectural office in Newport Beach designing custom homes in the area and am always looking to increase our quality of service.
Just as a note we are presently looking for a few good men and women to help us with our present work load.

Mark.Bookspan
2007-06-19, 11:05 PM
Hi Bill:

Many thanks again for taking me in on a petition. I'm a Project Manager at Carter Burgess here in Orange County, and caught wind of the Revit Buzz here at my office and then again check it out at one of the User Groups meeting at LPA.

I have managed cad techs for many years and have been responsible for what is drawn and how long it takes staff to develop drawings. Never taking the time to learn how to use Auto Cad but wanting too.

More latter , have to run one of the bosses is asking for me ,,,

See you in class.

Mark

LostDeadBoy8
2007-06-19, 11:44 PM
Hi! My name is Trung Luu. I go by the nickname Luu. Just want to say Revit is pretty koo and so fun. Friends keep telling me not to take this class in the summer because it is a bit waste of time but I dont think so. This class is great and learning something new is great! If only the air conditioner work as full power, it make my summer lol.

TipToeUp2
2007-06-21, 06:09 AM
Hi,
My name is Steve Lam. I am a new Revit student at O.C.C.

nooshingolban
2007-06-21, 06:54 AM
Hello,

I'm one of the Revit class students @ OCC.
My name is Nooshin. (It's pronounced Noo-sheen :))

I have an MA in Architecture from abroad. Up to now, I've been an ACAD user & now I'm very much interested in learning Revit (and anything that makes life easier!)
So I guess I was super lucky to find a class with a super instructor, and a cool support group.
Thank you for the opportunity.

By the way, I have 6 months working experience in US and am in search for a suitable position now.

Brian Myers
2007-06-21, 01:59 PM
Welcome everyone to AUGI! I hope you enjoy your experience in class as well as with Revit. Feel free to keep the questions coming! 8) :beer: